Non-offical Blender 2.56 plugin

Forums: Non-offical Blender 2.56 plugin
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Non-offical Blender 2.56 plugin

Postby r0ug3r » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:57 pm

r0ug3r Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:57 pm
radiant wrote:yoyoz can u please evaluate this problem

HI radiant, I have this problem before, I just thought this may help.I do have some material with texture missing or with names that has underscore (_), in your case you can check the texture slot of 'machine gun'.the texture might be missing or relocated or renamed.

of course we need it to be checked by yoyoz.

thankz!!
chow!!
win7Pro, i7 8GBram, Nvidia GEForce GT220 1GB Cuda32
r0ug3r
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yoyoz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm

yoyoz Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm
@ radiant: I confirm this is symptomatic of a missing texture (texture slot defined but empty or not defined to an image/sequence). BTW, underscores should not give problems. The previous exporters ignored this error but it meant others errors would have been masked too.

@ r0ug3r: I'll need to see the mtl you get from the exporter. May be the logics of 2.43 have changed but I've not tested this area specifically. In addition I can hardly test myself now as the exporter doesn't work well with the latest builds of blender which I use for developping the 'next-gen' exporter... Manually pulling specularity down to 0 may help forcing material to diffuse if I did something wrong. check IOR = 1 too...

I'll be away for the whole week starting now and without the opportunity to test Octane (crap business laptop), please be patient :-) . I should be able to keep an eye on the forum in the evenings.
Desktop: Ubuntu 13.04 x64 - i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz - 32GB DDR3 - GTX670 2048MB
Laptop: Linux Mint 11 x64 - i7-2860QM @ 2.5GHz - 16GB DDR3 - Quadro 3000M 2GB
Software: NVidia 319.12 - Cuda 4.2.9 - Blender 2.66a
yoyoz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby regionfive » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:04 pm

regionfive Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:04 pm
Hi Yoyoz,

yes you are right, Grohe is German :) you may recognize it in bathrooms, it is a company which builds
faucets :)
So, is there a restriction for the output folder? I tried different ones but it gives me the same problem all the time.
my blender build is 34076 so that shouldn´t be a problem right?
I also can render still images. but fly and animate won´t work.
Another question:
How can I access the roughness parameter of octane for glossy materials within blender?
I need a chrome-like material, very reflecting, but i cant think of a way to control the roughness.
And it might be an Idea, to separate the "force intensity of specular/diffuse to 1" from each other.
It is a very helpful option, but in case you have glossy and diffuse materials, you might want to force the one, but not the other. ;)

Thank you, and special thanks for the possibility to work this way with blender and octane, it´s so great!!

René
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yoyoz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:16 pm

yoyoz Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:16 pm
Hi René,

you should definitely try another output directory, may be on another drive. There's obviously no spaces in the name you've choosen so if python reports it's invalid anyway there's probably another issue with it. Please give a try with another drive letter, with of course an already existing directory.

You control roughness from the 'hardness' setting in the material panel (high hardness is small roughness). Because Octane gives much more precision than Blender you can't get extreme values out of the box during the export. For chrome-like materials you need to put hardness to its maximum. If this is not enough then you need to lower roughness in Octane itself after export.

Blender's intensity only multiply RGB values and - IMHO - is confusing people without any added value for the workflow. The option for using it or not doesn't work anymore with recent blender versions and this will probably be the case with final version of blender too. Unlinking this setting for diffuse and specualr would just be extra work for a temporary solution. Next version of the exporter will simply ignore intensity and will setup materials the way they have to be in Octane, not the way they should look in Blender - if this is unclear just wait for next version :-)

Cheers,
Yoyoz
yoyoz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby regionfive » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 am

regionfive Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 am
Hello,

I made it work^^ thanks yoyoz, I just understood, that you can save the ocs file and once you set up the materials in octane,
you can just relink the obj. that is very clever. that makes you very independent from the blender material settings.
the problem with the output folder was, that I also gave it a file name e.g. E:\dof\rendertest, where rendertest should have been
the name for the single pngs. That is a typical way you do it in blender, but the exporter interprets that as a folder, which is not defined/existing.
The exporter still gives me a warning. but it works anyway.

great thing. I´m a big fan of octane!!

Thanks,
René
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RainerS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:26 pm

RainerS Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:26 pm
Big thanks for the script, it works perfectly so far!
Btw, I can't seem to get materials showing on curve objects, curve object itself gets imported, but not the material on it.
Windows 7 64bit | Geforce 260GTX | 4GB
RainerS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yoyoz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:30 pm

yoyoz Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:30 pm
RainerS wrote:Big thanks for the script, it works perfectly so far!
Btw, I can't seem to get materials showing on curve objects, curve object itself gets imported, but not the material on it.

If you export curves, you can only get 'plain' materials, not textures. For that you would have to convert to mesh first.
What do you mean with the curve being exported but with no material? Is it using the same material as another object?
yoyoz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RainerS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm

RainerS Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm
yoyoz wrote:
RainerS wrote:Big thanks for the script, it works perfectly so far!

If you export curves, you can only get 'plain' materials, not textures. For that you would have to convert to mesh first.
What do you mean with the curve being exported but with no material? Is it using the same material as another object?

Sorry, I didn't clarify myself. I need the curve to grow in an animation and the only way to have the materials on the curve would be to convert it to a mesh, like you said. But I guess there is no way to convert it into a mesh after every frame automatically?
Windows 7 64bit | Geforce 260GTX | 4GB
RainerS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yoyoz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:28 pm

yoyoz Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:28 pm
You can have materials but not textures (because the mapping won't be correct). If you convert to mesh, it's once forever...
yoyoz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Headroom » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Headroom Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:40 pm
I have installed the exporter and must say it works wonderfully with stills. I have run into a problem though with an animation project.

While all the UV mapped image textures convert nicely the scene is HDRI lit in Blender. I have an HDRI (.hdr from Openfootage.net) in the world texture slot, however it does not seem to make it through the export.
I can see in the console that the octane exporters "ui_texture.py complains about:

'WorldTextureSlot' object has no attribute 'uv_layer'

The texture loads, renders (illuminates the scene) fine if I add it through the Octane interface and the render works great, however for an almost 700 frame animation doing that manually is not really an option. Am I missing something ?

Also and I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, how for example change exposure settings ? These don't seem to be available through the Blender interface and naturally apply through all frames.

Anyway, this exporter is really a wonderful piece of software and as is in this beta release VERY helpful!
Headroom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Blender