Is this in the future for Octane?

Forums: Is this in the future for Octane?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Is this in the future for Octane?

Postby DayVids » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 am

DayVids Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 am
Hey guys,

Not trying to start a flame war, or anything like that. I just this interfacing/interaction with the smallLux tool and blender, and was wondering if there was ever any sort of plan to implement this sort of functionality in Octane at this time?

I can't get it to work on my machine for the life of me, but I was wondering if I'll ever get it with Octane and Blender based on current roadmaps?

Hope everyone is well.

http://vimeo.com/14290797
CPU - i7-950 3.06 Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win7 x64, 2 display monitors, GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified. I'm glad to say I LOVE OCTANE!
DayVids
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Is this in the future for Octane?

Postby DayVids » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:17 am

DayVids Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:17 am
80 some people have looked at this comment, but no input, or info somewhere that I didn't read or something?

huh, guess I thought I'd get some more input/comments/etc...
CPU - i7-950 3.06 Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win7 x64, 2 display monitors, GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified. I'm glad to say I LOVE OCTANE!
DayVids
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby harrisyu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:41 am

harrisyu Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:41 am
Yes,for using with blender,this interaction is better,and also the material setup can be store in blender files,it is impressive.
Besides that and hardware requirement,I don't feel so much difference.
And is possible to take the materials setup back from octane file with python script,and let the interaction work inside octane.
As a programer's point of view:because it's an renderer,it needs to adapt to a lots of 3d application,so just keep the plugin interface as simple as possible,and be more flex.
I think in the future,when the exporter for 2.5+ finish(now is no the good time for that,because the python api change all the time,but I hope soon),
and have good function on store and reusing material,there will be a lot more impressive works coming out using blender(especially animation works).
I am both a blender and octane user,I hope more support for blender too.
Seven 64bit | GTX 260 896mb | Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz | 4GB DDR3
harrisyu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:06 am

matej Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:06 am
My observations:

* If the devs would implement such an integration for Blender, that means they will have to implement it for all supported 3D apps. One of Octane axioms is "modeling package agnostic", so I don't think they will favor Blender. It's all or nothing.

* Having such integration would mean: the necessity to drop Octane GUI and focus on the integrated GUI or having a lot of duplicate work on both

* I don't have any experiences with other modeling packages, but I think not all of them offer the same integration possibilities - that means different support in different packages. Considering the first point, this alone is enough reason not to do any integrations.

Ofcourse as a Blender user I would like to see that, but I think is not going to happen (anytime soon).

In the end it's better that the devs focus on building a flexible and featurefull Octane scene format, work on material features&flexibility, and try to build individual exporters that will do their best to translate data from modeling packages to Octane. I think that eventually we will get more interactiveness in Octane (manipulating objects, duplicating them with instances, etc...) so there will be less need for integration.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Proupin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Proupin Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:23 pm
The power of an integrated renderer cannot be put down just like that man...

'If the devs would implement such an integration for Blender, that means they will have to implement it for all supported 3D apps. One of Octane axioms is "modeling package agnostic", so I don't think they will favor Blender. It's all or nothing.'
Then it should be all, or at least the bigger 3 or 4... I don't care about axioms or philosofies, but what I ultimately need. An integrated Octane would be a beast.

'Having such integration would mean: the necessity to drop Octane GUI and focus on the integrated GUI or having a lot of duplicate work on both'
Too much work you mean? Tough luck. Besides, the '"eventually we will get more interactiveness in Octane (manipulating objects, duplicating them with instances, etc...)"', isn't this duplicating work already done by all modeling packages? Will Octane ever have an almost 100 years perfected GUI such as max or maya?

'I don't have any experiences with other modeling packages, but I think not all of them offer the same integration possibilities - that means different support in different packages. Considering the first point, this alone is enough reason not to do any integrations.'
Yeah that is a technical issue and not a minor one I guess, but it has been done before... that shouldn't be YOUR problem but the dev's though

'Ofcourse as a Blender user I would like to see that'
hahaha I see ;) I'd love that too

Let's see how all this develops over time. It has a looong way before this is to be considered a finished product, imo. Considering the client's opinions and general trends is never a bad idea. Spitting in the wind is. Hope we have octane for many years to come.
Win 7 64bits / Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz / Geforce GTX 470 / 8GB Ram / 3DS Max 2012 64bits
http://proupinworks.blogspot.com/
Proupin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:48 pm

matej Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:48 pm
@Proupin
I see what you mean, and I think that when Octane will be mature enough, such possibilities and demands will arise. But I think I can safely say that this is not gonna happen in the near future (<1 year). The team also lacks developers & founding to pull off such a feat in the short term. We shouldn't demand too much (atleast for now :) ). As you said; let's see how things develop over time. This probably answers the original question of the thread.

As for the GUI, Octane just needs some tools to ease last minute scene composition (moving, deleting, adding objects... cameras, etc), not a complete modelling support.

It would be nice to see some charts which are the most used packages with Octane (Max is probably the first) - because I would be pretty pissed if Blender wouldn't get into those major 3 - 4 that would get integration :| , as would users of other software. So, when the devs will plan this, they better take into account all of us, if they don't want any angry-jealous zombie hordes around... :lol:
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Proupin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Proupin Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:19 pm
I don't know blender, how are the plugins like, are they tight? As long as it has a decent Api it should be included why not...

Yeah the key here is the timing. 1 year actually is actually not that much time... i was shocked when today I realised I joined here in march, a mere 7 months ago!! and it feels like a decade...
Win 7 64bits / Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz / Geforce GTX 470 / 8GB Ram / 3DS Max 2012 64bits
http://proupinworks.blogspot.com/
Proupin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm

matej Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm
Blender has excellent plugin support - even more so in the new 2.5 version. Basically everything you can do with a mouse, you can do it with Python scripts. (the video DayVids posted shows the integration of a GPU prototype of Luxrender in 2.5)

It's more a question of how many Octane users, are Blender users (so that the devs will consider it worthwhile to work on the integration). Although, now that I think of it, a lot of amateurs, semi-professionals and professionals who have until now used opensource renderers with Blender, will consider Octane because of it's affordable price.
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:12 pm

face Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:12 pm
The problem to integrate a renderer to any 3d app is, that every app has his own structure.
All apps works different, for that you must progam 10 or more different versions.
To debug it, you must have all apps.
You must update each app if a new version is comming out.
You must have for all version two or three developers.
Maybe you can imagine the full cost.
Last, and i think thats the main criteria, how much money will you make?
It´s not clever to invest in a programm where you make minus.

I think, that are the points that some renderes work only for a handfull apps...

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Blender