OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC3

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC3
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC3 [latest 2018]

Postby coilbook » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm

coilbook Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm
Hi Otoy,
- Can we have more than 5 restarts if slave fails? usually restart fixes the problem and it can render again for 4-6 hours. Make it infinite.

- After slave fails and it is closed and reopened, can it connect back to the same 3ds max scene that is currently rendering and not to the second or third scene that is opened (if you have more than one 3ds max scene opened)

Thanks
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby noldo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm

noldo Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm
Bug?
The roughness value in universal material, not affecting the reflection filter pass in beauty passes (in glossy material all work fine).
noldo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Despot » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 pm

Despot Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 pm
Coating in the universal material is not working correctly... I don't think.

I've attached 2 images , one using the tried and tested mix material method and the other using coating via the universal material.

The latter doesn't look correct to me, a coating should be a clear coat-like surface (see first image), especially when I have a relatively high IOR and zero roughness (see attached).

I've tried with higher IOR values and also with different material attributes for the 'base' material and nothing works.

Am I missing something here, or is this a bug ?

coating_via_mix.jpg

coating_via_universal.jpg

coating_settings.jpg
Despot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Notiusweb Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 pm
Despot wrote:Coating in the universal material is not working correctly... I don't think.

I've attached 2 images , one using the tried and tested mix material method and the other using coating via the universal material.

The latter doesn't look correct to me, a coating should be a clear coat-like surface (see first image), especially when I have a relatively high IOR and zero roughness (see attached).

I've tried with higher IOR values and also with different material attributes for the 'base' material and nothing works.

coating_via_mix.jpg

coating_via_universal.jpg

coating_settings.jpg

@Despot - I find this type of subject very interesting.
Could you remove coating on both versions to see that they are identical, and then play with adding the Coating channel specifically on each, so that you can step by step mirror each move towards the desired effect...in the case of Universal, modify the power and Gamma of the Coating channel's texture image, and then also the Coating channel's roughness, this might work.

I'm thinking that the version with the Mix, as described in your post, almost is being assumed as if it were the correct 'default' here, when in fact it is itself is a modified version of 2 basic materials mixed together.
In other words, you are not emulating so much a 'regular' basic Coating effect as it exists in an underlying material, but rather a more complex 'Mix' version of a coating effect (MIX of something + something else to generate a Coating-looking effect)....

you know what I'm saying? It might make more sense to recreate each step by step so that your end version in the Universal mirrors the 'look' of the coating effect you achieved in the Mix.
Just a thought, as I also see weird differences, more notably in my case with the SSS generated between Diffuse and Universal.
I had to alter the Universal not to operate as if it were the Diffuse channel, but rather operate it to end up looking like the Diffuse channel. Unfortunately I think the Universal's Transmission is getting screwed up by its roughness IOR effects, because the Transmission turns into a 'shine'.
And so with the Coating you want to replicate, maybe you might not be able to recreate it, but then you can let Otoy know exactly where the breakdown happens, and they maybe can work it from there.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wallace » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 am

wallace Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 am
Despot wrote:Coating in the universal material is not working correctly... I don't think.

This is a known issue with universal material. Currently, the coating and sheen layers are affected by the bump map / normal map you specify, and that's why you don't see the clear coat like surface that is smoothly reflecting everything on top of your bump mapped layers. Changing the IOR / roughness of the coating layer doesn't affect this as the surface normal used to calculate the coating layer's specular reflection is perturbed by the bump map, making the highlight aligned with the diffuse and the specular reflection layer.

The plan is to backport the implementation of multi-layer bump/normal mapped normals from 2019.1 to 4.03 and 2018.1 in the coming week or so.
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby wallace » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 am

wallace Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 am
Notiusweb wrote:Just a thought, as I also see weird differences, more notably in my case with the SSS generated between Diffuse and Universal.
I had to alter the Universal not to operate as if it were the Diffuse channel, but rather operate it to end up looking like the Diffuse channel. Unfortunately I think the Universal's Transmission is getting screwed up by its roughness IOR effects, because the Transmission turns into a 'shine'.

Universal material's transmission is strictly specular transmission currently (i.e. it's not a lambertian transmission, think specular material, so the transmission is controlled by roughness, ior, etc... like the specular material).

2019.1 will incorporate diffuse transmission and coating/sheen normals into universal material.
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Notiusweb Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:34 pm
wallace wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Just a thought, as I also see weird differences, more notably in my case with the SSS generated between Diffuse and Universal.

Universal material's transmission is strictly specular transmission currently (i.e. it's not a lambertian transmission, think specular material, so the transmission is controlled by roughness, ior, etc... like the specular material).

2019.1 will incorporate diffuse transmission and coating/sheen normals into universal material.

Oh!... this is GREAT! :P

The universal material is awesome.
It will be very effective at translating PBR realtime engine material 'looks' into an Octane scene...

One thing along these lines I would ask for is a fake "Glow Channel", something that acts like a Post Process glow on a material.
This would be amazing because you could achieve the fake 'look' of a lit material without it needing to actually render with cost as an emitter.

If Octane actually had an integrated fake GI system in addition to Raytrace, holy cow, you could introduce a whole slew of fake lighting effects into octane.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Jolbertoquini Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 pm
Hi Guys,

There is a bug when using mix shader with emission textures please check this screen shot at Octane 4.01.1 is working and on RC3 is not.

Cheers,
JO

UPDATE : Never mind I saw your update on the Octane 4.02.1 I guess will be fixed on the Beta soon...
Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
Bug
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer