How to speed render up on Mac

Forums: How to speed render up on Mac
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

How to speed render up on Mac

Postby haffy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm

haffy Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm
A couple of questions to clear things up :)

Is there any eGPU enclosures that can take multiple GPUs for Mac, that's not a DIY solution? I use an Macbook Pro as my main workstation..
Is there any way to set up a render slave running Linux/Windows on LAN to work with Blender / Octane X?
Can I access and send work to Otoys render farm ORC from inside Blender?
3D Generalist.
haffy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to speed render up on Mac

Postby frankmci » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:56 pm

frankmci Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:56 pm
I'm only passingly familiar with Blender, but FYI, we are using Macs as our main workstations with C4D, and have Octane render slaves running on Mac OS, Windows 10, and Ubuntu on the LAN, without any problems.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:02 pm

J.C Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:02 pm
haffy wrote:A couple of questions to clear things up :)

Is there any eGPU enclosures that can take multiple GPUs for Mac, that's not a DIY solution? I use an Macbook Pro as my main workstation..

Yes they are, but they are pretty expensive. As far as I remember Tom Glimps build one that could hold 4 GPUs connected to a computer with a single ThunderBolt connection.

haffy wrote:Is there any way to set up a render slave running Linux/Windows on LAN to work with Blender / Octane X?

Sure, you can. Bear in mind that both have to be running same version of Octane.

haffy wrote:Can I access and send work to Otoys render farm ORC from inside Blender?

You can export an .ORBX file from Blender and upload it using ORC.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haffy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm

haffy Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm
J.C wrote:
haffy wrote:A couple of questions to clear things up :)

Yes they are, but they are pretty expensive. As far as I remember Tom Glimps build one that could hold 4 GPUs connected to a computer with a single ThunderBolt connection.

haffy wrote:Is there any way to set up a render slave running Linux/Windows on LAN to work with Blender / Octane X?

Sure, you can. Bear in mind that both have to be running same version of Octane.

haffy wrote:Can I access and send work to Otoys render farm ORC from inside Blender?

You can export an .ORBX file from Blender and upload it using ORC.

Thanks for your answers, and you too frankmci. :)

I will look up what Tom Glimps have done, sounds interesting. I just wonder why nobody else is working with this, there must be a market for it? Must be more people than me that work on laptop.

Regarding using a slave, can this work if I use Metal on the laptop and Cuda on the slave?
3D Generalist.
haffy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 pm

J.C Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 pm
haffy wrote:Regarding using a slave, can this work if I use Metal on the laptop and Cuda on the slave?

You can but both Master and Slave must run the same Octane versions.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender