Blender Octane final render is different than viewer

Forums: Blender Octane final render is different than viewer
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Blender Octane final render is different than viewer

Postby Hightechmech » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Hightechmech Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 pm
Can anyone show the correct way to match the final render to the viewer?
Hightechmech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Blender Octane final render is different than viewer

Postby pegot » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:03 pm

pegot Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:03 pm
It is important to realize the viewport and camera final render have independent imager settings. So if you want your final render to look as it does in the viewport you need to synchronize those settings.

For me the best way to do that is using the viewport’s “override” check box. This will override the camera’s imager settings and use the viewport settings for final render.

Viewport Post processes also has an override that acts in the same way.

You also want to correctly set up color management and if outputting to .exr use a non-linear workflow and also pay attention to output options (Blender output vs. Octane output / tone mapped vs. non tone mapped).

Settings that work for me are as follows (though they diverge slightly from some of the ones recommended in the below posts):

Viewer Settings:
Override
Response Type: Linear
Exposure: 1
Gamma: 2.2

Color management Settings:
Display Device: None
View Transform: Standard
Exposure: 0
Gamma: 1
Sequencer: sRGB

These URL discussions can be of assistance:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=73116
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=75015
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=68426
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:33 am

linograndiotoy Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:33 am
Maybe those settings work fine for you, but are not the best option.

1. Best Color Management settings:

* Display Device: sRGB
* View Transform: RAW
* Look: None
* Exposure: 0.0
* Gamma: 1.0
------------------------------------------------------
2. Go to camera tab in Properties window and enable Octane Camera Imager (Render mode)
3. Alternatively go to 3d view Properties panel (N key shortcut), locate Octane Camera Imager (preview Mode) and enable Override. This way all cameras will have the setting from this panel.

Camera Imager for preview should be set to sRGB.

Then is up to the user to decide to save the images in sRGB or Linear.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby tapanojum » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 am

tapanojum Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 am
linograndiotoy wrote:Maybe those settings work fine for you, but are not the best option.

1. Best Color Management settings:

* Display Device: sRGB
* View Transform: RAW
* Look: None
* Exposure: 0.0
* Gamma: 1.0
2. Go to camera tab in Properties window and enable Octane Camera Imager (Render mode)
3. Alternatively go to 3d view Properties panel (N key shortcut), locate Octane Camera Imager (preview Mode) and enable Override. This way all cameras will have the setting from this panel.

Camera Imager for preview should be set to sRGB.

Then is up to the user to decide to save the images in sRGB or Linear.

This last part about it being up to the user to decide to save the images in sRGB or Linear, what are the options in doing so? I'm having difficulty saving a linear EXR without the imager OCIO view/look being applied. I'm using 2022.1 XB1 and set up my color management following elsksa's blog post https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/octane-render-color-management-b3d.

Octane 4.png
Color Management

If I save the file via Octane Output, I get a correct EXR but this method seems to be prone to overwriting. Every time I hit F12 to render, I will be overwriting the saved EXR.
octane1.png

F12 Render -> Image -> Save As -> OpenEXR, I get an EXR with Filmic Log Encoding already applied.
octane2.png
F12 Window

Side by side comparison
octane3.png
Comparison

I want to save the sRGB Raw via Image -> Save As while having Octane Camera Imager(Preview Mode) display the Filmic Log Encoding in the viewport, how can I do it? Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

Thanks

edit: A workaround I've found is to open Octane Viewport and save the EXR directly from there, although Octane Viewport doesn't seem to work in 2022.1 XB1.
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:53 pm

elsksa Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:53 pm
Removed message.
Last edited by elsksa on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tapanojum » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:28 pm

tapanojum Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:28 pm
elsksa wrote:Hi,

https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/octane-render-color-management-b3d may help.

It is strongly recommended to load Filmic OCIO. Octane alone, like any other renderer, does not include an advanced native solution to properly conform high dynamic range radiometrically linear data to "sRGB web ready", simply said. Without it, "visual flaws" will appear, more or less strongly, depending on the scene.

Hi Elsksa, thanks for the response. I've read over your blog over the course of a few days and found it very helpful.

I'm sorry but I may not be understanding your comment correctly. I already have my color management set up as described in your blog. My issue is that saving an EXR through blenders (F12) Render -> Image -> Save As -> OpenEXR gives a different image than saving the EXR via Octane Viewport or Octane Output.

The Viewport, (F12) Render view and the Octane Viewport render all show the same image.
octane10.png

EXR Saved from (F12) Render -> Image -> Save As -> OpenEXR
Octane 11.png

EXR saved from Octane Viewport
Octane 12.png

My goal is to have an EXR saved from Blender's native render window be the same as an EXR saved from Octane's viewport window in Linear. Just to avoid any confusion, by Octane Viewport I mean the "Show Octane Viewport" found in render settings.
Octane13.png
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:06 pm

elsksa Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:06 pm
My bad, I did not even see that it was linked just above and was mostly in response to the original users. I also realized the original post isn't recent. I'm a Standalone user but I lurk around Octane Blender users (on Discord) and don't recall seeing such issue. Usually, it's a matter of following the settings as per the article you are already familiar with.

What about the Camera Imagers? In plural, both the main one (Octane Tab on the right) and from the "Viewport Render View".
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tapanojum » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm

tapanojum Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm
Looks like Blender 3.2 has color management options for the Image -> Save As window. So this issue should resolve itself whenever Octane is updated for 3.2.

oct blend.png
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:56 pm

elsksa Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:56 pm
I discussed on the Octane server with some users (link in my signature) and found out that the F12 "Blender View" will convert to integer and non-linear, as opposed to a 16-bit Beauty EXR which is floating-point (high dynamic range) and "radiometrically" linear. No setting can change any of that as it is a "hardcoded behavior".

Ed O'Connell (llennoco) mentioned to enable the Octane output option to save the EXR directly.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tapanojum » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 am

tapanojum Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 am
I think/hope that they've addressed that issue in 3.2.
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/3.2/Cycles

2022-06-17 17_32_07-Reference_Release Notes_3.2_Cycles - Blender Developer Wiki - Brave.png

elsksa wrote:Ed O'Connell (llennoco) mentioned to enable the Octane output option to save the EXR directly.

I considered this option but found myself constantly overwriting renders. My viewport settings are often different than the final render, so testing how different changes look with F12 results in overwriting prior saves if you're not careful. So far the most convenient method for me is to simply save via Octane Viewport, which unfortunately crashes in the 2022.1 XB1 version.

Thanks for asking about this on the Discord, Elsksa.
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender