OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 RC1 [latest 2018]

Postby sethRichardson » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am

sethRichardson Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am
Have Nvidia rounded edges made it in yet?

I am assuming RC means this is feature locked.
sethRichardson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rohandalvi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 am

rohandalvi Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 am
Attributes don’t seem to support particles or hair. They only work on meshes.

Will they support particles and hair in this release?

Regards
Rohan
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 am

PolderAnimation Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 am
abstrax wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:I keep coming with requests but just trying to make octane better :).
It would be nice to have the option to make reference copys of placement nodes. So when you adjust one all of the other will adjust too.
Just an idea. Cheers,

You can achieve that by using a single transform node as input of two placement nodes. Or if you want to sync only say the rotation, you would use two 3D transformation nodes sharing the same rotation input and feeding each into their own placement node.

Thanks Abstrax really appreciate the reply's. In most cases this is a good way, but I have a node structure where all my props are in different groups and sometimes I want to use the same placement node in different groups. You can use the same method you described above and have an output pin in each group node but that is sometimes a bit of work, so a more user friendly approach would be an reference copy. Just a thought.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:22 am

PolderAnimation Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:22 am
In the file I am working in right now Octane crashes immediately when I am trying to render any of my rendertargets. (does not happen in 4.01)
This file is under an strict NDA, I will send you as much detail as I can to the email of Marcus.
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Notiusweb Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:
Thanks Abstrax really appreciate the reply's. In most cases this is a good way, but I have a node structure where all my props are in different groups and sometimes I want to use the same placement node in different groups. You can use the same method you described above and have an output pin in each group node but that is sometimes a bit of work, so a more user friendly approach would be an reference copy. Just a thought.

Hey Beppe- this was similar to the situation I run into when I put forth the idea of shortcuts, akin to windows desktop, where you could right click on a parameter or node and then have it say in context menu “add to shortcuts list”, and then you would have a menu someplace that would have a list of the shortcuts for easy access. It would be a quick top-down way of managing a scene, and specific parameters in that scene.

This seems to address a point further where maybe you could have control over various non-connected multiple parameters / nodes, through a shortcut. Say, if you were to address a shortcut ID to a specific parameter or node.

Maybe a scripted graph node via Lua can accomplish this?
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 am

abstrax Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 am
sethRichardson wrote:Have Nvidia rounded edges made it in yet?

No, not yet.

I am assuming RC means this is feature locked.

Yes, that's correct, but we may sneak in minor improvements if time allows.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 am

abstrax Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 am
rohandalvi wrote:Attributes don’t seem to support particles or hair. They only work on meshes.

Will they support particles and hair in this release?

Regards
Rohan

Probably not, but it's on out to-do list.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Renart » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 am

Renart Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 am
PolderAnimation wrote:You can use it directly in a material node. I have it working with abc files made in Houdini. But I only have it working on point attributes in Houdini, when I put attributes on vertices it does not work for me. I do like it that it works on point attributes because that is more useful the on vertices in my opinion.

@abstrax Will anything be done about that?

It would be awesome to make it work with Vertex as well (like the name suggest ^^).
I don't have Houdini and I'm not sure how to convert the attributes of my files in other software.. If you have a solution please let me know.

I've attached my test file. The Vertex Color attribute should be "rgba"
I'm wondering how it deals with the transparency by the way...

Thank you! :)
Attachments
QuillExportVertexColorAttribute.abc
(83.67 MiB) Downloaded 255 times
Renart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:37 am

bepeg4d Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:37 am
Notiusweb wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:

Hey Beppe- this was similar to the situation I run into when I put forth the idea of shortcuts, akin to windows desktop, where you could right click on a parameter or node and then have it say in context menu “add to shortcuts list”, and then you would have a menu someplace that would have a list of the shortcuts for easy access. It would be a quick top-down way of managing a scene, and specific parameters in that scene.

This seems to address a point further where maybe you could have control over various non-connected multiple parameters / nodes, through a shortcut. Say, if you were to address a shortcut ID to a specific parameter or node.

Maybe a scripted graph node via Lua can accomplish this?

Hi Notiusweb,
yes correct, I have noted too.
I have tried to find a way with Lua, it is possible, but it is not an easy task, at least for me :roll:
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:07 am

PolderAnimation Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:07 am
Renart wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:You can use it directly in a material node. I have it working with abc files made in Houdini. But I only have it working on point attributes in Houdini, when I put attributes on vertices it does not work for me. I do like it that it works on point attributes because that is more useful the on vertices in my opinion.

@abstrax Will anything be done about that?

It would be awesome to make it work with Vertex as well (like the name suggest ^^).
I don't have Houdini and I'm not sure how to convert the attributes of my files in other software.. If you have a solution please let me know.

I've attached my test file. The Vertex Color attribute should be "rgba"
I'm wondering how it deals with the transparency by the way...

Thank you! :)

The funny thing is when I load your abc file in Houdini i see the rgba as point attributes and not as vertex attributes.
I can image that it is going wrong because this is a vector4 and not vector3. You could try to disable the alpha and try again.
Last edited by PolderAnimation on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases