OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1 [latest 2018]

Postby coilbook » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:29 pm

coilbook Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:29 pm
HI otoy, I sent you a couple of scenes related to ai light and noise. Also I want to add that when using ai light it generates more fireflies than when not using it.
Attachments
ai.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Renart » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Renart Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 pm
Hi!
Is there an sample file to see how the the Colour vertex attribute are supposed to work?
I've tested with different geometries coming from different programs and none of them work. I'm sure I'm using the right attribute name....
Are we suppose to plug the Colour Vertex Attribute directly to the material node or do we need to use an OSL script in between?
Thanks!
Renart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 pm

PolderAnimation Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 pm
Renart wrote:Hi!
Is there an sample file to see how the the Colour vertex attribute are supposed to work?
I've tested with different geometries coming from different programs and none of them work. I'm sure I'm using the right attribute name....
Are we suppose to plug the Colour Vertex Attribute directly to the material node or do we need to use an OSL script in between?
Thanks!

You can use it directly in a material node. I have it working with abc files made in Houdini. But I only have it working on point attributes in Houdini, when I put attributes on vertices it does not work for me. I do like it that it works on point attributes because that is more useful the on vertices in my opinion.

I made an example file:
Attachments
hip.rar
(11.95 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
cd.abc
(46.39 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
cd.orbx
(111.83 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Renart » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Renart Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:37 pm
Thank you!
I see so actually it's not working the way I was expecting...
I'm wondering if there is a way to do the same kind of things with Blender..

For instance I've imported your abc file in Blender, it looks the same than in your sample scene, so far so good, it detects the Cd information.
Then I painted on it and re-exported it to Octane and it stopped working completely.

Hopefully we will get more information on that :)
Renart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:52 pm

abstrax Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:52 pm
Notiusweb wrote:I already can report that several ABC files I have are not importing into RC1, but were importing fine into XB2.
Issues consist of Octane freezing during AI Cache, and missing geometry in the ABC file.
In each case if left on, ABC files in Octane RC1 will cause GPUs to disconnect and driver reset.

DPC Latency shows no spike, and # GPUs is not a factor either. Seems that RC1 just has a very very rough time with ABC files.

Could you send us some example files showing the problem? No idea what's going on, because all the loading of Alembic geometry and processing it is done on the CPU.

FBXs on other hand load in great, Opacity fix is very nice! I find that Metallic map and roughness is not imported, just are imported as Black (or "0") like Opacity was.
No big deal, we can tweak in scene no issue, just wondering if this this a parameter stored in the FBX file that could be read by Octane.

Don't know the answer and will refer to Vijay.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 pm

abstrax Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 pm
calus wrote:The sdf-union-material.orbx example have a mistake In the unionRound function, swaping the SDF input in the result:

a.dist - b.dist should be b.dist - a.dist

sdf-union-material2.orbx

Thank you. Good catch. I modified the example scene and fixed a couple more issues as well and updated the release post above.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:51 am

abstrax Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:51 am
PolderAnimation wrote:I keep coming with requests but just trying to make octane better :).
It would be nice to have the option to make reference copys of placement nodes. So when you adjust one all of the other will adjust too.
Just an idea. Cheers,

You can achieve that by using a single transform node as input of two placement nodes. Or if you want to sync only say the rotation, you would use two 3D transformation nodes sharing the same rotation input and feeding each into their own placement node.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:18 am

abstrax Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:18 am
PolderAnimation wrote:There are 'colour vertex attribute' and 'greyscale vertex attribute' nodes. You can not use a vector attribute in a greyscale node (make sense).
But can we have it that if you put .x .y or .z after the string input you can use that float channel of the vector in a ' greyscale vertex attribute' node?

For example you have a vector Cd for your vertex colors. But if you want to use 1 channel you can use Cd.x in a 'greyscale vertex attribute' node and only use the red channel.
That would be great.

You could do that with a simple OSL texture into which you feed the color attribute texture:
Code: Select all
shader ChannelSelector(
    color inputColor = color(1, 1, 1) [[string label = "Input color"]],
    int channel = 0 [[string label = "Channel", string widget = "mapper", string options = "Red:0|Green:1|Blue:2"]],
    output color c = 0)
{
    c = inputColor[channel];
}

Due to a bug in version 2018, the channel enum doesn't work correctly, so for now you could use this OSL shader:
Code: Select all
shader ChannelSelector(
    color inputColor = color(1, 1, 1) [[string label = "Input color"]],
    int channel = 0 [[string label = "Channel", int min = 0, int max = 2]],
    output color c = 0)
{
    c = inputColor[channel];
}
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:22 am

abstrax Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:22 am
coilbook wrote:HI otoy, I sent you a couple of scenes related to ai light and noise. Also I want to add that when using ai light it generates more fireflies than when not using it.

Thank you for that. We will have a look at them in the coming days.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:39 am

coilbook Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:39 am
I am not sure how you train your ai denoiser or it only depends on nvidia but please train it for blotchiness and noise when camera moves and light shines at specular surfaces (it looks like bright spots just move a lot even though static is checked) Thank you
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases