Octane questions before buying

Forums: Octane questions before buying
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Octane questions before buying

Postby patseguin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:43 am

patseguin Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:43 am
I downloaded the demo version and it seems nice but I have questions.

I am using the SketchUp 2016 plugin.

First of all, the whole UI becomes totally unresponsive sometimes. I open the render window or materials window and it is just white. I have to close them a bunch of times before anything displays. Then, other times the render window stops updating in real time. Also, if I ever click the Apply button on a material, it locks up and I have to force close Sketchup. Can anyone help me understand what the issue might be? I don't want to buy the product if it is not going to function properly or crash a lot. I am using Windows 10 x64 and 2x nVidia 670's in SLI.

I made a test scene and have a wood plank floor texture. In sketchup I used the position texture feature to make the planks larger. However, when I convert the texture to an Octane material, it only renders at the original tiny size. How can I get the resized texture properly rendering Octane?
patseguin

Re: Octane questions before buying

Postby fivebythree » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 am

fivebythree Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 am
Hey there, welcome.

I find when Octane hangs, it has trouble compiling the scene. That's where proxies are handy. BUT* if its just a small scene, always save your sketchup files first, restart the program or restart your computer. Its a matter of video memory usually. I try not to run many other gpu intensive apps simultaneously.

The texture 'scale' is based on the Octane texture scale, you can adjust that by opening your octane material pane, selecting the diffuse texture panel, rotating down the panel, and scrolling to the bottom of the options. Its a matter of adjusting the second uv grouping. I'd like to show you exactly, but I don't really access the plugin at home anymore. I'll append this when I have a chance tomorrow.

Good luck!
STANDALONE WINDOWS10PRO | RTX3090 | XEON 4210 20 CORE | 96GBRam
fivebythree
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane questions before buying

Postby azen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:52 pm

azen Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:52 pm
patseguin wrote:I downloaded the demo version and it seems nice but I have questions.

I am using the SketchUp 2016 plugin.

First of all, the whole UI becomes totally unresponsive sometimes. I open the render window or materials window and it is just white. I have to close them a bunch of times before anything displays. Then, other times the render window stops updating in real time. Also, if I ever click the Apply button on a material, it locks up and I have to force close Sketchup. Can anyone help me understand what the issue might be? I don't want to buy the product if it is not going to function properly or crash a lot. I am using Windows 10 x64 and 2x nVidia 670's in SLI.

I made a test scene and have a wood plank floor texture. In sketchup I used the position texture feature to make the planks larger. However, when I convert the texture to an Octane material, it only renders at the original tiny size. How can I get the resized texture properly rendering Octane?

Hi,

You will need to disable SLI when using Octane. We do not support SLI, since this weakens multi-GPU performance and causes many issues.

Let me know how the demo operates without SLI, and any issues you still have.
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to SketchUp