OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB2

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB2
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB2

Postby haze » Tue May 07, 2019 12:10 am

haze Tue May 07, 2019 12:10 am
Dear all,

Since 2019.1 XB1 a lot of problems were found and fixed. We're adding the last few things and approaching the feature lock point quickly. As this is still an experimental release, please do not use this for production purposes.

Please ensure that you have a NVIDIA driver version 419.x or newer.

What's new in 2019.1 XB2

AI Up-sampler

Octane 2019.1 now includes a built-in AI up-sampler in Octane Imager. The AI up-sampler works similar to the AI denoiser first introduced in Octane 4, with a progressive and a one-stop up-sampling mode. You can now specify multiple sampling modes (2x2, 4x4) up-sampling for your rendered image, and the AI up-sampling would automatically render at a lower resolution in less time and up-scale to the resolution you specified.

Below are some comparisons of the same scene rendered with different AI Up-Sampling settings:

Kernel: PathTracing
AI Up-Sampling: Off
Resolution: 1920x1080
Samples: 4000
Render Time: 13mins 44 seconds
ATV_PATH_TRACING_kernel_1080p_resolution_4000_samples_regular_rendering_13min_44secs.png

AI Up-Sampling: On
AI Up-Sampling Mode: On completion | 2x2
Render Time: 3 mins 49 seconds
ATV_PATH_TRACING_kernel_1080p_resolution_4000_samples_2x_upsampling_on_completion_3min_49secs.png

AI Up-Sampling: On
AI Up-Sampling Mode: Progressive | 2x2
Render Time: 4 mins 31 seconds
ATV_PATH_TRACING_kernel_1080p_resolution_4000_samples_2x_progressive_upsampling_10_min_samples_10_max_upsampling_interval_4min_31secs.png

Spectron Volumetric spotlights

We have improved the rendering of scattering in participating media using the new step length parameter.Reducing the step length in the light medium now reduces the amount of samples per pixel you can render in a given time budget, and it also reduces the noise in the fog.

Below are examples of results with varying volumetric step length and samples per pixel:

Volumetric step length: 20
Samples per pixel: 450
lights-20.png

Volumetric step length: 50
Samples per pixel: 700
lights-50.png

Volumetric step length: 999
Samples per pixel: 1200
lights-999.png

Vertex Displacement Auto-Bump Shading

The vertex displacement feature now includes an autobump option (for height map displacement only currently) to introduce more detail into the mesh without requiring high subdivision levels at all times. As we know, high subdivision levels introduces higher mesh complexity into the scene, and thus increases render time and pre-processing time per subdivided mesh.

We have introduced autobump feature for vertex displacement so that details within a triangle is preserved without excessively subdivide a triangle continuously to get the displacement details you want. Basically the extra detail of a triangle is moved into shading space by generating a bump map from the displacement map, and the normals inside a triangle is perturbed from this automatically generated bump map during render time, similar to the normal workflow of bump map in Octane.

Below are some examples of the feature:

Subdivision level 6 vs Subdivision level 6 + autobump

As shown above, the autobump can introduce extra details for a subdivision level that the particular subdivision cannot provide sufficiently.

Subdivision level 6 vs Subdivision level 3 vs Subdivision level 3+ autobump

In this second image, we can see that a lower subdivision level (level 3) shows poor detail compared to a higher subdivision level (level 6), but the discrepancy can be made up by the autobump feature without introducing a higher subdivision level.

Changes since OctaneRender 2019.1 XB1:

Improvements
  • Increase maximum number of alpha intersections to 200. This fixes some scenes that have a huge amount of alpha maps.
  • Layered materials: Added material layer pin to the base materials.
  • Layered materials: Improved optimization of layer sampling.
  • Reduced soft limit of subdivision in vertex displacement node to 6, you can still override it with larger values if needed.
  • Allow subdivision to be cancelled if it is taking too long.
  • We now remember the last directory when using "Import..." menu item in the node graph editor panel.

Bug Fixes
  • Camera: Fixed stereo rendering and camera motion blur for OSL camera.
  • Cryptomatte: Fixed Cryptomatte passes for distinct nodes.
  • Cryptomatte: Fixed updates to Cryptomatte passes after changing material and object layer assignments.
  • Deep Pixels: Fixed incorrect maximum samples rendered when deep pixels is enabled without render passes.
  • Displacement: Fixed vertex displacement mid level calculation with displacement offset.
  • Displacement: Fixed displacement object layers.
  • Displacement: Fixed displacement on UV set 2 and 3 when UV set 1 is invalid.
  • Emission: Fixed emission if "keep instance power" is enabled, but sampling rate is 0.
  • Emission: Fixed emitters with "keep instance power" when rendering a simple mesh.
  • Exporter: Fixed some inconsistent behaviour in Alembic exporter when dealing with zero matrices.
  • LiveDB: Fixed LiveDB and LocalDB components not refreshing after loading a scene.
  • Lua: Fixed default values being ignored when building pin infos for linkers.
  • Lua: Fixed mistake causing the names and labels of some dynamic pins returned by the Lua API to be empty.
  • Lua: Fixed stack overflow when using octane.gui.bind().
  • Material: Fixed wrong orientation for bump maps for triangles mirrored in UV space.
  • Material: Fixed roughness not being updated after a scattering in a medium.
  • Material: Fixed layered materials' bumps/normals fireflies.
  • Material: Fixed specular material GGX issue when using high IOR and roughness.
  • Material: Fixed GGX calculation producing nan value when camera is looking directly at the surface.
  • Material: Fixed transmission weight incorrectly contributing sometimes.
  • Material: Fixed some other layered material inconsistencies.
  • Material: Fixed metallic modes switching not causing the right IORs to get updated.
  • Material: Fixed universal material when using 0 transmission and 0 diffuse reflection.
  • Material: Fixed overexposed transmission in layered material.
  • Material: Fixed a case where roughness was contributed to a following layer despite being masked out.
  • Material: Fixed material duplications during rebuilds, which sometimes causes crashes with displacement materials.
  • Material: Fixed metallic RGB IOR when albedo is black.
  • Material: Layered materials: Fixed fake shadow throughput.
  • Network Render: Fixed Cryptomatte network rendering.
  • Network Render: Fixed vertex attributes not working with network render.
  • Network Render: Fixed OSL Camera not working over network render.
  • Network Render: Fixed SDF not working over network render.
  • Nodegraph: Fixed octane.node.getPinInfoIx(...).name was returning the label instead of the pin name.
  • Planetary Environment: Fixed sun disappearing before reaching the horizon in planetary mode when altitude is arbitrarily high.
  • Render Pass: Fixed volume Z-depth passes.
  • Stability: Fixed multiple deadlocks due to vertex displacement.
  • Stability: Fixed a possible crash if the subdivider fails for some reason.
  • Stability: Fixed a crash when stopping the render engine and then starting a material preview.
  • Stability: Fixed crash and lock happening when rendering is stopped sometimes.
  • Stability: Fixed a crash during activation on some machines with RAID setups.
  • Stability: Fixed rare crash issue on exit.
  • Stability: Fixed a possible crash caused by animated joints.
  • Vectron: Allow Vectron nodes to inherit their bounding boxes from their inputs if P_SIZE is disconnected. This lets you create operators which automatically resize bounds as necessary.
  • Vectron: Fixed a number of inaccuracies and performance problems related to volume SDFs used as inputs to Vectron nodes.
  • Vectron: Fixed a crash when the same volume SDF is used as input in more than one OSL geometry input.
  • Vectron: Fixed material and object layers connected beneath some vectron nodes.
  • Vectron: Add basic Vectron operators (union and subtract).
  • Volume: Fixed volume overlap behaviour for higher step lengths. Note: it is still important to use the same step length for all volumes that overlap each other.
  • Volume: Fixed object transforms in OSL for volumes and volume SDFs.
  • Volume: Fixed double voxel counts.
  • Volume: Fixed volume step length setting not affecting the quality of volume shadow.
  • UI: Fixed sometimes negative frame counts.
  • UI: Some small layout adjustments to the application preferences panel.
  • UI: Fixed clipping of IP address in the network render preference window.
  • UI: Clean up login window (links, font).
  • Misc: Fixed irradiance and clay mode
  • Misc: Fixed autofocus picking when using fast rounded edges.

