Octane Blender vs Octane C4D?

Forums: Octane Blender vs Octane C4D?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Octane Blender vs Octane C4D?

Postby linograndiotoy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:37 am

linograndiotoy Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:37 am
J.C wrote:
aoktar wrote:I don't think so, I'm pretty sure devs read the feedbacks and take notes!

Reading feedback and taking notes does not substitute proper communication.

About release status, we've communicated any available information Bartek. I just answered your post where you wonder if Blender has become a "playground" since no 2019.1.5 release has been done yet.
I already explained in other posts we needed to complete 2020 implementation first (especially the new Object Type, so needed), which is now done.
2019.1.5 will come soon now and will benefit of the new feature.

Moreover, you know I'm pretty much always available on Facebook for any urgent answer you may need.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:37 pm

J.C Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:37 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
J.C wrote:
aoktar wrote:I don't think so, I'm pretty sure devs read the feedbacks and take notes!

Reading feedback and taking notes does not substitute proper communication.

About release status, we've communicated any available information Bartek. I just answered your post where you wonder if Blender has become a "playground" since no 2019.1.5 release has been done yet.
I already explained in other posts we needed to complete 2020 implementation first (especially the new Object Type, so needed), which is now done.
2019.1.5 will come soon now and will benefit of the new feature.

Moreover, you know I'm pretty much always available on Facebook for any urgent answer you may need.

Lino, I know you are available on Facebook. You have asked how do we improve the communication. If you want to move this to Facebook, be my guest. Just make it clear the Blender forums section is pretty useless for communication so we can definitely close this chapter. My only concern after this move will be Bug reporting. If there is no feedback I won't be sure it will be noticed and fixer after all. Best would be to use Mantis like bug reporting system like it is used with Corona render or other system eg. Blender bug reporting website.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:39 pm

linograndiotoy Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:39 pm
Just make it clear the Blender forums section is pretty useless for communication so we can definitely close this chapter.

I definitely don't think using forums is useless. It can be just slower.

Just don't make it personal, Bartek, please.

Today you posted this, basically asking for something that has been already answered elsewhere:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=73852

Specifically here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=73576&p=376070&hilit=after+2020+XB2#p376070

The developer needs to complete a list of tasks on a project before jumping to another, and going back and forth between 2019 and 2020 (especially in the middle of a big task) is generally not a good idea.
When 2019.1.5 came out, we were on 2020 already. Which was important, because if you don't release it, someone is going to ask why we still don't have a 2020 implementation for Blender.
As I've answered somewhere else today, now it's finally possible to work on the release of a 2019.1.5 build, which of course will benefit of the object type feature, so important to limit scene update time and productivity.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 pm

J.C Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
Just make it clear the Blender forums section is pretty useless for communication so we can definitely close this chapter.

I definitely don't think using forums is useless. It can be just slower.

Just don't make it personal, Bartek, please.

Today you posted this, basically asking for something that has been already answered elsewhere:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=73852

Specifically here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=73576&p=376070&hilit=after+2020+XB2#p376070

The developer needs to complete a list of tasks on a project before jumping to another, and going back and forth between 2019 and 2020 (especially in the middle of a big task) is generally not a good idea.
When 2019.1.5 came out, we were on 2020 already. Which was important, because if you don't release it, someone is going to ask why we still don't have a 2020 implementation for Blender.
As I've answered somewhere else today, now it's finally possible to work on the release of a 2019.1.5 build, which of course will benefit of the object type feature, so important to limit scene update time and productivity.

We know forums are slower compared to other means of communication and nowadays they feel obsolete and outdated. I would prefer completely switch to Facebook or Discord but this is not my decision.

It's hard to not to make it personal after investing a lot of time to keep this forum section alive. I love Blender and Octane and I don't want to switch to other 3d app or render engines. Without a visible support Octane for Blender may may end up as a wasted potential especially when there is an interest to bring other engines to Blender.

