Licensing Question

Forums: Licensing Question
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Licensing Question

Postby skavan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:17 am

skavan Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:17 am
Hi,

I use Sketchup from 3 different PC's (one machine at work, one at home and a laptop).
I never use them at the same time.
How do I use Octane Render in this setup?

(I have bought one Octane license, and a sketchup plugin license too).

Thanks.
skavan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Licensing Question

Postby smicha » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:01 am

smicha Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:01 am
Login into your panel on this website, go to 'OctaneLive Accounts' tab and deactivate currently used licence. Wait 1 hour and activate it on another computer.

'Please use the username and password from an OctaneLive license to activate it on a computer. Once the license is activated, it cannot be used on another machine until it is deactivated. You can deactivate a license in the OctaneLive account preference panel of the software, or in this customer area. You may use only one license at a time on one machine, and you must wait one hour between deactivating and reactivating a license between machines.'
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby skavan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:15 pm

skavan Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:15 pm
"Wait 1 hour and activate it on another computer."

That doesn't work for me. I would have to remember to always deactivate my account from teh computer I *was* using, and there is more to my daily activity than Octane (:. That means, in real life, if I decide to use Octane on Computer #2 I effectively have to wait an hour before I can use it. This is daft.

That means, seeming, the only way I can actually, effectively, use Octane (even though I am one person, using one instance) is to buy another license.

Do I need to buy one additional plugin license AND one additional octane license? (and potentially two).

I have to say, in 2015, this is a really poor system...autodesk's license server system (and v-ray's) is so much more friendly. Sketchup's IP based system is also so much more friendly. Thea's license based system similarly.

In any event, since I am now captive to the Octane system, I have no choice - what exactly do I have to buy?
skavan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hellguy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 pm

hellguy Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 pm
The license server limits you to one re-activation per hour (for each license).

So, if the license had been previously activated within an hour of the re-activation attempt, the license will not activate.
(So the first time you deactivate the license, you can re-activate it immediately)

Please note that all plugins require an activated OctaneRender Standalone license on the machine to function,
so you will need to transfer the Standalone license as well.
hellguy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby skavan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:21 am

skavan Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:21 am
What a palaver. :(

Can't see why it can't be like autodesk or vray...you have a license server running somewhere. You check out a license. You are done. You return the license, you can check it out elsewhere.

I would think I'm licensing the right to use Octane Render not licensing the right to use a PC and jumping through hoops to switch from machine to machine.
skavan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby clausgs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:02 am

clausgs Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:02 am
Fully agree,,, the licence must be more fast and flexible to use,,, I use octane on both my laptop and on my desktop, could be with in the same day....
Even better,,, let the user submit up to 3 different computers to use it on,,, but the user can only use it at 1 computer at the time.
Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, WIN 7 64bit.
clausgs
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp