OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 beta 4

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 beta 4
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 beta 4

Postby gah5118 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:14 pm

gah5118 Tue May 24, 2016 10:14 pm
I use the resolution node to control multiple render targets.

flow chart would be like this starting at the main node graph

render control node (inside contains a output and connected is a resolution node) > render target node group (contains all of my render targets) > resolution input > connected to all render targets which are contained in groups for tighter organization.

So when opening an old scene, all of the inputs, outputs, and rendertargets are disconnected and have to be replaced by hand with the film settings nodes. very time consuming when you have 48 render targets in a scene.

basically, any nodes that are being updated and changed to something new, should be automatically converted when opening an old scene. in this case, resolution node > film settings node

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 beta 4 [latest 3.xx]

Postby v-cube » Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 pm

v-cube Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 pm
Thank you for your feedback Thomas, please excuse my late reply, I am pretty much buried with work right now...

I really think that this is a very important issue and therefore have been posting about this at various occasions, please take a look at it here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52842&p=265977#p265977

I think it would be the best idea in regards to predictability to have 4 separate user controllable map slots each with their own multiplier, which only affect their specific purpose:

1. Environment for lightning . This would be used for distributing the light and in case no additional maps are used in the other slots act as a source for these undefined slots.

2. Environment for reflections. This would affect the reflections for specular and glossy materials. It would not contribute to any direct or diffuse light distribution.

3. Environment for refractions. This would affect the refractions for specular materials. It would not contribute to any direct or diffuse light distribution. This is not so important IMHO and could eventually be locked to the reflection slot, however in some cases it can be also be desirable to have control here, so if it is not to much work, I would also implement it.

4. Environment for backplate/background. This environment would be very important for post production, since here we would be able to control the border region of elements like trees against their background, this would enable us to adjust the background in a way it would fit against a custom background used in post production , e.g. a picture taken on site for photomontage.

I am aware that this might confuse an average octane user so you can maybe implement it in a way that you first have to click the option "use multiple environments (advanced)" before these slots become visible...

best regards

Andreas Walther

stratified wrote:
hi Andreas,

The visible environment is used when a ray immediately hits the environment or hits the environment on path termination. For reflections and refractions we use the normal environment. For diffuse materials or rough materials, the situation is a bit more complex. When we hit one of those materials, we calculate direct light and trace a reflection ray, this direct light calculation uses the normal environment and the reflected ray uses the visible environment (if the reflected ray goes into the environment) hence the effect of both environments.

The idea is that you can use the visible environment to "hack" what is visible directly or for "clear" reflections/refractions of the background in materials (i.e. in a mirror or glass). We could tweak it for example that the visible environment is only seen when the ray directly hits the environment or used only for glossy/specular materials with low roughness. But we need to have a clear picture of what exactly is needed then.

cheers,
Thomas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases