OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.33

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.33
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.33

Postby darkline » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 am

darkline Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 am
Sliders do clutter the interface, I use the max plugin, but when I do have to pop into standalone I instantly dislike the layout. BUT - not to sound a dick (I dont use standalone much) isn't there a transform tool in the viewport with x,y,z handles like in most 3D apps? If not, I can see why pixelrush would want the sliders back.

However, a viewport transform gizmo is the obvious, intuative solution to transforming objects, not boxes, or sliders... if it already has this, I apologise.
Windows 7 64bit/ Intel 3930K/ ASUS Rampage IV/ GTX980ti x 2/ 64GB system RAM
darkline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:44 am

glimpse Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:44 am
LudovicRouy wrote:I like the idea of a more compact UI with mouse use and shift ctrl !

Me too! =) Realy like where this soft is movin' - declutering already fairly simple interface is great idea!
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kurtjn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 pm

kurtjn Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 pm
abstrax wrote:Sorry, but I have to disagree. Pretty much all 3D applications don't use sliders for positions and most of the time also not for scale and rotation. And there is a reason for that: Sliders clutter the UI a lot.

In the mid-term we would actually like to un-clutter the user interface even more, which probably means even less sliders. You can have a similar behaviour like a slider either using the scroll wheel over the numeric field or holding the mouse button down and moving the mouse up and down. You can increase the speed with the SHIFT modifier 10x and with the CTRL modifier 100x.

How about up/down - left right arrows with a rotation on/off button to switch to - and after holding down an arrow key longer than a second causes the numbers to change holding down then speed up. I've seen this in many 3D apps.. just something to get the numbers moving and visually get an idea of placement and additionally if it was even possible to select the type of units such as CM, inches, feet, metres etc overkill?
Asus G75V Win 8 Pro 64 | Geforce GTX660M 2GB| i7 3610QM 2.3GHZ | 8GB | Octane Render for Maya 2014 V 1.20
kurtjn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:24 pm

smicha Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:24 pm
glimpse wrote:
LudovicRouy wrote:I like the idea of a more compact UI with mouse use and shift ctrl !

Me too! =) Realy like where this soft is movin' - declutering already fairly simple interface is great idea!

Agreed.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taoctane » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:02 pm

p3taoctane Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:02 pm
I totally disagree that Octane does not listen to users. Quite the opposite. I too like where Octane is moving and if you listened to us all ... all the time.... you would have nothing that worked and it would never be finished...
So take what you like from this input and do what you think works best.

But I do like me some sliders... ;)

or arrows for moving rotating or scaling. Yes I always have to eventually use a numerical value to put in final position... but to get it close... a slider helps orientate quickly as to which way and how much. Shift and control help in scale situations...
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 am

bepeg4d Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 am
smicha wrote:
glimpse wrote:

Agreed.

me too :)
keep up the good work ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby stoptwo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:52 pm

stoptwo Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:52 pm
darkline wrote:
However, a viewport transform gizmo is the obvious, intuative solution to transforming objects, not boxes, or sliders...

I totally agree .... i use almost every time the standalone untill the modo plugin is out but i really miss the transform gizmo...would it be such a pain to implement this feature ?
[email protected],QuadroK4000,GTX780Ti,16gb,2x840ProSamsungSSD
stoptwo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

play a movie file inside an octane scene?

Postby MB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

MB Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm
We have a huge global client doing a retail rollout of stores that have large video walls on three sides and they want to be able to view the video content while walking around the model.

We are doing this in Unity right now, and navigating the space live in meetings, the video looks fine, but the rest of the space looks bad compared to an Octane rendering, could i write something with Lua possibly? I can imagine animating an image texture on an emitter, but then one can't navigate at the same time.

Is this what brigade is for? Is it available?

thx

Mark
Windows 11, 2x Intel I9, 64GB Ram, 2x GTX 1080 TI, 1 x RTX 380 TI, Oculus Quest 2
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: play a movie file inside an octane scene?

Postby r-username » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:49 pm

r-username Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:49 pm
MB wrote:I can imagine animating an image texture on an emitter, but then one can't navigate at the same time.

I do screen recordings of realtime scene interaction all the time and having a video loop or series of png node would be wonderful.

Even more basic: I would be very happy with a lua scrip that would [swap an image node and render], repeat # of images.

1- user selects a img texture node in the node graph
2- user selects script from menu
3- script window - user select a folder or series of images to swap
4- script window - user defines render settings and/or render target
5- run script

I think this script would benefit alomst all octane users and would be great for testing several textures on floors, walls, light/dark cabinets or whatever.

cheers,
s
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:35 pm

manalokos Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:35 pm
There is a way to place objects by clicking on a surface, by attaching to the placement node: a transform node that has the pos node common with the interest of a camera, when using this camera you can click on a target and the object will be placed in the place you clicked.

It would be nice in the placement node to have a button that would do this. a "click on a surface" button to place the object.
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases