Error in Render-server at address "###.#.#.#"

Forums: Error in Render-server at address "###.#.#.#"
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Error in Render-server at address "###.#.#.#"

Postby Berube » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Berube Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:36 pm
Hello everyone,

I keep running into this item where Octane just seems to un-hook. Loosing connection with a render server.

Is this how Octane is calling a crash? If it is some sort of connection to a render server, I would assume the server is my local machine? I'm not sure I understand how the connection is lost.

Is there a way to continue a render after re-establishing connection, i.e. re-starting the Octane Server?

This makes Octane very unreliable here. I keep running into this and it seems very random, and not calculation intensity related.

-Berube

http://www.johnberube.com

A. MacOS BigSur 11.6
B. AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB
C. 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
D. N/A
G. Octane PR11.22.3 Blender
Berube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Error in Render-server at address "###.#.#.#"

Postby linograndiotoy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:07 pm

linograndiotoy Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:07 pm
In which situations does it happen? Do you have content and steps to reproduce the problem?
By the way, in this situation, you should be able to close and restart the Server without losing any of your work.
Sometimes the icon is not there, but the "crashed" server could still be running in background.
You can check that from the Task Manager and eventually kill the process.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Berube » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:39 pm

Berube Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:39 pm
Hello Lino,

Thank you for your reply.

It has been very random. Sometimes I'm in the node shading graph plugging away and poof, connection lost.
Sometimes it's right in the middle of a "Render Image" process. It will just stop calculating saying it lost connection to the server.

This is not leading me to loose any work on the Blender side, though the render must be restarted.
So in the case I am trying to render a heavy scene which takes a few hours, the render must be restarted from scratch.
This becomes a big deal for over night sequence renders. We consider ourselves lucky when a job goes through without facing this issue.

It does not seem to be memory related. Maybe it's an OSX security thing where connections/leases are renewed and if this takes place in the middle of a calculation it looses the connection?

This is happening a lot. Like, every-time I use Octane. It's a given it will happen. And this has been the case with all PR releases. No changes, improvements or differences.

I'm not sure I understand why Octane needs to connect to a server. Is this a licensing item? Or some of the calculations are sent somewhere? I see the "Transferring data to render server" every time I render.
I'm running everything local here, no farm or anything. Is there a different license server install for local rendering? Seems like there is a ping loop that is out of synch or something.

More than happy to help in any ways I can to resolve this one. It's a big one for us.

Currently on Big Sur 11.6 Running Blender PR11.23

Thanks a bunch!

-Berube

Director | Senior VFX Art Director
www.johnberube.com

A. MacOS BigSur 11.6
B. AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB
C. 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
D. N/A
G. Octane PR11.22.3 Blender
Berube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:41 pm

protovu Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:41 pm
I too experience random Octane disengagement. Very random and challenging.

Example:
1850 frame overnight render - smooth as silk. (Surprised me).

A few tweaks, nothing that complicated, just refining, and 2 hours into a render a crash.
Then a reboot, and restart. Same thing in the middle of the night.
This morning, 100 frames in, server stopped. Starting again.

Sometimes the render just freezes.
Sometimes, Blender and the Server have both shut down.
Sometimes, I find a half-rendered frame.

This computer:
amd5090X ryzen
2 3080 rtx
128 ram
win 10
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm

protovu Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm
Further to my example in the previous.

Last night, same large render, all the way through. Terrific.

Today, after a few tweaks - 90 frames into a render, both Blender and Octane stopped.

Of the final 2 rendered frames: one is a blank image, 3,607 kb in size - matching the other rendered frames, and the other 0kb. Each of these frames gives an invalid header error when opening.

Of the final 3 rendered frames: the first, even though there is an image preview, I get an image i/o error when trying to open it.
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender