1. When I hit the node editor (before Render) the default view is not active. Please make it active right after the node editor is opened. - See the screenshot
2. For an empty SU scene lets make the starting node structure with the empty 'Layer 0' geometry node and the default view render target attached. - See the screenshot
3. Remove any material maps from the node editor - these are useful only in very specific cases that can be handled manually. They introduce mess at first stage. Only mesh+render target nodes are necessary.
4. When any group or component is created let's make it's node name after the group or the component name. But no scatter node for a single group or component. See the screenshot
5. When the are any copies of a component/or group then the scatter node is necessary - see the screenshot.
6. When any new layer is created let's make a respective group named after a layer - see the screenshot
7. Whatever is moved to Layer1 will be inside the group named 'layer1'