Is this really the animation capabilities?

Forums: Is this really the animation capabilities?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Is this really the animation capabilities?

Postby Jaberwocky » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Jaberwocky Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:28 pm
The only way this is realy gonna work is with plugins to be developed for Octane to work within each of the renderer's concerned.The export plugin's are fine for casual movies and for still images.However it's no substitue for Octane to be plugged within each of the renderer's like for example Mental ray in 3dsmax etc.

Not sure how you would achieve that mind you. :geek:
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Carl S. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Carl S. Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 pm
face wrote:
Carl S. wrote:
face wrote:I think a ex/import time of maybe 5-8min + a render time of the same is better, than a total rendertime of 30min from other renderers to become the same quality.
If you have it fast, you need it faster...
This is an unibased renderer, look at the others on the market and then complain.
If you not need the unibased stuff, use your internal renderer.

face

Doesn't make sense. Iray doesn't have to open and close each frame. Unbiased or not that isn't a real reason or excuse for a un-optimized workflow regarding animation, you are just forcing it to be a reason.

If unibased isn´t a reason, use IRay with his animation capabilities and be happy ;)

face

I do, and I am. My point was that if the renderer is biased or not, technically has nothing to do with the program closing and opening each frame.
Carl S.
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 pm

face Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 pm
Ok, with that i agree with you... ;)
The integration in a 3D-App is nothing for the next 1-2 years, i think.

What i mean is, that everyone wants everything. If you haven´t it, than everyone will complain.
Also live with it or don´t use it.

The best example is an user which writes under the new node features thread, that he will have passes and a batch renderer.
On an other thread, he need the function xy, otherwise his girlfriend will leave him.
Hello, anyone at home?
That´s what me make worry.

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby chrisskinner78 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:06 pm

chrisskinner78 Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:06 pm
I've used Octane for a couple of animations now and it can be a little frustrating. I still found it quicker with better results than what I could get in blender. I had frames taking nearly 4 minutes in Blender compared to less than a minutr in Octane (not including exporting the scene).

I think using the 'Fly' mode works really well and is quick, obviously no good if you want to animate more then the camera though. I also found using the 'Animation' rendering setting worked ok as well but needed quite a bit of babysitting. I would leave it for an hour or so and come back to find Octane had crashed and to continue you need to close it. Saying that I rendered an animation 850 frames long and only needed to go back and render 10 frames where it had crashed. Like somebody said, I think these are more problems to do with Octane itslef.

And like someone else said, don't use it in a production pipeline unless you've done some planning first.

If anybody is interested here's a couple of anims I've done using Blender, Octane and After Effects.
http://www.c-skinner.co.uk/skinnercreat ... enger.html
http://www.c-skinner.co.uk/skinnercreat ... ation.html

I can't wait until Octane is released as a final product and I'm sure a lot of these issues/bugs will be resolved.
http://www.skinnercreative.co.uk

i7-950 / 12GB SAMSUNG DDR3 / GTX470 / Win7 64 Pro
chrisskinner78
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 pm

face Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 pm
Cool examples.
Thats right, Octane freezes to many times.
But I think I have an solution, but not for blender...

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Carl S. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Carl S. Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:37 pm
face wrote:Ok, with that i agree with you... ;)
The integration in a 3D-App is nothing for the next 1-2 years, i think.

What i mean is, that everyone wants everything. If you haven´t it, than everyone will complain.
Also live with it or don´t use it.

The best example is an user which writes under the new node features thread, that he will have passes and a batch renderer.
On an other thread, he need the function xy, otherwise his girlfriend will leave him.
Hello, anyone at home?
That´s what me make worry.

face

Yes I agree with that, I have posted my displeasure with some of the stuff that is being requested around here by mostly hobbyists and the like.
Nobody should have to request this "feature" it should be standard operating practice. I wouldn't even call it a feature, it's more a fundamental function.
Carl S.
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ttaberna » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:02 am

ttaberna Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:02 am
Hey people
Well I am not saying I want everything, but it is anoying to se it open and load scene once and again.
I think that it could be a middle solution, I mean, that implementation with 3d apps is something that is so time expensive, but in the other hand octane has already inside animation support, like daylight animation, not a big deal in terms of animation beacuse it is static animation, but more interesting is the turntable animation.
For flythrough animations it would be cool a way to import the camera data altogether into octane with the implementation of another IO file type, like fbx or collada or rib or whatever is best, an let octane only load the scene once.
There are some "nonesense requests" out there :D .
I guess team will find a way to ease this importing thing.
Of course it is much more important to get some material nodes, mlt kernel (or whatever the name will be) and a long list of things, and animation management is one that have to take care of at some point.
Cheers
Rampage IV Extreme+i7 3920k+2x GTX580 3GB+2x GTX470
ttaberna
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thwak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:15 pm

thwak Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:15 pm
I have bit my tongue on this subject for quite a while now and finally can't stand it any more.

This is beta software that is still missing substantial basic still-frame rendering features. Whining about non-optimal animation workflow/features (or anything related to animation for that matter) is putting the cart way, way before the horse.

[/]flamesuit on
Ubuntu 9.10 x64 | GTS 240 | 260.19.44 drivers | 3.0 Toolkit | Dual-Core 2.4 GHz | 4Gb| Blender 2.56a/latest Yoyoz plugin
WinXP32 | GTS 240 | 266.58 drivers | 3.0 Toolkit | Dual-Core 2.4 GHz | 4Gb | Blender 2.56a/latest Yoyoz plugin
thwak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Blender