export ORBX animation

Forums: export ORBX animation
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

export ORBX animation

Postby carmandale » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:47 pm

carmandale Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:47 pm
I am working on a 720 frame animation in Blender and using Octane to render.

In general, I love it. Having used Maya and Cinema 4D, and also being new to Blender, I am enjoying it.

I am having some inconsistent results when exporting to ORBX. basically, sometimes it works and sometimes it just stops with no message. At first, it was no big deal but now that I am trying to hit a deadline, it is becoming an issue. It seems that the only way to get a good result that I can render on our Octane farm is to export the frame range as ORBX. When I try to export just the animated pieces as an Octane alembic, the objects show on frame 1 and then disappear after. It exports consistently, but just isn't usable. The export Octane ORBX looks correct when it works, but after an hour of exporting, sometimes just fails with no message. One thing I will try is to export multiple ORBX files of parts of the frame range. I have an idea that maybe it is a memory problem or file size problem? it is a large file - 1.3gig when successful.

Sorry that this post is vague. I just haven't seen anything yet that is a consistent error.

So, the question is...are there any known issues with the Octane for Blender plugin with exporting?

thanks, Dale
carmandale
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: export ORBX animation

Postby AndreasResch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:41 am

AndreasResch Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:41 am
Hey.

I had the same issues. Sometimes the export progress bar just got stuck and never finished or the server crashed while exporting. If a scene had these issues, I never could export from that scene any longer even if I reloaded the scene and tried again. So it's not completely random, but it's also hard to pinpoint the problems with so many settings at work. This happens for me with still images as I rarely export animations.

Cheerio,
Andreas
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:00 am

grimm Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:00 am
I noticed that the ORBX export takes a very large amount of memory. I have a FLIP fluid simulation that I was trying to export and it used up all my memory 32GB + 8GB of swap and only got half way through the export. This could be the same issue both of you are having? Nothing was saved in the export file so I'm assuming it was done completely in memory before the data gets dumped to the file? This is with 16.2 version of the plugin.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AndreasResch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am

AndreasResch Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am
Memory wasn't the issue in my case. The scenes were very small and I managed to export several other scenes of similar complexity.
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender