OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC6

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC6
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC6 [latest 2018]

Postby divasoft » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:32 am

divasoft Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:32 am
Dear developers, are not you ashamed of it?
Attachments
Снимок.PNG
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am

Notiusweb Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am
@Divasoft - You are correct, I am yes thinking you may not have tried it.
And so are you getting this with say a simple geometry and a simple displacement texture, because if not, your situation may be something more unique and specific, which may warrant more troubleshooting. So, how complex and overlayed is the geo in the scene, because it could be a weird geo too. Or the texture map of displacement may be screwy in some way. But it appears that for the mass set of users displacement in general functions fine, so in 3 years now since 2015 you must have identified some specifics to a situation that works vs not working. And this would be a good thing because then you could break down where any issue starts, and give Otoy that specific detailed info. Then they can fix, or make better FASTER, you know...

The denoiser blur thing, LOL, yeah that sucks. But this is not unique to Otoy’s implementing, its pretty much present in all denoising paradigms out there. I find you kind of need more samples, than your ideal render speed would allow, to get the animations to work with denoising. I hope it gets better. For stills it is awesome but for animations it is a balancing act for sure.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 pm

divasoft Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 pm
Notiusweb wrote:The denoiser blur thing, LOL, yeah that sucks. But this is not unique to Otoy’s implementing, its pretty much present in all denoising paradigms out there. I find you kind of need more samples, than your ideal render speed would allow, to get the animations to work with denoising. I hope it gets better. For stills it is awesome but for animations it is a balancing act for sure.

If I increase the number of samples, then why do I need a denoiser? It simply does not make sense. Rendering with a denoiser is slower than 1.5 times. And you propose to extend this time even more. I will quickly calculate the scene without denoiser, and then I just use NeatVideo as I do now.
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:35 pm

divasoft Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:35 pm
Notiusweb wrote:@Divasoft - You are correct, I am yes thinking you may not have tried it.
And so are you getting this with say a simple geometry and a simple displacement texture, because if not, your situation may be something more unique and specific, which may warrant more troubleshooting. So, how complex and overlayed is the geo in the scene, because it could be a weird geo too. Or the texture map of displacement may be screwy in some way.

I use octane from the first release and I understand it quite well. The problem with shattered displacement tortures many users. Many users have written about this many times and have not received a response so far. The problem of shattered displacement is a fundamental problem in the render engine. This is not a problem with "wrong texture" or "wrong node settings."
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Goldorak Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:21 pm
This is a limitation of Voxel based surface displacement, and not a trivial fix unless we go with a whole new displacement engine. This has been in the works for a while and will be in the next release.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Goldorak Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:24 pm
AI Denoiser is used in commercial TV productions like the opening of doom patrol and some upcoming major films not yet made public. It has to be used correctly, but when it is, it’s proven to be production ready.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jolbertoquini » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Jolbertoquini Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 pm
divasoft wrote:Dear developers, are not you ashamed of it?

I think you should do it a Standalone export and on the Beta place a ORBX for then to check ( and us to see what the issue I had similar before to find a scale issue which was fixed for the OC4 maybe they forgot to check), I can see a lot people are posting errors on Standalone section from they PLUGs which is already not finished.

I know is frustrating ( I do) But I understand post images from PLUG saying is not work is just waste of time because may be a plug issue, my advise and so far we had working is way we paste plug usage on plug section with the scenes to the plug developper and Standalone stuff on the standalone section.

They are saying from the begging this version RC6 is "BETA" stage so error will be there. But I totally agree with the point there some feature is just not finished and we struggle on as real production scale to do simple things, where we can do with the other engines

Cheers,
JO
Last edited by Jolbertoquini on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Jolbertoquini Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:34 pm
Goldorak wrote:This is a limitation of Voxel based surface displacement, and not a trivial fix unless we go with a whole new displacement engine. This has been in the works for a while and will be in the next release.

Hi Jules,

But Agree we need a better displacement for sure... is hard to work with the one from now, cause doesn't support simple feature used on production a lot, like motionblur and etc.
The fact we have to tweak a lot separate meshes to get a nice continuity is task taking.

Cheers,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Notiusweb Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 pm
Goldorak wrote:This is a limitation of Voxel based surface displacement, and not a trivial fix unless we go with a whole new displacement engine. This has been in the works for a while and will be in the next release.

Is it known what makes a displacement shatter the geo with cracks, is it resulting from a low res displacement map, or a displacement that has an un-optimized gradient between dark and light?
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:11 pm

aoktar Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:11 pm
Jolbertoquini wrote:
divasoft wrote:Dear developers, are not you ashamed of it?

I think you should do it a Standalone export and on the Beta place a ORBX for then to check ( and us to see what the issue I had similar before to find a scale issue which was fixed for the OC4 maybe they forgot to check), I can see a lot people are posting errors on Standalone section from they PLUGs which is already not finished.

I know is frustrating ( I do) But I understand post images from PLUG saying is not work is just waste of time because may be a plug issue, my advise and so far we had working is way we paste plug usage on plug section with the scenes to the plug developper and Standalone stuff on the standalone section.

They are saying from the begging this version RC6 is "BETA" stage so error will be there. But I totally agree with the point there some feature is just not finished and we struggle on as real production scale to do simple things, where we can do with the other engines

Cheers,
JO

Plugins are simply user interface and cannot revise the behavior of the Renderer. Strange that enough some guys are thinking else of this. I'm not happy as you about displacement but this is what we have atm until getting better displacement system.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases