Scatter node input to Vectron

Forums: Scatter node input to Vectron
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Scatter node input to Vectron

Postby Yugs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:55 pm

Yugs Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:55 pm
Hi everyone,

I was experimenting a bit with Vectron, and I somehow managed to put together a parametric displaced brick object thingy, thanks to bits of code found here on the forums.

Problem is, when I try to plug it to a scatter node¨(4000 something instances), Octane crashes.

So I was thinking maybe a better way to implement the scatter node would be as an input to the Vectron object, but I have no idea how to achieve that (or if it is even possible in 2018.1XB2).

Does anybody know if/how this could be done ?

I attached an .orbx scene containing the object if anyone wants to play around with it (I am no programmer so the code might be sloppy, sorry about that).

PS : The potential of Vectron, and OSL within Octane in general looks amazing ! Does anyone know of good ressources/tutorials to learn the basics ?

Cheers,

Yugs
Attachments
Vectron-Bricks-test.orbx
Here's the orbx scene
(589.86 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Yugs
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Scatter node input to Vectron

Postby haze » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:05 am

haze Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:05 am
The scatter node and group nodes will both behave like a union operator, with some slight differences, but this will come in a later release.

You can have other vectron nodes as input to a vectron node, using an input type like this: sdf input = SDFDEF, with the rest of your arguments. If you have too many then you may risk causing the program to get very complex and take longer to execute (ie longer render time).

The plan is to come up with some examples, tutorials an guides on how to put these together more easily.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 am

calus Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 am
Yugs wrote:The potential of Vectron, and OSL within Octane in general looks amazing ! Does anyone know of good ressources/tutorials to learn the basics ?

http://iquilezles.org/www/articles/dist ... ctions.htm
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 am

aoktar Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 am
calus wrote:
Yugs wrote:The potential of Vectron, and OSL within Octane in general looks amazing ! Does anyone know of good ressources/tutorials to learn the basics ?

http://iquilezles.org/www/articles/dist ... ctions.htm

Perfect article, thanks calus.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Development Build Releases