Viewport manipulating problem

Forums: Viewport manipulating problem
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Viewport manipulating problem

Postby msciwiarski » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 pm

msciwiarski Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 pm
Hi all,

I have a problem with object manipulating in viewport after export from Sketchup..
After exporting from MAX 2010 horizontal rotation is not a problem
After export from Sketchup horizontal rotation is very frustrating.
There is a sample video below:

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/Octane_export.wmv

Maybe someone will show me what I am doing wrong?

Cheers

Michal
Hardware: Core2Quad Q9650, Asus P5Q Deluxe, GeForce GTX580
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Sketchup 8, Blender 2.56, Octane 2.4
msciwiarski
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Viewport manipulating problem

Postby TIG » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:25 am

TIG Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:25 am
Without seeing the original models it's a guess...
Is the models origin in the same place in both exported versions.
if the Sketchup SKP's origin isn't somewhere sensible within the objects exported then when you orbit Octane's camera around it you will get odd behavior.
Don't 'relocate the axes' in the SKP - the exporter uses the base-origin.
If necessary switch on the axes, 'reset' them to the base-origin if necessary, switch all objects/layers visible and move the entire model so that the base-origin [crossing of th RGB XYZ axes] is somewhere within the whole lot...
This might help...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby msciwiarski » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:56 pm

msciwiarski Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:56 pm
Hi TIG,

Thanks for the reply...

I've made a simple steps with this scene:
1. I've created this object in Sketchup
2. I've exported the object to 3ds file for MAX
3. I've imported the scene to the MAX
4. I've made an export to Octane from MAX and from Sketchup using Octane plug-ins.
I haven't changed anything in Sketchup before an export (axes and other settings) I've just created a simple cube, that's all..

This problem disappears when I manually re-import created OBJ file to the new Octane project.

Another question:

Is it normal, that texture scale after export from SU to Octane doesn't the same as in Sketchup?
This is a floor texture mapping in Sketchup:

This is texture mapping in Octane:

Cheers

Michal
Hardware: Core2Quad Q9650, Asus P5Q Deluxe, GeForce GTX580
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Sketchup 8, Blender 2.56, Octane 2.4
msciwiarski
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:28 pm

TIG Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:28 pm
Michal

Where is the 'origin' [the in-built axes crossing point at [0,0,0]] in the original SKP, relative to the exported geometry? It might have got relocated on the 3DS import/export... Compare where it is in both models...
If you 'default the camera' in the SKP-exported OCS and 3DS-exported OCS does it default to the exact same view??
I assume you are using Octane v1.2.3b rather than v1.2.2 - which the current Sketchup Exporter is written for - although this should general work there have been some unexplained issues with exported/imported cameras which have not been resolved...

Textured materials applied to faces should transfer with their UV mapping intact - e.g. a rotation or a simple scaling [Note that as explained in the Help PDF it excludes textured materials with 'skewed' mapping, which should always be 'made_unique' in the SKP before exporting].
IF you have applied a textured material to a Group or Component-Instance the mapping of the texture can become lost/defaulted; therefore it is best to apply textured materials onto the faces within a group rather than onto the group itself... Clearly with untextured materials this limitation doesn't apply as there is no texture 'mapping' to mess up... Can you elaborate on this wooden floor material and how you have used it...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby davistalexander » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:40 pm

davistalexander Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:40 pm
i have this problem also, it used to work. that it stopped ,, i have tried relocating to the center of the axis, come to think about it it stoppen when installed the last sketchup plug 1022-12.. and i can figure out what i had installed...
Davis
Win7/64 |MSI GeForce 275 Twin Frozr| Core 1720 2.4 GHz | 6GB
davistalexander
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:10 pm

TIG Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:10 pm
davistalexander wrote:i have this problem also, it used to work. that it stopped ,, i have tried relocating to the center of the axis, come to think about it it stoppen when installed the last sketchup plug 1022-12.. and i can figure out what i had installed...
Davis

Nothing major changed with v.1022-12 so it shouldn't have any significant affect - the changes were to do with lingvo files and separate add on tools like FixReversedFaceMaterials.rb...
You can try changing back to an earlier version of v.1022 but I suspect it might be a change of Octane itself causing these problems... 1022 is for that version of Octane... whilst it shouldn't mess up with Octane 1023 it might :?
If you do manage to get a version of the exporter that works without faults them p_l_e_a_s_e let me know as we need to resolve this rarely reported issue...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby davistalexander » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:12 pm

davistalexander Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:12 pm
problem solved by deleting old files and restarting!
also problem of missing .cmd solved by creating a new project folder....
Win7/64 |MSI GeForce 275 Twin Frozr| Core 1720 2.4 GHz | 6GB
davistalexander
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp