PSA octane server keeps allocating ram after exiting blender

Forums: PSA octane server keeps allocating ram after exiting blender
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

PSA octane server keeps allocating ram after exiting blender

Postby crackfox » Thu May 13, 2021 1:40 pm

crackfox Thu May 13, 2021 1:40 pm
maybe this is by design but it actually annoyed the hell out of me just now.
i could not render in cycles anymore on gpu. taskmanager was displaying 90% out of 11gb used with nothing else running.

turns out octaneserver was using some 8+gb running in background doing nothing. probably left over by a previous session and for some reason did not purge.

with the advent of cyclesx and UE4 inching closer to realism, i honestly look forward to leaving this all behind.
if the permanent license was still on, i could probably justify having octane in the toolbox.
with the rental however, i just feel like fool for paying for software i cant use and that keeps aggravating me each step of the way.
my experience in blender was a nightmare, as i have documented past years+.

roll on august.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: PSA octane server keeps allocating ram after exiting blender

Postby grimm » Thu May 13, 2021 8:43 pm

grimm Thu May 13, 2021 8:43 pm
I don't like to keep Server running, I always kill it when I'm done. On Linux Mint I have a handy launcher that makes it easy to restart it, so YMMV.

Jason
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Fri May 14, 2021 10:37 am

linograndiotoy Fri May 14, 2021 10:37 am
crackfox wrote:maybe this is by design but it actually annoyed the hell out of me just now.
i could not render in cycles anymore on gpu. taskmanager was displaying 90% out of 11gb used with nothing else running.

turns out octaneserver was using some 8+gb running in background doing nothing. probably left over by a previous session and for some reason did not purge.

with the advent of cyclesx and UE4 inching closer to realism, i honestly look forward to leaving this all behind.
if the permanent license was still on, i could probably justify having octane in the toolbox.
with the rental however, i just feel like fool for paying for software i cant use and that keeps aggravating me each step of the way.
my experience in blender was a nightmare, as i have documented past years+.

roll on august.

If Octane has been used before switching to Cycles in the same session, it's perfectly normal for the Server to still keep the object/texture data in the GPU, since those are cached.
As you exit Octane for Blender, the GPU memory will be totally released and free to be used. You can also just clear the cache hitting "Stop Render" in the Octane Server options section before switching to Cycles.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby crackfox » Fri May 14, 2021 3:39 pm

crackfox Fri May 14, 2021 3:39 pm
thanks lino,

the scenario you described is to be expected.
however to be clear:

i exited blender for octane and started up the e-cycles build and could only render via cpu.
took me a while to actually figure out what was using up the vram.

the server definitely did not purge the cache upon closing blender octane.

@jason: yeah my mileage definitely varies when it comes to octane blender.
side question: how is the blender perf on the linux version, specifically cycles? can UE4 run well?
i would like nothing more to get rid of windows 10 tbh. i have PTSD from updates.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Fri May 14, 2021 3:53 pm

crackfox Fri May 14, 2021 3:53 pm
just tried it again and same thing.
after i close the blender/octane the server still retains data. screencap attached.

usually i would get frustrated say this is complete nonsense but at this point i am happy to be leaving octane behind.
all in all it was an aggravating experience tbh.
Attachments
octane_vram.jpg
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Fri May 14, 2021 6:08 pm

linograndiotoy Fri May 14, 2021 6:08 pm
crackfox wrote:just tried it again and same thing.
after i close the blender/octane the server still retains data. screencap attached.

usually i would get frustrated say this is complete nonsense but at this point i am happy to be leaving octane behind.
all in all it was an aggravating experience tbh.

You're probably using an old version of the plugin. It works in 23.5.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby grimm » Fri May 14, 2021 6:46 pm

grimm Fri May 14, 2021 6:46 pm
crackfox wrote:@jason: yeah my mileage definitely varies when it comes to octane blender.
side question: how is the blender perf on the linux version, specifically cycles? can UE4 run well?
i would like nothing more to get rid of windows 10 tbh. i have PTSD from updates.

Blender performance in Linux, in general, is better than Windows. Although with GPU rendering I'm thinking that it's about the same and probably depends on your scene. I have installed both Unity and UE5, and was able to do some very simple projects with Unity and it worked fine (no crashes or weirdness). I haven't had the time to test UE5 yet, I only know that it installed with out issues and I was able to look at the demos.

Jason
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Sat May 15, 2021 11:49 am

crackfox Sat May 15, 2021 11:49 am
i made sure i downloaded both latest blender installation files.
my blender.exe is dated 16.4. cant seem to ever find a way to check the plugin version.

i installed the latest because i get "this version is not longer supported" every once in a while.
infact i recently(under a week ago) got the error again so i redownloaded the files only to realize the latest build is installed.

thanks jason. but everything runs on vulcan over there? all of the cuda stuff isnt support or is it?
also..this is the first time i hear UE5 is in beta. any links?(gleefully rubs hands)
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Sat May 15, 2021 3:31 pm

grimm Sat May 15, 2021 3:31 pm
Ack, no sorry my bad, I have UE4 installed. :( I want to get UE5 as well, there appears to be a link for 5 on the web site. But it's for Windows, so no good for Linux. They just released 4.26 so maybe it just points to that version.
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Wed May 26, 2021 11:47 pm

crackfox Wed May 26, 2021 11:47 pm
heads up jason. UE5 dropped.:)

your pc will suffer though. good luck
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender