scene VRAM optimization

Forums: scene VRAM optimization
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

scene VRAM optimization

Postby Rik56 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Rik56 Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm
Hello, recently I've been having trouble fitting my scene into VRAM (6gb) and I can't use out-of-core because I am using pci-e risers which results in huge performance loss.

So I was wondering

- is there some way to see how much memory is used? Preferably with some kind of breakdown of textures / geometry maybe even with specific texture sizes?
- what are the best way to reduce VRAM load? Is it true that converting PNG textures to JPEG wont help cause the textures get decompressed before put into memory?
- I am using figures with diffuse, bump and SSS textures, I assume if I have to reduce size of one texture it would be SSS first?

Any help or additional resources on this topic would be appreciated.
Rik56
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: scene VRAM optimization

Postby J.C » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 am

J.C Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 am
Hi Rik56,

There is total information how much memory is used. Lets ask devs if the can split it up like in standalone app.

To save some memory you can use float image texture to load grayscale images
You can use the same diffuse texture for bump modifying it using Color Correct texture so you wont have to load two textures into memory. The format of texture does not matter as it is decompressed.

The other issue is that after opening octane on windows isome ram is being taken thus you are left with 1GB less if you have 6GB ram on GPU. The solution for this is to go fo Wingows 7, Linux or OSX where this does not happen. Bare in mind that using the same Gpu for display and rendering is not a good option as this gpu has to deal with Blender”s viewport, interface and system display which takes some ram too.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender