Textures and UV unwrapping

Forums: Textures and UV unwrapping
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Textures and UV unwrapping

Postby cropkaarchitects » Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 pm

cropkaarchitects Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 pm
Hi Everyone,

I have been getting a real headache trying to get the textures to work with Blender & Octane. It seems like the only way to get textures to display in Octane is to unwrap EVERY object in the blend file, am I right? Please can somebody say this is not true??? I have thousands of objects in the scenes and I cannot imagine unwrapping all of them one by one - this would just take days if not weeks!

Is there any workaround, pleeeeeaaaassseee :?

Or can I maybe unwrap all objects at once?

Thanks for any helpful ideas!
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Textures and UV unwrapping

Postby GeoPappas » Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 pm

GeoPappas Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 pm
cropkaarchitects wrote:It seems like the only way to get textures to display in Octane is to unwrap EVERY object in the blend file, am I right?

That is correct. For Octane to display textures, they need to be UV unwrapped.
GeoPappas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cropkaarchitects » Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 pm

cropkaarchitects Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 pm
:cry:

Thanks for quick reply.

Is this really how U guys do it? This makes making architectural visualisation impossible, unless someone wants to spend days setting up UV's? Especially that UV mapped textures don't export like I would like unless every plane has a separate UV. On a complex building this is just impossible...

Do U know if there are any plans to change this or at least get a UV mapping functionality from within Octane?

BTW, if I am correct - the texture cannot be moved once in Octane, only a scale tool is available?
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Thu May 26, 2011 7:04 am

matej Thu May 26, 2011 7:04 am
When you are done modeling, join the meshes of all your objects by material and UV unwrap with cube projection (or any other method that will keep scale, but cube works ok with walls, chairs & other archviz stuff). Then fine tune the UV grid on the more important objects and export. Considering the amount of archviz in the gallery, people successfully manage this shortcoming. But, there have already been a lot of request for auto coordinates inside Octane and I don't doubt it will be done someday.

cropkaarchitects wrote:BTW, if I am correct - the texture cannot be moved once in Octane, only a scale tool is available?

That's right, currently the only possible transform on image textures is uniform scale. (this will also be improved, I hope)
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 am

Refracty Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 am
If you use Rhino then every Polygonsurface will inherit the parent UV chords (from the NURBS Surface).
But you will still be able to assign box, sphere, planar or custom mappings.
Rhino is great for modelling Archviz or Industrial Products.
If you are curios give it a try. There is a fully functional eval demo.
:roll:
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cropkaarchitects » Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 pm

cropkaarchitects Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 pm
Thanks Matej - I will definitely try this. Hopefully this will help me re-render some of the models I have set up for renderers other than octane. Still seems to be a bit of unnecessary hassle. Fair enough though, these are still early days of octane, so I will just patiently wait for an upgrade ;)

As for Rhino - I know it is great, I have used it before and I love it. However if you need to buy one license per PC for circa £1k - it puts me off a little bit. So - thumbs up for Blender ( for now anyway )!
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender