Motion Blur for Fluids Simulations?

Forums: Motion Blur for Fluids Simulations?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Motion Blur for Fluids Simulations?

Postby brent_3d » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:29 pm

brent_3d Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:29 pm
grimm wrote:I would be very interested in that as well, I generated the fluids with Flip Fluids as well, but I couldn't get it to work.

This is what he showed, I don't have Flip Fluids yet and the example is in Octane v4 for blender I believe so I can't verify at the moment.
Attachments
Lino FlipFluid Guide2.png
Lino FlipFluid Guide.png
brent_3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:14 pm

grimm Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:14 pm
Ah yeah, awesome, that second image is what I was missing. Thanks! :D
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phartog_1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 am

Phartog_1 Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 am
Hello everybody,

I have been reading this thread, because I am trying to rendera simple flip fluid, pour in cup simulation with motion blur. I enabled all the things in flip fluids ("render motion blur" and "generate motion blur vectors"). When I try to render it with octane (enable motion blur internal). What happens is that I see intersected meshes of different fluid bodies. As I understand it, flip fluids is adding shape keys to the fluid surface mesh and upon rendering this needs to be used by octane to create motion blur. But it seems octane is now rendering these as solid meshes.

In the attachment an example of what's happening. The first image is with motion blur off, and the second one when I enabled it.

Render motion blur - 01 - motion blur off.png
Motion blur off

Render motion blur - 02 - motion blur on.png
Motion blur on

Does anybody has any ideas how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Phartog_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pegot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:53 pm

pegot Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:53 pm
Phartog_1 wrote:Does anybody has any ideas how to solve this?

Set your generated FlipFluid mesh to Global in the Octane Properties tab. Unfortunately, in addition to Motion Blur, FlipFluids do not work with most settings in the Octane Properties tab.

Regarding Motion Blur: The Octane Blender Internal motion blur doesn't work but the Subframe motion blur does (in order for Subframe motion blur to render you still need to enable both Motion Blur and Generate Motion Vectors in the FlipFluid settings.
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phartog_1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 am

Phartog_1 Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 am
pegot wrote:
Phartog_1 wrote:Does anybody has any ideas how to solve this?

Set your generated FlipFluid mesh to Global in the Octane Properties tab. Unfortunately, in addition to Motion Blur, FlipFluids do not work with most settings in the Octane Properties tab.

Regarding Motion Blur: The Octane Blender Internal motion blur doesn't work but the Subframe motion blur does (in order for Subframe motion blur to render you still need to enable both Motion Blur and Generate Motion Vectors in the FlipFluid settings.

Hi pegot, thank you for the reply and explanation. I got it to work. The only problem I know experience is that in areas where the liquid is in a obstacle (a cup in this case), there's still some interference, probably because of the motion blur inside the cup (liquid still swirling around). Is there a solution or work around for this?

Also what I noticed is, that with the subframe method, you need a lot of motion samples, to have it look good. Even with 10 motion samples, I thought the motion blur didn't look very smooth.

0310.png
interference with obstacle
Phartog_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pegot » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:58 pm

pegot Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:58 pm
To prevent liquid from going through the cup you probably have to fiddle around with the various FlipFluid controls, including making sure the cup mesh is solid enough – increasing resolution may help. There are several controls that you can experiment with, including Particle Jitter, Surface Tension, Sheeting Effects. Consult the FlipFluid documentation, they also have a good tutorial on using some of those settings, I think.

However, if some of the fluid is escaping the cup just from the different stages of the motion blur itself, I do not think there is too much you can do. None of the Subframe controls seem to work – only setting the Motion Samples seems to do anything and even at its max 32 gives very segmented results.
Would be great if the Octane Blender devs could work with the FlipFluid developer to see if this issue could be fixed. The FlipFluids motion blur does work great with Cycles though.

You can also try Blender’s own fluid simulator to see if it will work with Octane motion blur (I have not tried that yet myself).
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phartog_1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Phartog_1 Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:21 pm
Hi Pegot, thanks for the reply. Maybe in the future there will be some improvement to this. I now solved it by rendering it with and without motion blur and masking the bottom part of the animation in post.
Phartog_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm

grimm Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm
Another thing you could try is to have a proxy object for your container. Make it much thicker but the same size internally and run the simulation with it. Once the simulation is finished you can either delete or hide the proxy object and then use the original object in its place when you render.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Blender