Downloads

Downloads for users with an Enterprise subscription license

OctaneRender Enterprise 2019.1 XB2 (Windows installer)

OctaneRender Enterprise 2019.1 XB2 (Windows zip)

OctaneRender Enterprise 2019.1 XB2 (Mac OS)

OctaneRender Enterprise 2019.1 XB2 (Linux)

Downloads for users with a Studio subscription license

OctaneRender Studio 2019.1 XB2 (Windows installer)

OctaneRender Studio 2019.1 XB2 (Windows zip)

OctaneRender Studio 2019.1 XB2 (Mac OS)

OctaneRender Studio 2019.1 XB2 (Linux)

Downloads for users with a regular V4 license

OctaneRender 2019.1 XB2 (Windows installer)

OctaneRender 2019.1 XB2 (Windows zip)

OctaneRender 2019.1 XB2 (Mac OS)

OctaneRender 2019.1 XB2 (Linux)

Happy rendering
Your OTOY NZ team
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB2 [latest 2019.1.x]

Postby Despot » Thu May 30, 2019 9:43 am

Despot Thu May 30, 2019 9:43 am
Happy as a pig in shite... as we say in the North of England ;)
Despot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ramone163 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:52 am

ramone163 Thu May 30, 2019 10:52 am
Are you going to improve AI Up-sampler? For now, it is not so perfect. Topas Gigapixel AI makes the job better for now.
And how to view AI Up-samplered image? I do not see any new pass.
Attachments
AI.png
GPU: 980+1080+1080Ti; 3ds max;
Behance portfolio; Handmadefont.com;
ramone163
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm

PolderAnimation Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm
Auto bump makes us very happy. Great feature! Thanks guys!
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby noldo » Thu May 30, 2019 1:02 pm

noldo Thu May 30, 2019 1:02 pm
The vertex displacement auto bump shading don't work in layered specular layer
noldo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Thu May 30, 2019 2:31 pm

linograndiotoy Thu May 30, 2019 2:31 pm
noldo wrote:The vertex displacement auto bump shading don't work in layered specular layer

I think it's a refresh issue. Try detaching/attaching the node. It should update. Good catch anyway!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby noldo » Thu May 30, 2019 2:39 pm

noldo Thu May 30, 2019 2:39 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
noldo wrote:The vertex displacement auto bump shading don't work in layered specular layer

I think it's a refresh issue. Try detaching/attaching the node. It should update. Good catch anyway!

I have already reported the update node displacement problem some time ago, but in this case i refer to the fact that the auto bump affect only the base material of layered material. If i add a specular layer, the displacement node (only auto bump part) don't affect the specular, but only the diffuse
noldo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby noldo » Thu May 30, 2019 2:42 pm

noldo Thu May 30, 2019 2:42 pm
This is what i mean
Attachments
Preview Render Target.png
noldo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby LFedit » Thu May 30, 2019 3:05 pm

LFedit Thu May 30, 2019 3:05 pm
ramone163 wrote:Are you going to improve AI Up-sampler? For now, it is not so perfect. Topas Gigapixel AI makes the job better for now.
And how to view AI Up-samplered image? I do not see any new pass.

Exactly what I saw, worst part about this is, I am going through this problem of jaggidy speculars on a project I am working on at this exact moment... But I am in V4.
Win 7 64bit/ Nvidia Maximus k5000 and k20
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu May 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Notiusweb Thu May 30, 2019 3:38 pm
I am getting GPU orange and red crashes when I use up-sampling. Octane does not like me turning it on and off and modifying in an active scene.

So, I went in Preferences to see if I would be able to manage the GPUs which would be doing the up-sampling, like Denoiser.....

And then I see this, new in 2019 XB2...

WTF...

WTF is THIS!....

New_Pref_1.jpg

Why is there a side scroller - for a later column for Sub Sampling, maybe?...
If so, Okay. But it is not there now....
But, actually, not a big deal because I can adjust the column width and make it to my liking with the double arrow thing. Which is Nice....
BUT IT DOESN'T MAINTAIN IT!!! When I close out of preferences, the side-slider is back....FOR NO REASON

AND then, why is it cramped so vertically?
There is all that space at the bottom, unused. Okay, fine....
BUT! - we can not adjust the shape to our liking! So, there is an unnecessary visual bottleneck....
why...for bottleneck's sake?...
I love Bottlenecks sake when I am drinking HARD LIQUOR FROM A BOTTLE....Not while selecting GPUs in Octane....
Let us drag and and shape that GPU display...
for the love of Denoiser! Sheesh!

Seriously,
(1) please make that GPU-list more UI friendly so that we can shape the displayed GPU list to our liking. Feels too cramped.
(2) if sub-sampling uses specific GPU, maybe allow us, like Tonemappping and Denoiser, to pick and assign a GPU for that purpose. This may alleviate issues.
Thank you.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Development Build Releases