OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6

Forums: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6 [latest version 4]

Postby calus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:49 am

calus Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:49 am
wallace wrote:OK, I think you have a point in masking. How about this?
Basically I can extend the universal material later by adding a "Transmissiveness" / "Transmission Map" (or some other name) to it after stable, if it is specified, then it would use the mask value to determine the degree of transmission (the disney way), if not then it would use the current way (the transmitted energy is those that is not reflected off in upper layers).

Aff, so this is already too late to change the default implementation ?
obviously extending the implementation later with another option is ok, but this will make the material more complicated/confusing and this is what I wanted to avoid, also is there any benefit of the current implementation compared to have only the disney way ?
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wallace » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 am

wallace Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 am
calus wrote:Aff, so this is already too late to change the default implementation ?
obviously extending the implementation later with another option is ok, but this will make the material more complicated/confusing and this is what I wanted to avoid, also is there any benefit of the current implementation compared to have only the disney way ?

Like I have mentioned before, it works the same way as diffuse reflection / diffuse transmission in diffuse material, so apart from it making more sense physically, it also allows me to fit diffuse bsdf in there.

It's not possible to replicate the diffuse bsdf in Octane with a simple transmission mask, so it would be best to leave the default behavior as is while I add a lambertian option to the BRDF option.

It's not going to be much more complicated because at the end of the day we'll still be adding one pin either way, it's just that the default behavior is different when no node is connected to the pin.
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:20 am

calus Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:20 am
wallace wrote:Like I have mentioned before, it works the same way as diffuse reflection / diffuse transmission in diffuse material, so apart from it making more sense physically, it also allows me to fit diffuse bsdf in there.

It's not possible to replicate the diffuse bsdf in Octane with a simple transmission mask, so it would be best to leave the default behavior as is while I add a lambertian option to the BRDF option.

It's not going to be much more complicated because at the end of the day we'll still be adding one pin either way, it's just that the default behavior is different when no node is connected to the pin.

Not sure to well understand everything you say here :oops:,
I guess I have to see the modifications implemented to fully understand, so let's wait and see :)
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:39 am

FrankPooleFloating Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:39 am
:? Is Diffuse/Matte (Shadow Catcher) gaining energy in 4 RC 6, or just completely broken?!!... I just went to render a client's updated product in a scene that was originally done in v3.x in Lightwave -- which now has 4 RC 6 plug -- and I am having a hell of a time trying to get my shadow catchers (in multiple scenes) to even remotely act like they did before... Shadow catchers start super grainy, then are blowing out big-time real quick and millions of dang fireflies are everywhere!...

Edit: Had to switch to glossy white floor and just do separate product and shadow renders -- for tonight, to get this gig out the door -- but I'd still love to know if there is something wrong with diffuse/matte...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 6

Postby abstrax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 am

abstrax Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote::? Is Diffuse/Matte (Shadow Catcher) gaining energy in 4 RC 6, or just completely broken?!!... I just went to render a client's updated product in a scene that was originally done in v3.x in Lightwave -- which now has 4 RC 6 plug -- and I am having a hell of a time trying to get my shadow catchers (in multiple scenes) to even remotely act like they did before... Shadow catchers start super grainy, then are blowing out big-time real quick and millions of dang fireflies are everywhere!...

Edit: Had to switch to glossy white floor and just do separate product and shadow renders -- for tonight, to get this gig out the door -- but I'd still love to know if there is something wrong with diffuse/matte...

Not that I know of. Maybe send me the scene so I can check. Thanks.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby osiosiosi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:37 pm

osiosiosi Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:37 pm
abstrax wrote:
osiosiosi wrote:Still...

00:55:34.273: +++++ Plugin running.
03:35:03.922: CUDA error 2 on device 0: out of memory
03:35:03.923: -> failed to allocate device memory
03:35:03.925: device 0: failed to upload data texture 4 of context 0
03:35:03.927: Render engine failure occured! (WARNING)

Thanks for the report. Is it possible that you actually run out of memory? Data texture 4 is used for geometry data.

What is your current system configuration you are using (OS, CPU, RAM, graphics cards, VRAM, graphics driver version)? Do you have out-of-core enabled? Does it render in older version?

Thank you for your help.

I am so sorry... it was my fault.

Happy to say OOR works for me now in Standalone and DAZ plugin! I cant thank you enough for making this work :-D
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:05 pm

haze Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:05 pm
osiosiosi wrote:
abstrax wrote:
osiosiosi wrote:Still...

00:55:34.273: +++++ Plugin running.
03:35:03.922: CUDA error 2 on device 0: out of memory
03:35:03.923: -> failed to allocate device memory
03:35:03.925: device 0: failed to upload data texture 4 of context 0
03:35:03.927: Render engine failure occured! (WARNING)

Thanks for the report. Is it possible that you actually run out of memory? Data texture 4 is used for geometry data.

What is your current system configuration you are using (OS, CPU, RAM, graphics cards, VRAM, graphics driver version)? Do you have out-of-core enabled? Does it render in older version?

Thank you for your help.

I am so sorry... it was my fault.

Happy to say OOR works for me now in Standalone and DAZ plugin! I cant thank you enough for making this work :-D

Can you tell us what you did to fix it? Any kind of info about this problem is very welcome
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases