Octane for Blender Plugin: Passes and Layers

Forums: Octane for Blender Plugin: Passes and Layers
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Octane for Blender Plugin: Passes and Layers

Postby PeterLux » Wed May 14, 2014 12:41 pm

PeterLux Wed May 14, 2014 12:41 pm
Hallo together,

I've a few questions about the render passes and the usage of render layers in blender using the octane plugin:

1. Mist Pass:
Is there any way to use the mist pass at all? Usually (in cycles and blender render) you have to setup the distance and borders of the mist in the "world" panel and then the mist pass is rendered looking like a depth pass. But I couldn't find a way to do this with the mist pass of the octane plugin, the pass always shows up as completely black!?

2. Material ID Pass:
In OctaneRender sandalone the Material ID pass gives a color(ed) map of the different materials used on an object. But in the Blender Plugin the material pass is a BW-map, that's by far not as useful as the colored map.
Is there any way to get each material represented as a color in this pass like it was in the standalone version?

3. Render Layers:
An extremly useful feature of blender is, that you can save objects being in different render layers separatly in an multilayer EXR file. Means: you render a scene with objects being in different layers with an alpha channel and can afterwards choose each of them separatly from the exr file for compositing. As far as I figured out the Octane Plugin only saves the combined layer and the differend passes within the EXR.
Is there a way to do that with the plugin, that I just missed???

Thanks for evry advice
greetz
PeterLux
Win7 64Bit & ubuntu 64Bit / Intel i7 / 16GB RAM / GTX 580 3GB / blender 2.6x
PeterLux
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane for Blender Plugin: Passes and Layers

Postby kaskudo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm

kaskudo Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm
+1
kaskudo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane for Blender Plugin: Passes and Layers

Postby J.C » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:41 pm

J.C Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:41 pm
PeterLux wrote:Hallo together,

I've a few questions about the render passes and the usage of render layers in blender using the octane plugin:

1. Mist Pass:
Is there any way to use the mist pass at all? Usually (in cycles and blender render) you have to setup the distance and borders of the mist in the "world" panel and then the mist pass is rendered looking like a depth pass. But I couldn't find a way to do this with the mist pass of the octane plugin, the pass always shows up as completely black!?

To adjust this you have to use "Z-depth max" slider under "Render Passes" or under "Info-channel" kernel options.

PeterLux wrote:2. Material ID Pass:
In OctaneRender sandalone the Material ID pass gives a color(ed) map of the different materials used on an object. But in the Blender Plugin the material pass is a BW-map, that's by far not as useful as the colored map.
Is there any way to get each material represented as a color in this pass like it was in the standalone version?

This is still buggy. You can render material ID in Info-channel kernel or using Render Passes by switching "Preview pass type" to "Material id"

PeterLux wrote:3. Render Layers:
An extremly useful feature of blender is, that you can save objects being in different render layers separatly in an multilayer EXR file. Means: you render a scene with objects being in different layers with an alpha channel and can afterwards choose each of them separatly from the exr file for compositing. As far as I figured out the Octane Plugin only saves the combined layer and the differend passes within the EXR.
Is there a way to do that with the plugin, that I just missed???

I would love this automated somehow. Currently this is available in Standalone and probably in C4D plugin too.
In Blender you have to setup it manually in Compositor using OpenEXR Multilayer file output. Unfortunately some passes are not working and some are limited to one type at a time (eg. reflection) so this is quite useless until the devs will make it working 100%.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender