Octane for Blender vs Octane for Houdini

Forums: Octane for Blender vs Octane for Houdini
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Octane for Blender vs Octane for Houdini

Postby jan8 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:46 pm

jan8 Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:46 pm
hi - I love Blender and I love Octane - the implementation however is a bit lacking (ui issues and most notably the lack of support for the new attributes in blender)

so I am hoping to get some insight from people who know both the Houdini as well as the Blender implementation and could compare the 2 versions to another (and highlight shortcomings)
many thanks!
jan8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane for Blender vs Octane for Houdini

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:38 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:38 pm
Which UI issues?
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jan8 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:29 pm

jan8 Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:29 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:Which UI issues?

i guess it's more like UX issues (such as double upped nodes, inconsistent socket (colour and label)coding, alt+drag a node removes the connections of the 2 nodes book ending it (unlike in any other blender node graph, where the node gets pulled out of the network but the node flow remains).. this is just off the top of my head, apologies if any of these have been resolved in more recent releases
jan8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:42 pm

elsksa Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:42 pm
It would require the work of a whole online article to detail enough on both from an user perspective.

There should be demo for Houdini and free tier for Blender, allowing anyone to test both in-situation. Especially since use-cases will vary from one user to an other. Both plugins are actively being worked-on and improved.

I'm personally using Standalone. Have you considered it? Here is an overview of it.
Last edited by elsksa on Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jan8 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:19 pm

jan8 Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:19 pm
I am using it in Blender for staging and rendering. For my needs, the benefits outweigh the UI/X shortcomings at the moment. Since my work is shifting more into abstract motion design, and Octane for blender does not support all the new attribute types Blender keeps adding, a switch to Houdini is in the cards. Blender is kinda bad at the staging process anyway and a more procedural staging approach would make sense.

In order to test octane in houdini, I'd need to have a license however so I figured i'd ask the community for some insight and whether they'd consider the implementation in either application superior or worse to the other, no essays needed
Last edited by jan8 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jan8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Maskeline » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:14 pm

Maskeline Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:14 pm
I now use octane over blender, and have used it a lot with maya.
There is a big difference in terms of speed of work. When you are working with interactive rendering, blender takes much longer than maya... It seems like it's the server that does the work and you have to be constantly communicating with it.

In addition to being integrated with blender directly forces you to update blender when you want to update octane, so in a studio with several workstations and with its own pipeline it is more complex to update.

In general I think that the integration with blender can be improved a lot.
Maskeline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:51 am

linograndiotoy Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:51 am
Can you please present some specific cases when Octane for Blender shows up to be slow for you?
It's really fast here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqxbwbSMnrx ... _copy_link
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Blender