Propper Skin Shader Help

Forums: Propper Skin Shader Help
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Propper Skin Shader Help

Postby oblivion » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:17 pm

oblivion Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:17 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to build a propper skin shader, but I just can't get it to work correctly. Maybe someone can help me with this? Would be great!!

I imported the tony sculptor skin r20, and it came in like in the first picture. I guess thats not right, or am I wrong? The second specular shader is in the displacement slot of the first shader. I've experienced the same issue with some other live materials. Is this a bug?
01.JPG

So I plugged the second shader to the mix shader, the model got completely black. I guess this is because of the scale of the scatter medium?
02.JPG

I lowered the scale of both scatter mediums and the ears and parts of the nose, where I would like them to scatter started to appear.
03.JPG

At last I mixed the node tree with a glossy shader, which has the body texture applied. Problem with this is that it mixes everything, not only the scattered parts but also the black parts. So the model gets darkened.
04.JPG

Am I totally wrong with my way of doing it???
oblivion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Propper Skin Shader Help

Postby J.C » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:07 pm

J.C Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:07 pm
If you are copying material setup without understanding then this makes no sense. Using other's setups is a great way to learn but only when you know why it is build so.
I would start with blank page and follow the steps below:

1. Make sure Object scale is right. Setting this to too big or too small may lead to unwanted results.
2. Check kernel type. Make sure it's Path trace or PMC.
3. Start with blank node editor. Add Specular material and play with all the settings to see how they react and how they change under different light conditions.
4. Add Scattering medium node and play with it's settings to achieve the result you want.
5. Add Glossy Material for epidermal layer.
6. Add textures. Ideally One for SSS or Transmission color and second for epidermal color.
6. Mix Specular and Glossy material and play with the mix slider.

The attached picture is just with two materials (Specular and Glossy) mixed together.
Attachments
face.png
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oblivion » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 am

oblivion Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 am
Hey J.C,

thanks for you explanation! that looks awesome! would you be so kind and post the .blend file for your shader, so I can see what exactly you did?
oblivion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:00 pm

J.C Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:00 pm
Hi Oblivion,

I did what I explained above. Nothing more. If you follow my steps you'll achieve the same :)
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby UnCommonGrafx » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:20 pm

UnCommonGrafx Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:20 pm
It works.
Thanks for the setup.
i7-4770K, 32gb ram, windows 8.1, GTX Titan and gt 620 for display