OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.06 TEST

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.06 TEST
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.06 TEST [latest 3.xx]

Postby dh921911 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:12 am

dh921911 Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:12 am
Wow, this has me really excited. I'll admit, I typically only use the Octane plugin with Cinema 4D, but this new feature got my curiosity up so I opened standalone for the first time in forever and loaded one of the demo scenes.

AS enabled. 30,000 samples. 10:50 seconds. GPU: GTX 970 and GTX 980 ti. I didn't do a comparison with AS disabled, but the ETA for 30,000 samples was around 40 minutes.
Screws_PT_30000_10_50.png
dh921911
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby carterner » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 am

carterner Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 am
justix wrote:Right..in my scene test I got same result as for render time and don't see much of an improvement but I do post the noise layer too in order to get some help, the AS picture is as default settings and now proceeding to test with less path term power from 1 to 0.7, I also using the Kodak 64CD as I reckon it has more contrast BUT don't think it affect much on noise cleaning.. any thoughts? help? as it is it looks not working on my beloved 780 ( but 1070 on his way )..willing to post the scene for an optimization.

Actually anyone with a little test scene because 2 of my scene i'm testing with does not do much if nothing..render time the same as before and so the noise.. were should I look?

If you want a clean picture . you can set sample to100000. In the beginning will slow after two or three hours the speed will more quick .in the end you will get clean results! The render time will much improved than no AS
The noise threshold will contorl the results is more quick or more clean
Last edited by carterner on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
carterner
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aLeXXtoR » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 am

aLeXXtoR Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 am
Got a very strange result of rendering the animation sequence (rendered with passes, saved as separate PNG sequences, AS enabled). I'll try to figure out what was going on and give more detaied description.
Attachments
s01-landscape_Beauty_0080.png.jpg
Only the Beauty channel is fine
Win 10 Pro 64bit | GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8Gb | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | 32GB RAM
WebSite
Showreel
aLeXXtoR
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby newfriend » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:43 am

newfriend Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:43 am
Is there any kind of roadmap? It's really interesting to see what will be implemented till V4.
newfriend
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby justix » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:50 am

justix Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:50 am
KonstantinosD wrote:Ok here are my initial tests, Adaptive Sampling does work just fine as you will see below,
All these are rendered with 7x1080's watercooled 2x Xeons e-5 2640 v4, at 1920x1080, pathtracing of course and the scene's only light source is a window with a light portal on the right and octane sun and sky env. Tems at max reached 44 C in a fairly hot room of 23 C with complete silence from the machine. also a shout to Smicha who build it ! I also did a super clean render at 8192 samples followed by the same quality with AS.

Here:

So based on your input the higher the Samples set the faster it cleans the noise? i need help in get this right somehow..do I need new drivers? on 375.63 now..
Win 7 64 | 2 X MSI AERO GtX 1070| Intel I7-6850K| 32 GB DDR4 RAM | Asus X99 II-A
justix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Silverwing » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Silverwing Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:08 pm
justix wrote:
KonstantinosD wrote:Ok here are my initial tests, Adaptive Sampling does work just fine as you will see below,
All these are rendered with 7x1080's watercooled 2x Xeons e-5 2640 v4, at 1920x1080, pathtracing of course and the scene's only light source is a window with a light portal on the right and octane sun and sky env. Tems at max reached 44 C in a fairly hot room of 23 C with complete silence from the machine. also a shout to Smicha who build it ! I also did a super clean render at 8192 samples followed by the same quality with AS.

Here:

So based on your input the higher the Samples set the faster it cleans the noise? i need help in get this right somehow..do I need new drivers? on 375.63 now..

The explanation of AS is pretty simple.

First I describe how Octane works without AS:
Samples are shot from the camera through every pixel into the scene. Those samples are distributed uniformly over the field of view of the camera.

Advantages there:
The rendering is progressive. It clears up nicely and gives you really fast feedback.

Disadvantages:
If you have one spot in your picture that is really hard to render (due to high ray depth (glass, sss) or complicated sampling (chromatic aberration, indirect lighting) while every other part of the render has received enough samples you have to "over sample" those areas in order to reach the point where hard to render spot is noise free. So you loose a lot of render power to the spots where no further samples would be needed but have to receive them in order to overall reach the target sampling level to have a clean image even at the spot that was hard to clean up.

To solve this problem there is Adaptive Sampling:
With the "Noise Threshold" you set how much noise in the picture is OK. If the parts of the render have reached that noise level they will be cut off from active rendering. Leaving more power to the areas that have not reached that threshold.

Of course your rendering will go faster up to the specified sampling level because after some time there is less area to cover, fewer pixels to calculate. What it does not do at this point is render more noise free. It still only render up to the max specified SPP.

So the Workflow with AS is:
1: Make a render region that covers the area in your render where you have the most noise in your scene and see how many samples you need to clean it up.
2: Set this value as your max SPP level.
3: Turn on AS and set the noise threshold so that you are overall satisfied with the noise level of the green areas (that are excluded from active rendering)

So what happens is that the parts of the picture that do not need the samples get cut of at lower sample rates from the rendering. While the parts that need the samples will get up to the maximum SPP that you figured out before.
Since not the whole picture is covered with the high SSP number it normally renders quite quick.

It really depends on the scene though. If you do not have a big difference in noise in your scene (due to a lot of indirect light for example) AS can not do a lot. Because it can not turn off any, or only small areas from your render.

EDIT:
Just to clarify:
If you just turn on AS you will not get a more noise free image. What you get is a image that looks the same like the image with out AS but in a shorter amount of time. (depended on the scene)

I hope this was understandable.

Cheers,
Raphael
Last edited by Silverwing on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WIN 10 PRO 64 | ASUS X99-E WS | 3 X GTX 1080Ti | i7 5960X 8X 3,33GHz | 64GB RAM
Silverwing
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MildMustard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 pm

MildMustard Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 pm
Oh wow guys! Thanks for Adaptive Sampling!!! Finally!!

I was bummed about having hardware issues and switching back to an older build machine with only 2 cards... but I have to say, good job Adaptive sampling may start normal but then starts speeding up like crazy!

I tried to mimic Vray's setting using 0.85 adaptive strength and does seem to be a sweet spot with 0.1 threshold, bumping threshold where needed. (previews -> finals) Good performance gains with the right settings. (obviously scene dependant)

Now that you have a noise render pass, it should be a step in the right direction for an internal Denoiser? :)

Benchmark - Idea PT Scene:

1500 x 1000
10 000 samples

No AS = 3min 43sec
AS = 1min 18sec

There is visually no difference and really clean. *win!*

Last edited by MildMustard on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 pm

smicha Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 pm
Bugs:

1. when I lock a scene, then use region render and release region render -> the lock does not work anymore.
2. when I click on lock aspect ratio - it resets render
3. when the lock aspect ratio is ticked preview render cannot be zoomed out less than 100%
4 .something is wrong with priority - list of gpus in preferences is different than 3.05 and even with low priority system is less responsive than in 3.05.

Edit: sometimes the lock works well, sometimes not.
Last edited by smicha on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby justix » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:20 pm

justix Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:20 pm
Bug:

Region Render won't stop at Max spp assigned? it just keeps on going

Region Render: when deactivated the render won't start in his whole but keeps the last region frame? I have to exit and re-open the Standalone
Win 7 64 | 2 X MSI AERO GtX 1070| Intel I7-6850K| 32 GB DDR4 RAM | Asus X99 II-A
justix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby milanm » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:29 pm

milanm Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:29 pm
Ooh, look what we have here :)
Thanks Dobromir!

https://inlifethrill.com/adaptive-sampling-octane-render/

Regards
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer