OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10 [latest 3.xx]

Postby gah5118 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:30 pm

gah5118 Thu May 05, 2016 4:30 pm
I posted this issue during a9. here is a link to the example. You will see that the AO channel shows half has a normal render, then at the top half of the image is small tiled images
download/file.php?id=51270
note that this is when using the batch render script or () saving as layered exr. it works fine with png however.

here is one example of the roughness pass.
roughness pass from exr.jpg

by adding the full flexibility to the batch render script, I am talking about all of (render passes export) features
the missing features are:
exr 16-bit and generate compositing project file
also compression options are not available

abstrax wrote:
gah5118 wrote:a few of the passes are still messed up when saving as exr from batch

When saving out as a exr package from batch render, a few of the passes are messed up

ones that I know of through a few renders are:

roughness
index of refraction
ao

What exactly do you mean? I just tried it and it seems to work.

Also, I hope to see more flexibility in the batch render script such as integration of the render pass exporter.

Again, what exactly do you mean? Multi-layer export is already available in the batch render script.
Attachments
pass export.jpg
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Thu May 05, 2016 5:40 pm

BorisGoreta Thu May 05, 2016 5:40 pm
I have a scene that renders fine with path tracing but when I switch to PMC two nodes crash ( but it continues to render normally on the workstation ).
Is this normal with alpha 10, would someone want to take a look at the scene ? It is big so I would need an email to wetransfer it.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu May 05, 2016 8:34 pm

abstrax Thu May 05, 2016 8:34 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:I have a scene that renders fine with path tracing but when I switch to PMC two nodes crash ( but it continues to render normally on the workstation ).
Is this normal with alpha 10, would someone want to take a look at the scene ? It is big so I would need an email to wetransfer it.

Yes, of course we would like to have a look at it.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 pm

abstrax Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 pm
gah5118 wrote:I posted this issue during a9. here is a link to the example. You will see that the AO channel shows half has a normal render, then at the top half of the image is small tiled images
note that this is when using the batch render script or () saving as layered exr. it works fine with png however.

How do you display / use the layers of a multi-layer EXR? Some of the passes (like Z-depth, AO, roughness...) are stored as greyscale layers, i.e. with only one channel each. To me it looks as if your application tries to load those layers as RGBA layers...

by adding the full flexibility to the batch render script, I am talking about all of (render passes export) features

I see. Thanks for the info. We will add these options to the batch render script.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby milanm » Fri May 06, 2016 1:42 am

milanm Fri May 06, 2016 1:42 am
abstrax wrote:[*] Reduced the geometry compilation times on OSX and Linux. It's still a little bit slower than on Windows, but not as much as in the previous versions. Any further improvements would require some major changes in the geometry compilation code, which we plan to give a try some time after 3.00.

Marcus, thank you very much for your support on this issue.
I can confirm that compilation times on OS X are better with this version. I can see 2X faster performance on the same test scene and hardware I used before. It's great to see this improvement already in 3.0 even if it's still slower than Windows version.
Also, great job on so many other improvements and features in V3!
Can't wait for May 15th :)

CPU usage:

Version 3 alpha 1
v3 a01.png

Verision 3 alpha 10
v3a10.png

Regards
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gah5118 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:45 am

gah5118 Fri May 06, 2016 2:45 am
I am importing with the photoshop plugin from octane and using the layer setup.

abstrax wrote:
gah5118 wrote:I posted this issue during a9. here is a link to the example. You will see that the AO channel shows half has a normal render, then at the top half of the image is small tiled images

How do you display / use the layers of a multi-layer EXR? Some of the passes (like Z-depth, AO, roughness...) are stored as greyscale layers, i.e. with only one channel each. To me it looks as if your application tries to load those layers as RGBA layers...

I see. Thanks for the info. We will add these options to the batch render script.
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10

Postby gah5118 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm

gah5118 Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm
another improvement I just thought of for batch rendering (unless it exist some how... if so, I would love to know how).

It needs the ability, when saving as multiple png's or exr's, to save in their different directories for each render target. this would make it way easier to setup a script in photoshop to import multiple batches of files. on the other hand, if the compositing project option is implemented, and a new script created for photoshop or an edit of the existing one, to import multiple project files. It would streamline a very tedious and time consuming task.

to give an example, since I know I haven't been very clear in the past; my current process is as follows. I created an action to load the exr, automate the options that come up when opening exrs with the plugin (this should really be an option that can be set so it doesn't pop up everytime with the ability to modify through an extended menu of some kind), then it runs "setup octanerender render layers", and saves it. From that, I have another action that runs a batch to open files in a specified directory and saves to that directory, running the action described above.

with this, one click processes all of my exr's no matter how many (with our workload it can be anywhere from 5-a few hundred depending on the day)

I hope that this makes sense.

Overall, we prefer to work with png files for the smaller size and not really needing 32 bit for what we are doing, but like the packaging of the exr's since we can streamline processing the exr's to psd's. from there we convert to 8bit and proceed as we normally would. I know once the compositing project option is implemented, this would better streamline our process.

A question regarding saving out as png's. We are starting to prefer working with the untonemapped exr files even after 8bit conversion, is there a way to make the pngs untonemapped the same way?

Thanks!
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 pm

mojave Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 pm
funk wrote:Image

Hi funk,

Thanks for your help. We've fixed the issue with backfaces in baking position-dependent lighting. This is the output you'd be getting now with Octane for the example you shared.

directional_backfaces_baking.png

Also, the terminator curve is now soften so this is what you'll get when using backface culling.

directional_baking.png

Hope that will help.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10

Postby funk » Wed May 11, 2016 12:30 pm

funk Wed May 11, 2016 12:30 pm
Wow thanks Mojave! It actually looks better than modo's directional bake. Looking forward to trying it out.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases