OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10 [latest 3.xx]

Postby funk » Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 am

funk Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 am
mojave wrote:
mojave wrote:Hi funk,

Thank you for your feedback.

funk wrote:* Baking seems to be quite slow

funk wrote:* Bakes at 16000 samples still end up being noisy - even on really simple stuff like baking the default daylight into a colored sphere on a plane.

We had some issues with noisy outputs in previous builds, but they seemed to have been fixed already, can you provide an example where this is happening using the latest build?

Hi and thanks for taking the time to respond :)

I guess I should have put those together, because they are closely related. If I have to render more than 16000 samples (just an example) to get a clean result, then its taking too long :)

I haven't done any "scientific" tests yet. I just rendered out a bake of an interior wall and there was still too much noise in Octane after 16000 samples vs a bake in Modo. I guess I'll have to put together a scene for you to look at.

mojave wrote:
funk wrote:* "Use Bake Position" does not bake the faces the camera can't see. All unseen faces are black. This has got to be a bug.

I am not sure what is your setup and what you are expecting to get from enabling that parameter. Some time ago I posted an example about how this and other parameters affect to how the camera rays are generated for texture baking.

I'm attaching a simple example of what I expect. Here is a single red-ish sphere in the middle of a scene with a daylight sky environment in Octane. The modo render is using modo's physical sky so it's not the quite the same, but that's not really the point here.

In the top half of the render, I have bake position off in Octane and "bake directional effects" off in modo. You can see they are quite similar.

In the lower part of the image, I have bake position ON in Octane and "bake directional effects" ON in modo. In modo we get a render of the texture on all sides of the sphere. In Octane, those polys are simply rendered black. I have tried backface culling on and off too.

octane_vs_modo_bake.jpg

I'm also attaching an orbx. You can simply toggle "use bake position" on and off to see the results.

oct3_bake_002.orbx
(101.51 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mikinik » Tue May 03, 2016 2:22 pm

mikinik Tue May 03, 2016 2:22 pm
hi, abstrax. what could be the reason for these artifacts in standalone? ray epsilon does not help.

01.jpg

in 3DS max everything is fine.
02.jpg

.abc file here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uzd6ciugm0s7 ... 3.zip?dl=0
r9 3900x/64Gb/2070s/2070/win10x64/3dsmax2021
mikinik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Wed May 04, 2016 6:21 am

funk Wed May 04, 2016 6:21 am
I would just like to thank mojave for getting in contact with me about the baking issues. It's really great seeing Otoy making an effort to contact users and trying to improve octane 3 :)
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MattRM » Wed May 04, 2016 10:47 am

MattRM Wed May 04, 2016 10:47 am
Hi all,

At fisrt, this release is awsome... but still have some little issues :

- When I lock my session on windows 10 x64, after unlock, Octane Render 3.0 not start anymore, need reboot the computer. I don't know if it's due to my account cause, with the good password and login, I can't log the first time, try to change my current password, make an error saying "wrong password" (was the good one) and change my password instead the error pop. I'll contact support for my otoy account but don't know if it's link to this. So I think is due to the new login system, have no issue with alpha 9.0 or Octane 2.xx or plugins, only with alpha 10. EDIT : During the process of writing this post, I saw that I'm automatically deconnected from the forum randomly, so maybe is this.

- VDB with no data (example first simulation frame) make an error during loading and can't create the vdb nodes (vdb from Blender and Houdini)

- If use an alembic started at 1460 to 1920 and have a vdb started at 1680 to 1920 and using offset start for vdb, the curent frame always put the fisrt frame of the alembic, never change, including the cursor for timeline. But the frame in rendering viewport is updated. Also, the timeline is not proportional (don't know how to explain better than a video).

- Smooth alembic is strange, border is alsways keep no smooth, so angular norder edge, found no way to have smooth result.

For the timeline bug, I blurred the rendering cause is production data, so just left a part to show you the timiline bug. I also attached a video for the after unlock problem.
Just an other question, maybe missed the info but will you put a visual gizmo for rotate, move and scale in overlay when select a position node ? Will be easier to moved objects in viewport.

++

Matt

https://vimeo.com/165279219
MattRM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Wed May 04, 2016 8:22 pm

BorisGoreta Wed May 04, 2016 8:22 pm
Both licences on my two nodes stopped working even after I reset all.

Link: <none>
Timestamp: 1462393286
Code: 301
HTTP Status: 401
SSO Status: Signed In
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Wed May 04, 2016 9:05 pm

mojave Wed May 04, 2016 9:05 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:Both licences on my two nodes stopped working even after I reset all.

Link: <none>
Timestamp: 1462393286
Code: 301
HTTP Status: 401
SSO Status: Signed In

Hi Boris,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We've fixed this issue already.

For the moment, you may delete this file to reset your session:

Windows:
Code: Select all
%APPDATA%/OctaneRender/otoy_credentials

Linux:
~/.OctaneRender/otoy_credentials

OSX: (you may have to use Finder's Go->Go To Folder... and type "~/Library/OctaneRender" - without the quotes - to get to that folder)

~/Library/OctaneRender/otoy_credentials

Thank you.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed May 04, 2016 11:03 pm

abstrax Wed May 04, 2016 11:03 pm
Jolbertoquini wrote:Hi guys,

I have some errors with my renders I update my drivers all good here my test scene. :)
and extra info.

scene stop render after 5min.

Best
Jo

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem here. If it occurs only after some time your first device might have gotten too hot and with that unreliable.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed May 04, 2016 11:15 pm

abstrax Wed May 04, 2016 11:15 pm
gah5118 wrote:a few of the passes are still messed up when saving as exr from batch

When saving out as a exr package from batch render, a few of the passes are messed up

ones that I know of through a few renders are:

roughness
index of refraction
ao

What exactly do you mean? I just tried it and it seems to work.

Also, I hope to see more flexibility in the batch render script such as integration of the render pass exporter.

Again, what exactly do you mean? Multi-layer export is already available in the batch render script.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sohara20 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:26 pm

sohara20 Wed May 04, 2016 11:26 pm
Hey guys can you clarify what this means ? "Disabled post-processing when the post-processing pass is enabled."
http://www.sohara.tv
https://vimeo.com/175783849-Octane Uber Shader. Coming soon
sohara20
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 pm

abstrax Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 pm
sohara20 wrote:Hey guys can you clarify what this means ? "Disabled post-processing when the post-processing pass is enabled."

Post-processing will be disabled in the main pass, when the post-processing pass enabled. I.e. the rendering and the post-effects are separated and can then be composed afterwards. I will update the release notes.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases