Preparing UV's for export to blender

Forums: Preparing UV's for export to blender
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Preparing UV's for export to blender

Postby constermonster » Wed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm

constermonster Wed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm
Hello, I have just started using octane and my UV's are not showing up on my textures (although the render is insanely fast and very nice looking). I have been searching the internet and these forums but I can't find a guide anywhere that describes exactly what I need to do to prepare an object, its texture, and the UV for export from blender to octane. So far all my work has been done using the blender renderer, and has not involved export to other programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
constermonster
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Preparing UV's for export to blender

Postby matej » Wed May 30, 2012 6:06 pm

matej Wed May 30, 2012 6:06 pm
Octane needs manual UV unwrapped mesh, automatic coordinate assignment (global, cube, etc..) doesn't work. A mesh needs to have an UV coordinate set, that's it.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby constermonster » Wed May 30, 2012 9:59 pm

constermonster Wed May 30, 2012 9:59 pm
thanks for the response, but I don't think that is the problem. I have already unwrapped it in blender, and applied the texture so that, for example, the blender render will show the textures in the right locations. Is there any additional procedure required to ensure the texture image is available for octane to render such as moving my texture images to a specific path, or changing the texture format?
constermonster
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FooZe » Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 pm

FooZe Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 pm
Hi constermonster,

There are a few things to check to see where the problem might be (and give me some more info so i can hopefully help).
Most or some of these you may have already done so just be patient with me please...
1) check that the textures are loaded ok with the material. In the node inspector the filename should be shown as the materials diffuse. If you have version 2.58c you can also double check the texture preview to confirm it's loaded ok.
2) check the UV's using the deep_channel_kernel, setting the type to texture co-ordinates. One axis is green, the other is red to it should render UV for 0,0 (black) to 1,1 (yellow).
If everything is black then yeah, the UV's definately aren't getting to octane.
3) double check that import image textures is on under File > preferences > OBJ Mesh Import (and related settings).
4) Double check on export from blender that you have Include UV's ticked.

If all these are ok then definately something is going on in blender. I haven't had any trouble with UV's from blender so i can let you know what i do if the above doesn't work.

Cheers
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby matej » Thu May 31, 2012 7:12 am

matej Thu May 31, 2012 7:12 am
If you see your texture properly mapped in the viewport and it's enabled for diffuse / specular etc channel, then you will get the texture properly mapped in Octane. The exporter checks for image paths and will fail if it doesnt find the files.

btw, did you use the unofficial Octane exporter or did you just export to .obj yourself?

Post some screens of the setup in Octane and setup in Blender.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby constermonster » Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm

constermonster Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm
I think I've figured it out - whenever i switch the material type to diffuse from glossy in the octane render the map is visible. I guess it must be something to do with the difference in how much light bounces of the material (too much specular?) - sorry to take your time and thank you for the fast response.
constermonster
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 am

roeland Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 am
If you try to use bump maps you should also think about the illumination. The default environment is an uniform color. If you just put an object into this environment any bump or normal mapping will be nearly invisible. To make a bump map stand out, add some illumination with emitters or change the environment to something less uniform (daylight environment, or an HDR image map).

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Blender