Frequent crashes when using vectron

Forums: Frequent crashes when using vectron
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Frequent crashes when using vectron

Postby TStrolia » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:50 am

TStrolia Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:50 am
I am running into a bit of an issue. I am using the latest version of Octane Blender and everything seems to run fine but when I use Vectron I occasionally run into an Event ID 1000 error.

The error reads:
Code: Select all
Faulting application name: OctaneServer.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x617921f5
Faulting module name: octane.dll, version: 11.0.0.14, time stamp: 0x6178d039
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000ada767
Faulting process id: 0x2660
Faulting application start time: 0x01d816981d840013
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\OctaneServerStudio\OctaneServer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\OctaneServerStudio\octane.dll
Report Id: 5d608a97-46fc-468a-af10-ea562bc263a8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I get these repeatedly with anything other than a simple mandelbulb. I My resources are untouched. CPU doesn't go up in use at all, my ram is not touched at all, I am on a 3090 and that isn't being touched. My system monitors are all just staying the same. The minute I start rendering it just crashes. It unfortunately also does not throw an error in the octane log Prior to crashing so I don't know if octane is telling me anything more specific. I don't know if copies of the octane log are maybe kept somewhere local in the temps that I can pull open but I am not sure that would make much difference given that it seems to be crashing prior to logging anything, at least visually.

I should elaborate also, it isn't just octane, blender crashes too. When one crashes they both do. I have no event ID for a blender crash so I suspect octane is the source of the problem but I am not 100% certain
TStrolia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Frequent crashes when using vectron

Postby jobigoud » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:46 am

jobigoud Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:46 am
Could you make a simple scene in Octane standalone with the same Vectron shader to see if you get a similar crash or if it's specific to the plugin please?
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby TStrolia » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:26 am

TStrolia Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:26 am
jobigoud wrote:Could you make a simple scene in Octane standalone with the same Vectron shader to see if you get a similar crash or if it's specific to the plugin please?

I can give it a shot. I am not well versed in octane stand alone. Let me download that real fast and give it a shot. I will check back right after
TStrolia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TStrolia » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:44 am

TStrolia Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:44 am
jobigoud wrote:Could you make a simple scene in Octane standalone with the same Vectron shader to see if you get a similar crash or if it's specific to the plugin please?

The issue does happen in the stand alone but one of the other scripts DOES work now. It is a paid for script so I don't want to post it publicly but I AM curious if it is related to the script and not specifically vectron. I think the script is a little over a year old now (possibly older). Is it possible there were any breaking changes to OSL/vectron between now and then? I guess that does point to this not being specifically an octane blender issue and just an issue somewhere between the script and octane. Given my resource consumption and the lack of any other errors on my end it doesn't exactly scream hardware problem.

::Edit::
I just realized there actually is a newer version of octane blender and it is a litle more broken than the last. The vectron node when attempting to compile OSL now spits this out at me...
Screenshot 2022-02-01 063713.jpg

One thing I noticed is, the samples that the author included load with the old nodes and 3/5 of them work. The other two dont. When I did it from scratch with the new nodes in 2.93 octane blender, only the mandelbulb worked. Now in 3.0, none of them work, all giving me python errors in the osl. I am going to review that code tomorrow because it looks like at least the OSL problem is python related. Looks like the data_socket variable is being called without any prior assignment. I am just taking a quick peak at it now but the problem is that it has an if statement on data_socket but the variable is set within the if statement so it has no way of doing anything with it. I will try to figure out a fix for this a bit later but I am not 100% sure what is setting the initial state of data_socket in the first place so it may take a bit of tinkering with and I am a bit rusty with python so well see if I can actually do anything with it. Haven't used python heavily in about 6 months now. As for crashing even in stand alone and why even on the old node it didn't work, I think that has to do with octane it's self
TStrolia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:30 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:30 pm
Please share your Blender scene with me. I'll check. Thanks!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby linograndiotoy » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:00 am

linograndiotoy Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:00 am
We've release a new version today, the issue should be fixed now.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Blender