I understand there is a list of tasks on a project but if the project is that big it consumes all available time and resources then it's time to hire another developer that can keep Plugin up to date.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 am

linograndiotoy Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 am
J.C wrote:It's hard to not to make it personal after investing a lot of time to keep this forum section alive. I love Blender and Octane and I don't want to switch to other 3d app or render engines. Without a visible support Octane for Blender may may end up as a wasted potential especially when there is an interest to bring other engines to Blender.

I understand there is a list of tasks on a project but if the project is that big it consumes all available time and resources then it's time to hire another developer that can keep Plugin up to date.

I definitely do not agree with the "lack of visible support" for Octane for Blender.
Support happens here on the forums, on the Facebook groups and OTOY's helpdesk.

Since 2 years now at least, I think Octane for Blender has improved a lot. It starts to feel quite mature to me, especially in its 2020 incarnation.
Again, there are choices to be made that may seem "unpopular" at times, but make perfect sense considering the due tasks and the available resources. I'm sorry that seems to fight against user's patience sometimes, but that patience is going to be rewarded.

Now that 21.3 major features are complete (with important changes like Mesh Type that will go straight into 2019.1.5 as well) a new version supporting 2019.1.5 is coming.
That's been stated several times already, we're not developing in a "black box" here.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:39 pm

J.C Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:39 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
I definitely do not agree with the "lack of visible support" for Octane for Blender.
Support happens here on the forums, on the Facebook groups and OTOY's helpdesk.

The support is great on Facebook. I and my friend started the group because we couldn't find the proper support here.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=62668&p=321547
As you can see there was not any reply from Octane team on this topic. Luckily you have joined the group and the support for Blender plugin has improved.

You have asked how to improve this situation on forum. I've posted my proposals before. Are there any proposals?
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20 pm

linograndiotoy Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20 pm
J.C wrote:My proposals are:
1. Close all discussion here and move it to Facebook which is more interactive and much faster. Here I would leave only section with bug reports and releases.

That's interesting, we need to evaluate pro and cons.

2. Bugs reports should be confirmed or commented much quicker then it is now. Preferably developers should devote their time to respond to them every day. Like 1 hour of their daily routine.

I agree, and trying to do my best about it.

3. If discussion stays here developers should devote their time to respond posts every day. Like 1 hour of their daily routine.

Agreed.

4. Preferably there could be a person like you that visits the forums every day and respond to posts along with developers.

I agree, and trying to do my best about it. Somehow I'm your link to the developers.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby eklein » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

eklein Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am
Linograndi,

I have use octane blender for many years and support in the forum really has improve considerably in the last year. Specially since you have join Otoy.

Please do keep support in forum, I don't use Facebook due to privacy and other reasons. I am fine with support on the forum being slightly slower. I also like the forum format better than Facebook, because it has categories with different thread subjects and is better search.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.
Last edited by eklein on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
eklein
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pegot » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm

pegot Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm
PLEASE, keep all matters here in these forums. I do not use Facebook either. It amazes me how people think a non-linear social forum is a good choice for software discussions about techniques and issues. It is frustratingly difficult and inefficient to find information on past discussions in social media formats. A linear format such as we have here makes it possible to easily search past threads, topics, or key words. One can also bookmark those pages for easy return, as well as to see what info has been added or amended.

Synology and Adobe changed their forums into social media type formats and those platforms for reference are near useless now.
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 pm

frankmci Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
J.C wrote:My proposals are:
1. Close all discussion here and move it to Facebook which is more interactive and much faster. Here I would leave only section with bug reports and releases.

That's interesting, we need to evaluate pro and cons.

Having a presence on Facebook is undoubtedly a good idea. Using it as your primary point of contact, interaction and support system with your user base would be extremely unwise, in my opinion. I'm speaking as a user and member of many professional production tool forums ever since the Lightwave and Electric Image forums were hosted on AOL in the early 90s. You really do not want to hitch your cart to that horse.

User forums and their searchable histories are a crucial part of the user experience in an industry dominated by constantly changing technology. Giving up full control over that information and that interaction would be extremely short-sighted.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Blender