Can you render Blender hair animations in OR?

Forums: Can you render Blender hair animations in OR?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Can you render Blender hair animations in OR?

Postby justavisitor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 am

justavisitor Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 am
Saramary wrote:You don't need to convert any objects into hair at all, instead of this you can use PS and save memory of your computer.

Hello again, and thank you so much for your efforts and links! I'm sure this is totally easy, but I still can't seem to wrap my head around it. :)

Here's what I did:

1) I created two similar objects, A and B.

2) I applied hair to B, assuming this would be the source object. (I also checked 'Scatter' in Object Data/Octane Properties, as well as in Render/Render.)

3) Nothing happened, rendering-wise.

4) I looked at Jim's image, the one you linked to here:
download/file.php?id=25940&mode=view

5) It differed from my settings, so I changed my default 'Path'-setting in the Particles Tab to 'Object', in order to match Jim's settings.

6) Then I experimented with using either A or B in the Parent Field and in the Dupli Object Field.

7) Suddenly B - the source, not the object - was indeed rendered with some kind of structured material on it, and it didn't matter if I changed the object in the Parent Field or the Dupli Object field. But the rendered image did not look like hair at all. It looked like a... brain. :mrgreen:

8) I changed the hair settings a bit and enabled Children, using a rather low number.

9) Blender almost stopped responding and the NVIDIA driver crashed because of a 'time out'.
Later, the PC (i7-4820K, 16GB RAM, 2xTitan) crashed. I've never experienced that before.

I looked a bit more at Jim's screenshot to compare it to my settings. It turns out I don't have a Rotation Tab or a Physics Tab under Particles settings, I don't know why...
Latest OctaneRender for Blender. Windows 10, i7 quad 3.7GHz, 16GB, 2xTitan.
justavisitor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Saramary » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 am

Saramary Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 am
Could you please give me your scene?

Or you can try to do these steps:
1 Create a plane or a cube. It would be your object A and a parent-object for your PS.
2 Create a cylinder (just for a example) and scale it down. Try to do a shape similar to a stick. It would be your object B and a source-object.
3. Add PS to the object A. Change a PS type from Emitter to Hair
4. In Render settings choose Object.
5. Add your object B into Dupli Object field

At this stage you should see your object A covered with a lot of objects B which represent hair.

6. Change mesh type from General to Scatter for both object A and object B.
Win 8.1 x64, i7-4930K 64GB, 2 x GTX-690
Saramary
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby justavisitor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 am

justavisitor Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 am
Thank you very much for your help again! Now it works!

What I did wrong before was that I only changed the settings to Scatter for one of the objects. So thank you for pointing out it should be done for both.

It is still very hard on the system, however:

When I increased the Children's setting (Interpolated) to 85, the driver crashed again - while it can go well beyond 400 on a considerably more detailed object without any problems using Cycles. I also followed your procedure with my original project and it worked - but crashed immediately.

Could it be that Cycles in this isolated case perhaps is more effecient than Octane?

EDIT: And now I understand why you asked me to make the cylinder shaped like a stick! This is super interesting. So the parent simply emulates the shape of the source...
Latest OctaneRender for Blender. Windows 10, i7 quad 3.7GHz, 16GB, 2xTitan.
justavisitor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Blender