1. I organize my models into many groups and components, but when i export the models i get this with many instances, is there a way to organize it with just materials where the whole model is export as 1 obj file? (pls see screenshot)
2. geometries/materials often dont sync up with octane viewport after hide/unhide, cut/paste several times
3. material with texture does not sync up with octane viewport when i change rgb/hsl values within sketchup's material editor.
4. stability issue, both sketchup and octane 2.0 crashes way more often compared to version 1.2(where i am coming from) see screenshot. Also sketchup seem to run much slower with the octane viewport active sometimes
5. Material editor for octane within sketchup is a pain to use (text too small, parameters missing), I understand that it is said that octane standalone is a compliment and i am suppose to edit materials there but isn't now i have to go back and forth between sketchup and octane render, which defeats the purpose of the plugin of not having to go back and forth.
6. Cannot use octane sun with the plugin? it's very hard to tweak the sun's position with sketchup or the plugin (no turbidity, latitude...etc). I consider sun position one of the most important factor in tweaking my renders
7. no localDB with the plugin?
It's not a bug, it is how geometry and groups are stored inside SketchUp plugin. It might be hard to navigate when you have a lot of components so I recommend exploding geometry to a single mesh and then export it .ocs
Could you please provide test scene? I'll try to track the bug
SketchUp materials or Octane Materials? Again, test scene would be nice
It's a first open-beta release so some issues with stability are expected. We'll track it down if you help us reproduce actions to crash it.
As for the SU speed, how many GPUs do you have? Both Octane and Sketchup use GPU for rendering so that might be the cause if slowdown.
I'm still experimenting with materials editor. Octane Material system is very flexible and not that easy display in a clean way. And as for parameters, could you please tell which are missing?
It seemed to work. Tried on different machine and testers had no problems with it. Could you please double-check?
Octane Material. What I mean is that I cannot adjust the color of a material that has texture in it using sketchup's material editor. If you refer to the screenshot below (same model), I want to adjust the blue farbric of the chair into red, in the past with 1.2 I can just use the slider in sketchup's material editor and export octane standalone using TIG's exporter the color change shows, but now I can't seem to do that
Made a small ruby script that allows you to change all colorized textures to non colorized textures within your model.
Needs improvement but can solve your issue until Octane support it.
Published it here
1. Do you mean I have explode everything in the sketchup model into a single mesh? This would not work for me as once geometries are exploded it is very hard to edit it afterwards. For now I use TIG's exporter and it worked fine and I don't need to explode the model, but then it's slow in exporting. Is there a way to export the model in similar fashion of that of TIG's exporter with the in plugin? just an exporter same as TIG's exporter but faster would be great
2. I'll attach the scene here, pls download via the dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/s/29117ywvvgf52x9/3F%20SU7.skp but then this problem occurs on every model I work on (just hide/unhide or cut/paste in paste several times in and out of groups and it gets out of sync) (sometimes the octane material editor comes up and nothing shows up, sometimes I download a material and nothing shows up and yes I waited for quite a while)
3. Octane Material. What I mean is that I cannot adjust the color of a material that has texture in it using sketchup's material editor. If you refer to the screenshot below (same model), I want to adjust the blue farbric of the chair into red, in the past with 1.2 I can just use the slider in sketchup's material editor and export octane standalone using TIG's exporter the color change shows, but now I can't seem to do that
4. I have 2 GPU, 1 for octane alone and 1 for display. The scene i uploaded when i export to octane standalone using new sketchup plugin and work on it for a while it crashes 100% don't know why.
5.1 Is there no way to lock the view like in octane standalone? what if I moved accidentally and I need to re-render again
5.2 I think the UI is very hard to navigate and make adjustment. Say I want to adjust the lighting of a material I need to adjust the environmental light or a spotlight I need to open the material editor or viewport, expand the pop-up menu, then scroll down or expand the window because it window is not large enough, then expand some more (too many levels), and adjust it(and is it a slider or a input field? if I click near the text it's a input field, if i click further it's a slider..kind of confusing)..once I make the adjustment I cannot see it because the menu blocks it so I need to collapse it to see it, and if I am not happy with the result I need to repeat whole process of expanding/collasping windows again. Moreover the UI is not very legible, it's either the text being too small or the color (contrast between grey text and grey background, in octane standalone(dark grey/white) it's nice and clear)
5.3 I would like to use Octane's sun/sky instead of sketchup's sun(sketchup sun is crap, to hard to control it's position..) And where is the shadow's dialog to control turbidity?
5.4 How to I add IES light?
5.5 How do I 'lock' image ratio, near field clipping parameter, hot pixel removal...the list goes on
7. Where is the local DB located? is it me I just can't find it
Am I doing something wrong, or is there a better workflow? or do I need to change my existing workflow and modeling style? Please let me know.
Yup. But you can Ctrl-Z explosion or save scene before being exploded.
Also, check the link that resmas gave in the prev post, very useful.
What do you mean by Local DB?
LiveDB materials that have been downloaded won't take any time to download next time when you click "Download" button.
After the plugin:
I try not to use the layer 0 as it merge the lines. now when im drawing/modeling a wall im on layer "wall" an then all lines and faces are inside layer "wall" and the pavement is in layer "ground". This way when I turn the layer "wall" off no intersection is made with the ground because they don't share lines.
oscartung wrote:Thank you everyone very much for the response to my questions, my response are as follows.
Ack layers...I thought sketchup I can just forget about layers and use groups and components instead, but I still don't understand the point of putting it in different layers. FYI I never use sketchup for 'large project', I always break a large project into smaller scene, try working on a sketchup project file over 200mb or use layout with over 20 pages and you will be up for a very painful experience.
My main concern is a solution to edit material, lights, and environment conveniently and in an organized fashion since I spent 90% of the time doing just that in rendering stage. I want to be able to adjust ies look, light power, material color and mapping, gamma, sun position size....comfortably. Apparently now I am faced with problems like too many pull down menus/expand-collaspe, material don't sync up if I use the plugin alone for the render.
I will be very interested to hear how you edit and fine-tune your materials for your scene. Thank you for your time
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest