OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1 [latest 2018]

Postby calus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 pm

calus Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 pm
haze wrote:I assume you mean volume SDF? I'm not really fully sure what you mean. For volume SDF we don't have to have a bounding box pin because there is one defined by the VDB. The issue with vectron is that it is an implicit function (ie has valid values everywhere). We have to have a limitation, but it's not obvious from the code, which is why the node has the bounds in it. Hopefully we will come up with a better solution for that.

Sorry I wasn't clear, no I'm not talking about volume SDF but about OSL procedural geometry and the new Struct :
abstrax wrote:The main change comppared to 2018.1 XB2 is the way how OSL code of procedural geometry returns values: The output value is now of the Octane-specific type _sdf, which is defined as:
Code: Select all
// struct for vectron shader networks (used for sdf inputs, and outputs).
struct _sdf
{
    int   objId;
    int   matId;
    float u;
    float v;
    float dist;
};

This way vectron objects can provide the necessary information required for shading.

So this change is very nice,
but I'm saying procedural Vectron objects are missing an "object space" like all other geometry type in Octane,
so as expected texture projection in "object space" doesn't work with them, also I suspect transform gizmo doesn't work with them for the same reason.

This is why I suggest to add a local transformation value in the struct _sdf like this:
struct _sdf
{
    int   objId;
    int   matId;
    float u;
    float v;
    float dist;
    matrix objspace;
};
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 am

FrankPooleFloating Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 am
Okay, so I was getting render errors in LightWave's IPR while I was trying to blend a Mix Texture with a weight map and have displacement too. I have made multiple attempts with different setups and I have failed to get weights and displacement to play nice together in LW... So trying to get to the bottom of this, I decided to bring this into Standalone (2008.1 RC1), and I've found a couple other interesting things.

After killing displacement and having a nice working blend in LW using weight map, I tried exporting/importing FBX and could not get weight maps to work correctly to blend anything, at all in SA. Then I even exported an ORBX from LW and imported that into SA. The Universal Material on this simple rectangle mesh (subdivided with 288 polys) just has two separate RGB Color nodes plugged into Mix texture, with Grayscale Vertex Attribute (with correct weight name "Weight") plugged into Amount, and Mix Texture is plugged into Albedo, as it should be. So the nodes all appear to be correct in SA, but there is no transition between colors where there should be, using my weight map, and the two colors are simply blending together (Red and Blue making Purple). This should be easy to reproduce. Prolly a bug I found, right?
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sethRichardson » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:21 am

sethRichardson Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:21 am
abstrax wrote:
sethRichardson wrote:Have Nvidia rounded edges made it in yet?

No, not yet.

I am assuming RC means this is feature locked.

Yes, that's correct, but we may sneak in minor improvements if time allows.

Oh, I was under the impression that the goal was to implement this feature in the first 2018 build as its been broken for 3 years... I'm just sayin.
sethRichardson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Notiusweb Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:33 pm
abstrax wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:I still cannot get 2018 RC1 to play FBX animations on the timeline. (This goes back to prior versions of V4 as well.)
Alembic updates as you scrub through timeline with each frame, but not FBX.

What does it mean? Does the geometry not change or change very slowly? We would need an example scene, since all the FBX scenes we have work as expected. Thank you.

Thank you...
It was the geometry did not change at all. But I now found that the exporting application does have export profiles, and some different ones will work in Octane for timeline scrubbing of animations, while other ones won't.
So, I can get the animation to play over the timeline now by choosing a certain FBX export profile. I guess it is how the animation is baked or something.

One thing though, is that the FBX blendhape morph animations NEVER show in Octane, no matter what FBX version or setting they were exported at. The bones move, just not blendshape morphs.
Yet if I import the SAME file into 3DS Max, the blendshape morph animations are there.

Which leads me to think the FBX is okay, just Octane can't read that instruction parameter somehow.
Or, is there some version of FBX that you have tested internally, that did have blendshape animations....what version of FBX was this
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Notiusweb Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm
Is there any potential work that can be done on the SSS abilities for the Universal Material, to match that of a traditional Diffuse?

Using the same Transmission settings and Medium settings, I get differences. There are plenty ways to gate the SSS effect on the Universal, but no way to 'fluff' it out like you can with Traditional Diffuse.

BTW - using a Mix Material is an option, but it takes away from the Universal Material's awesomeness.

Diffuse SSS
Diffuse.png

Universal SSS
Universal.png
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Notiusweb Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 pm
You know with the above, it's almost like the Transmission color becomes a reflection shine or something, by the material's own metallic, spec, IOR, and or roughness amounts...
Maybe there is a way to optionally disable that effect on Transmission color, so that it fluffs out if you want, like it would on a traditional diffuse?
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Despot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 pm

Despot Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 pm
abstrax wrote:
Despot wrote:Any idea when bloom threshold/tightening (that Goldorak confirmed) is going to be implemented ?

We are going to start working on it this month, and theoretically it shouldn't be complicated. Just didn't have time yet, because ...bugs in versions 4 and 2018 ....

Cool, thanks for the update - it's appreciated :)
Despot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm

haze Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm
calus wrote:
haze wrote:I assume you mean volume SDF? I'm not really fully sure what you mean. For volume SDF we don't have to have a bounding box pin because there is one defined by the VDB. The issue with vectron is that it is an implicit function (ie has valid values everywhere). We have to have a limitation, but it's not obvious from the code, which is why the node has the bounds in it. Hopefully we will come up with a better solution for that.

Sorry I wasn't clear, no I'm not talking about volume SDF but about OSL procedural geometry and the new Struct :
abstrax wrote:The main change comppared to 2018.1 XB2 is the way how OSL code of procedural geometry returns values: The output value is now of the Octane-specific type _sdf, which is defined as:
// struct for vectron shader networks (used for sdf inputs, and outputs).
struct _sdf
{
    int   objId;
    int   matId;
    float u;
    float v;
    float dist;
};

This way vectron objects can provide the necessary information required for shading.

So this change is very nice,
but I'm saying procedural Vectron objects are missing an "object space" like all other geometry type in Octane,
so as expected texture projection in "object space" doesn't work with them, also I suspect transform gizmo doesn't work with them for the same reason.

This is why I suggest to add a local transformation value in the struct _sdf like this:
struct _sdf
{
    int   objId;
    int   matId;
    float u;
    float v;
    float dist;
    matrix objspace;
};

We'll put it on the todo list but can't guarantee that we can do this without causing performance problems.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby haze » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 pm

haze Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 pm
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Okay, so I was getting render errors in LightWave's IPR while I was trying to blend a Mix Texture with a weight map and have displacement too. I have made multiple attempts with different setups and I have failed to get weights and displacement to play nice together in LW... So trying to get to the bottom of this, I decided to bring this into Standalone (2008.1 RC1), and I've found a couple other interesting things.

After killing displacement and having a nice working blend in LW using weight map, I tried exporting/importing FBX and could not get weight maps to work correctly to blend anything, at all in SA. Then I even exported an ORBX from LW and imported that into SA. The Universal Material on this simple rectangle mesh (subdivided with 288 polys) just has two separate RGB Color nodes plugged into Mix texture, with Grayscale Vertex Attribute (with correct weight name "Weight") plugged into Amount, and Mix Texture is plugged into Albedo, as it should be. So the nodes all appear to be correct in SA, but there is no transition between colors where there should be, using my weight map, and the two colors are simply blending together (Red and Blue making Purple). This should be easy to reproduce. Prolly a bug I found, right?

Would you mind sending us the orbx so we can take a look?
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby haze » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm

haze Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm
Notiusweb wrote:
abstrax wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:I still cannot get 2018 RC1 to play FBX animations on the timeline. (This goes back to prior versions of V4 as well.)
Alembic updates as you scrub through timeline with each frame, but not FBX.

What does it mean? Does the geometry not change or change very slowly? We would need an example scene, since all the FBX scenes we have work as expected. Thank you.

Thank you...
It was the geometry did not change at all. But I now found that the exporting application does have export profiles, and some different ones will work in Octane for timeline scrubbing of animations, while other ones won't.
So, I can get the animation to play over the timeline now by choosing a certain FBX export profile. I guess it is how the animation is baked or something.

One thing though, is that the FBX blendhape morph animations NEVER show in Octane, no matter what FBX version or setting they were exported at. The bones move, just not blendshape morphs.
Yet if I import the SAME file into 3DS Max, the blendshape morph animations are there.

Which leads me to think the FBX is okay, just Octane can't read that instruction parameter somehow.
Or, is there some version of FBX that you have tested internally, that did have blendshape animations....what version of FBX was this

Correct, Octane does not currently support FBX BlendShape deformer. We'll look into this once stability issues are out of the way.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases