Current blender 2.4 export scripts works fine on Mac OSX

Forums: Current blender 2.4 export scripts works fine on Mac OSX
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Current blender 2.4 export scripts works fine on Mac OSX

Postby radiance » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm

radiance Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm
Hi all,

Since people here say the script does'nt work on OSX, i tried it today and it works perfectly.
I did a full test, on OSX 10.6.4, including rendering with a sun direction, materials and even rendered an animation, i used the script by enrico posted here in the first post of the first thread, with no modifications.

I'll explain how to set it up on OSX:

* install blender 2.49 from the blender site (the one linked against python 2.6 for Mac OS X, on top)
* install python 2.5.1 package from the python site here: http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.1/
direct link: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/ ... macosx.dmg
* start blender and open a text window, and open the py script. (the current one from the first post in the first thread in this forum.)
* press Alt-P to start it (alternatively you can also install the script in the blender scripts directory so it will appear in the blender scripts menu)

Now you just configure it like on windows and linux, with one small difference in the way you point to the octane render binary:

* Configure the path to the mac Octane Binary. One small difference here is that you must point to the binary inside the app, so for a standard 2.2b installation type in:
/Applications/OctaneRender 1.022b beta2.2b.app/Contents/MacOS/octane (you can use the browse button to find it too)
* Configure your project path: for example: /Users/yourself/myproject (this directory must exist, and you can use the browse button to find it)
* enter your project name.

The rest all works just like in windows/linux.
One issue is that octane actually starts up behind the blender window which can be a bit annoying, and i don't really know how we can fix that. i wonder if this happens on linux too ? can anyone confirm?

See screenshots.

blendermac1.jpg

blendermac2.jpg

Good luck,
Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Re: Current blender 2.4 export scripts works fine on Mac OSX

Postby MarkS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:17 am

MarkS Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:17 am
Thanks very much for the detailed instruction. I have managed to run the script after deleting all of the Blender dot files in my home directory. I re-installed Octane and Blender from scratch.
The script works perfectly now. I have a problem with the part where I need to add the Mac binary.
The install folder/directory does not have a path as the sample directs. (/Applications/OctaneRender 1.022b beta2.2b.app/Contents/MacOS/octane)
I created something similar without the .app as that isn't a directory path?
I created /Applications/OctaneRender 1.022b beta2.2b/Contents/MacOS/octane, but it's an empty command. Is there supposed to be a directory as such with some binary file? When I hit "Render" the file gets exported but Octane does not launch.
Has something run amok?

Thanks,
MarkS
MarkS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:11 pm

radiance Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:11 pm
Hi,

On mac, an application is actually a directory (but it does'nt look that way from the finder).
In this directory there is a Contents/MacOS directory with the actuall executable in it. (which the script needs).

So from a unix point of view, you need to navigate into your octane app and then into Contents/MacOS/ and select 'octane' which is the executable.

So if you install the package for octane render 1.22b, the octane executable for the script is stored in:

/Applications/OctaneRender 1.022b beta2.2b.app/Contents/MacOS

so the full pathname of the octane executable to enter in the binary path of the script is:

/Applications/OctaneRender 1.022b beta2.2b.app/Contents/MacOS/octane

Radiance
radiance

Postby MarkS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:58 pm

MarkS Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:58 pm
Ah, Okay. I copied and pasted the path and all is working!

Thanks Very Much!
MarkS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby enricocerica » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:02 pm

enricocerica Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:02 pm
Hey, great news.
I update the main thread to point to this post for Mac configuration.

Edit:I saw that the thread is already updated ;)

Thanks Radiance.
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:10 pm

radiance Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:10 pm
enricocerica wrote:Hey, great news.
I update the main thread to point to this post for Mac configuration.

Edit:I saw that the thread is already updated ;)

Thanks Radiance.

could you add these informations to an installation document that comes with the exporter ?
(and also covers installation on the other os'es ?)

Radiance
radiance

Return to Blender