Octane Render for SketchUp 3.08.0.11 Test Release

Forums: Octane Render for SketchUp 3.08.0.11 Test Release
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: Octane Render for SketchUp 3.08.0.11 Test Release

Postby CaptainCrowbar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:21 am

CaptainCrowbar Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:21 am
johlanga wrote:I think that if i chose a link path to my texture folder/structure it should not be modified by the plug-in and cram every texture in one temp folder. This are also a problem when exporting to standalone I have to relink every texture

This was a basic design decision in the current version of the plugin: all texture images are copied into the plugin's working space so they can be saved as part of the SKP file. This was based on user feedback from earlier (2.x) releases: a common complaint was the inability to move an SKP file that included an Octane version of the model to a different computer without losing the texture information, unless you carefully copied all the temporary texture folders generated by the plugin into the correct places. We do realise that this often creates very large save files as an unavoidable side effect, but there's really no way around it if we want portable SKP-with-Octane files. We may add an option to allow users who are aware of the consequences to disable this behaviour; the save file would then remember only the local path to a texture file instead of copying the actual file, which if I understand correctly is what you would prefer.

Thanks for the extra information about your other issues; I'm looking into these.
CaptainCrowbar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Octane Render for SketchUp 3.08.0.11 Test Release

Postby _qmvc3WkfIhgYS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am

_qmvc3WkfIhgYS Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am
This was a basic design decision in the current version of the plugin: all texture images are copied into the plugin's working space so they can be saved as part of the SKP file. This was based on user feedback from earlier (2.x) releases: a common complaint was the inability to move an SKP file that included an Octane version of the model to a different computer without losing the texture information, unless you carefully copied all the temporary texture folders generated by the plugin into the correct places. We do realise that this often creates very large save files as an unavoidable side effect, but there's really no way around it if we want portable SKP-with-Octane files. We may add an option to allow users who are aware of the consequences to disable this behaviour; the save file would then remember only the local path to a texture file instead of copying the actual file, which if I understand correctly is what you would prefer.

Thanks for the extra information about your other issues; I'm looking into these.

Captain,

I was one that came with that feedback. Would it be possible that only the automatically genereted textures could be placed inside the skp file, and the textures we use in our library are still external? The previous versions worked great, except for the generated textures. Otherwise if we could control a file location for automatically generated files then we could move this files to a library on our server and that way access them from all workstations.

One issue I have with the generated textures is that Octane should use rgb colors and not generate textures when a plain Sketchup material (without texture) is converted, can that be done?
_qmvc3WkfIhgYS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to SketchUp