OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby rohandalvi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:53 am

rohandalvi Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:53 am
That's what the new vertex displacement is doing. It's not auto, you just set a subdivision level and it displaces based on that subdivision level. Arnold does the exact same thing. The only thing missing, which the developer said they're adding, is auto bump. That's helps you to keep the subdivision levels low and get extra detail via bump mapping. It gives very good results. Even Redshift has a similar option.

Voxel displacement, the older displacement model in octane, ( the one now named to texture displacement) is fast but had a ton of limitations and issues as we've all faced for years.

Standard vertex based subdivision displacement is the only thing that works 100 prevent without any issues. Yes, it's just subdividing the geometry but the idea is that it's done at render time and your viewport doesn't get heavy and it doesn't generate cracks in the geometry like the older displacement model.
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 am

divasoft Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 am
vijay_thirukonda wrote:
divasoft wrote:
haze wrote:As Vijay said, please try to use new Vertex displacement node. Not texture displacement.

If you did, please send us the scene, because we can't reproduce this kind of tearing with the new vertex displacement system.

What then is the meaning of the texture disp? I need to make an incredibly large level of smoothing of the model with vector displacement to achieve detail. With so many polygons, Cinema will simply refuse to work. The displacement should not work this way. In vray, redshift, corona, it works as it is usually expected, and not as yours.
In Redshift, I can create a plane from one polygon to get an displace with good detail without shattered holes.
The meaning of the disp is that with a small number of polygons to achieve great detail surface. What you propose to do is contrary to the meaning of the disp using.

Did you try our inbuilt subdivision?.
The attachment Subdivision.png is no longer available

The attachment Subdivision1.png is no longer available

Regarding spike please make sure image is smooth. I'm planning to add min and max height settings to deal with these spikes. I haven't seen any holes until the geometry itself is broken, could you please send me the scene.

And at last, I'm sure in Redshift also you should subdivide/tessellate the geometry before doing displacements.

Also, I'm adding auto bump mapping option to vertex displacement node like other renderers to get fine details in a lower subdivision/tessellate settings

Yes, i tried subdivision and result as you can see above.
RedShift make smooth disp without holes on same geometry, without needs to smooth the model. How many polys i need to produce to achieve this details in octane vertex disp? Billion? And if a have many different displaced models in scene? It's not right way, guys.
So, disp in octave in fundamentals still broken.
Attachments
Снимок.PNG
Last edited by divasoft on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:12 am

Notiusweb Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:12 am
So...I'm going to keep at this again because now I was able to save this scene when displacement became broken, so please have a look.
On the yellow sphere, I changed the material type to layered, added a specular layer. As the material type changed, the displacement disappeared and had to be added in again.
So I added in a Vertex Displacement again, on the Base Diffuse layer...
and now, changing the values of the displacement sliders does nothing, like it is broken.

Displacement_2019_XB1_02.orbx
(8.65 MiB) Downloaded 262 times

PS - Displacement

But seriously, what can I say about this forum....
'Dis Place'is Mint... :ugeek:

THX!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:20 am

Notiusweb Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:20 am
You know what's funny about the scene I just uploaded, even though the yellow sphere's displacement is non-responsive, you can actually work around the stall by changing the displacement on the blue sphere.
It almost acts as a Master Displacement reset...
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:24 am

vijay Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:24 am
divasoft wrote:Yes, i tried subdivision and result as you can see above.
RedShift make smooth disp without holes on same geometry, without needs to smooth the model. How many polys i need to produce to achieve this details in octane vertex disp? Billion? And if a have many different displaced models in scene? It's not right way, guys.
So, disp in octave in fundamentals still broken.

I can see in your screenshot that you enabled tessellation in redshift, In octane, we call it subdivision settings. They have max subdivision option, in octane, we call it subdivision level. They have some more options coz they support adaptive subdivision option which currently we don't support(we will be adding it later). The main difference is their max subdivision option is defaulted to 6(just a guess, might be another), but in octane, the default is zero. unlike Redshift, you need to set a number to enable the tessellation in octane.

And Regarding holes and peaks, it could be a bug, we couldn't able to reproduce with our sample so could you please send me the scene to investigate.
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby funk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:25 am

funk Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:25 am
Thanks OTOY. There is some nice stuff in this release!
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 am

funk Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 am
I'm just loading some of my previous bug reports into 2019 and noticed this scene looks completely different:
viewtopic.php?p=358812#p358812

2019_vs_2018_medium.png
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:50 am

funk Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:50 am
The vertex displacement "mid level" doesnt seem to be working correctly.

Im applying a displacement to a sphere, and it works fine with the old texture displacement using mid level 0.5.

The new vertex displacement mid level shift the sphere towards one side (almost like I'm move the sphere)

Select the "mat1 default" material group and swap between the new and old displacement

NOTE: If you set mid level to 0 on both displacement nodes, the sphere matches (no position shift)
Attachments
vertex_displacement_mid_level_bug.orbx
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 231 times
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:39 am

funk Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:39 am
In addition to the above problem, vertex displacement mid level also seems to stop working if you plug into a vertex displacement mixer
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:42 am

divasoft Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:42 am
New round edges looks pretty good. Good work guys.
Attachments
Render target.jpg
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases