UV coordinates for bump maps?

Forums: UV coordinates for bump maps?
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

UV coordinates for bump maps?

Postby Sheiken » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Sheiken Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:47 pm
How do you apply a bump map to the same UV position as the diffuse map? If I add a bump it is not applied to the same UV, and I have now copied the UV scaling line by like to get my bump to line up with the diffusemap.
If I convert the material to a mix material I loose all the UV coordinates...

Why does Octane not just assume I will use the same UV coordinaters for all maps, as positioned in SketchUp?

In general setting up materilas is now significantyly more time consuming than is SU2Maxwell or SU2VRay (and probably most other plugins). The other plugins have the "materials conversion wizards" that are enough to do the job for 95% of all material settings (for me). For a semigloss vaner in SU2Maxwell I just click varnished-semigloss-slide the bump setting to a bit above 0 (it will use the diffusemap as bump if nothis else is defined). This would take me 5 seconds. In SU2Octane I have to build a mix material and apply the UV map coordinates in at least four locations (* rotation+ x +y)... 5 minutes is not enough... Just scrolling thru the dropdowns takes minutes...
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: UV coordinates for bump maps?

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm

bepeg4d Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm
Hi Sheiken,
you don’t need to use a mix material for applying the bump map.
Just use the Expand command in the node inspector, firstly to the diffuse texture, than to the projection or uv transform node:
77E957F6-3AE4-4B2A-A760-A6B6AA610A11.jpeg

in this way you can share the same uv transform or projection node with different image maps.
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: UV coordinates for bump maps?

Postby Sheiken » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Sheiken Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:49 pm
Thank you Beppe,
Didn't know about that Expand command. The node editor suddenly makes a lot more sence! There are not a lot of nodes visible by default after exporting from the SketchUp plugin...
Would it be possible to show all exported bitmaps and their UV nodes by default?

I know I do not need a mix material for the bump. I am trying to figure out if I need a mix material for creating a realistic laquered surface (as I do in Maxwell).
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66201
After several years of waiting the plugin is finally getting to a point where it makes sence to start lerning how to setup materials...
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp