Exporting ORBX without server running

Forums: Exporting ORBX without server running
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Exporting ORBX without server running

Postby AndreasResch » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 pm

AndreasResch Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 pm
Hey.

Why do I have to have the server running when I want to export ORBX files? That's pretty annoying when you render on your secondary PC while you prepare the scenes on the primary PC. I always have to wait for the renderings to finish, then have to shut down the server on the secondary PC, start the server on the primary PC, open and export the scene, close the server on the primary PC and start the server on the secondary PC again.

Any explanation about the server involvement in file exporting?

Cheers,
Andreas
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Exporting ORBX without server running

Postby grimm » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm

grimm Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm
It's the server that creates the file. When you do the request to save, the plugin sends the request to the server which does the work. All of the proprietary stuff is done in the server and can't be done in the plugin because of Blenders GPL license.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AndreasResch » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:58 am

AndreasResch Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:58 am
What part of the Blender GPL license prohibits to write out a file format? I've seen this done many times before by other addons.

Cheers,
Andreas
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:33 am

grimm Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:33 am
You would have to ask the developers. I suspect that it's because it keeps the code in one place and makes it easier to maintain.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AndreasResch » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:53 am

AndreasResch Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:53 am
Well - the question is asked right up top. If any of the developers find time to walk by, their answer is appreciated. With the server being a bit of an unpredictable program, I would unload as many tasks as possible from its core. At the moment the solution is a big show stopper for individual users as myself with the already harsh limitation of just one server at a time.
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jandress » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm

jandress Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm
Aside from performance issues as blender addons are written in python, the blender license requires that blender addons be licensed under the GPL. The blender addon is just blender UI code and logic to communicate with the server. Any functions moved from the server to the plugin would have to be open sourced by Otoy. Do you really think that is going to happen?
jandress
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AndreasResch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:56 am

AndreasResch Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:56 am
Hey.

How can I make any assumption about whether this is going to happen or not, if I'm not involved in the decision process or have sufficient information about the decision strategies of OTOY? It worked pretty well in Renderman for example, where the addon was responsible for producing the compiled files for the renderer.

Cheers,
Andreas
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:41 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:41 pm
It looks like having the server active is needed for export, since the server itself is somehow used for the scope.

Actually exporting from Blender is quite nice, considering that other versions of the plugins not only require the Server to be running, but also the IPR to be active during the export process.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby AndreasResch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 pm

AndreasResch Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 pm
Hey.

There might be engines who handle it worse (haven't used one of those so far) and there are engines that handle it "better" (I mentioned Renderman). But this was just a question/wish. If there's nothing that can be done about it, then that's just how it is.

What would be great either way would be, that I can still be logged into the server, while my second PC is running and perform exporting ORBX and use the preview rendering to check my scene and materials. Like that I could work parallel on two machines and would not have to buy a second license for these minor tasks. I can live with just one PC being able to render production quality. Otherwise I will have to wait until a demo version of V4 is available so I can use it as a preview renderer. I'm doing this now with the V3 demo, but I can't save in it, as all my render passes that are available in V4 will be lost. That's not e very elegant version for a licensed customer though. I'm sure there's a way to make this happen.

Cheerio,
Andreas
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender