Octane Sketchup Exporter - Full 1022-12

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter - Full 1022-12
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Octane Sketchup Exporter - Full 1022-12

Postby TIG » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am

TIG Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am
Here's version 1022-12
Octane_1022-12.zip
(516.39 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
A short delay has been added on the PC, between making the two .cmd files, so the second one should now always find the first one to 'run'.
This is to address a rare reported glitch on Win7 where 'start.cmd' might occasionally fail because it's not finding its 'octane.cmd' file, although it does clearly exist in the same folder and will it run properly when double-clicked.
I suspect that the system isn't 'registering' the first .cmd file quickly enough for the second .cmd file to find it and run it... Hopefully this almost imperceptible short delay in proceedings will let the system sort itself out and avoid the hiccup...

All users are advised to upgrade to this version.

Feedback please...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter - Full 1022-12

Postby timbarnes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 am

timbarnes Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 am
Tried it once: it seems to work for me...

Thanks,
tim
Mac Pro 3,1 / Lion / 14G RAM / ATI HD 2600 / nVidia GTX 470
i5-750 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit / 8G RAM / Quadro FX 580
Revit 2011, SketchUp 8, Rhino
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:16 am

TIG Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:16 am
Good - obviously you'll still feedback any glitches that crop up...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timbarnes » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:21 am

timbarnes Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:21 am
Will do. I think it's probably me, but I haven't been able to get a workflow going where I save the .ocs file and tweak the model then output again using the same file. I always seem to lose the material settings (it's most obvious with the specular materials).

I don't know if it's me or the plugin, however, as I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.

My intended workflow is this:
  • Develop a model in SketchUp and save it
  • Run the plugin
  • Set up materials etc. and do a render or two
  • Save the project file
  • Close Octane
  • Go back and modify the model
  • Re-run "Render Frame" (with the same project specified)
  • Expect all the material and lighting etc. settings to be the same as when I last rendered.
Is that the right workflow?

Also, would it be possible to output cut sections? At present if I'm not mistaken, section cuts are completely ignored.

Regards,
tim
Mac Pro 3,1 / Lion / 14G RAM / ATI HD 2600 / nVidia GTX 470
i5-750 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit / 8G RAM / Quadro FX 580
Revit 2011, SketchUp 8, Rhino
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bmneu » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:37 am

bmneu Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:37 am
I agree with above. I was actually just on here finding out how to do cut sections as it is in my opinion unbelievably important to have section perspectives and therefore, renderable. The only workaround I have found is to explode my model, make a plane (rectangle) group it to not interfere while moving, move it to the correct location, explode the plane, right click and intersect with model then delete everything on the side of the plane I do not want. This is, of course, not ideal....but it works (after much much extra time to get right). Please fix this as in huge and complex models, sketchup doesn't like you doing this......at all. It hates you actually.

Similarly, I have recently posted about the materials dissapearing when I change views inside sketchup but the same model and upload that to my ocs. The model uploads, but the view stays the old one to which the ocs was made originally. It seems the views from sketchup are hardwired to the ocs and not the obj. It would be helpful if it was the other way around.

If your view is staying the same, but you changed something and need to rerender, open up your ocs and click the obj node in the graph editor, and to the right in the node editor scroll all the way to the bottom and click the floppy (we still use those!?) icon, then find your obj. It should load the most current verson, but will, like I said, not include a new view if that is what you were going for. Materials will be kept in tact though.
Core i7 X980 3.33GHz
12 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 480
bmneu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 am

TIG Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 am
Sections:

You cannot export section-cuts.
There is no exporter or renderer available that can do this.
A section-cut is a graphics 'trick' in Sketchup that changes the way the model is displayed but not its physical contents.
This cannot therefore be exported.
An exporter exports data from the SKP.
Even if Octane itself were to add a 'sectioning' option it would not be straightforward to export the section-plane from the SKP - as the Sketchup API is scant on section-plane methods - like finding which one is active! Assuming that Octane gets a cmd-line addressable sectioning capability in the future, then I can think of some 'tricks' to add one 'plane_component' that would export appropriately, which Octane would then take as its section-plane... but this is a 'pipe-dream' as there are currently no such capabilities in Octane...
There are ways of slicing the SKP model with a section-cut and then adding a face to it, then physically cutting the model along that section-plane and erasing one half of it [you should of course work on a copy of the SKP!]. This are not unlike your way of doing it 'longhand' but automate some of the processes.
The PDFs explaining the process and links to the two scripts needed are here http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 04#p184604

Export Workflow:

The process that should be...

1 model_skp>save_skp>export>render>adjust_ocs_settings>re-render>...>save_ocs>close_ocs

You adjust material settings and save - they are remembered with the ocs file.

then...
2 change_model_skp>save_skp>re-export>render>adjust_ocs_settings>re-render>...>save_ocs>close_ocs

Tim's workflow should therefore run as expected, provided things are saved to the right places and the appropriate boxes are ticked on the exporter etc.
On doing part '2' any changes to geometry/visible_layers, and any new materials [new names] etc will be reflected in the exported/rendered data.
Existing materials in the ocs should not change when re-rendered [the Octane options should be much as those in the dialog screen-shot attached below].
If you have changed the texture_file [same name] used for an image that will be reflected in there-rendered ocs as the image_file is reexported every time..

This 'changing of materials' is an Octane issue not an Exporter one per se: the exporter simply exports 'everything' available and Octane sorts out what it will and won't do with the data. For example - currently the exporter includes the materials' transparency in the data, but Octane always chooses to ignore that and on a first import of that material, and it uses 'opaque' for all... and you must then adjust the material in the ocs and save it. However, subsequent re-exports and renders using the same named material should keep the materials' transparency as last set in the ocs and ignore the current skp's value as ever.

If you change your SKP's viewpoint or the active Scene tab in Sketchup and re-export you must have the appropriate export_camera box ticked - and the required camera selected off the list - either 'current_view', 'current_tab' [which might not be the same thing] or a tab 'by_name'. If the box is ticked the cmd used to run Octane includes that camera's data. Similarly other settings like 'lighting' might need setting as desired.
Renaming the project or its project_folder, or saving the project's ocs file to a different location will effectively ignore earlier versions and start again from scratch.
If you do not have some export settings ticked [like camera or lighting] then the ocs will render using the last settings you gave it [like the view or lighting]...

If you want to re-export and render then please remember that if the project's ocs is currently open you must close it [saving it if desired] before running the exporter - otherwise Octane may have trouble... the ocs file is 'already in use' and can't be overwritten by a second cmd, and opened as expected etc. Perhaps this is the simple factor in your problem ?

Hope this helps - any further clarifications, please ask...
Options.png
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby redmotion » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 pm

redmotion Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 pm
When I export from Sketchup the resolution doesn't get set correctly.

Is there a work around for this?
win 7 64 | q6600 | 4gb ram | gtx 260 [196] | driver nvidia 197.13 | SketchUp7 | Softimage 2010
win 7 64 | i5-2500k | 16gb | gtx 570 | driver 275.33 | SketchUp8 Pro
redmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:33 pm

TIG Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:33 pm
redmotion wrote:When I export from Sketchup the resolution doesn't get set correctly.
Is there a work around for this?

If you have set the Resolution in the Exporter's dialog and have the appropriate options 'ticked' to be included in the 'Export Configuration - Film' settings then it should be taken into 'Octane Render' OK and use that as the image size it starts rendering.
This has always worked fine for me...
Note how you must 'Reset' the Resolution from the drop-down list to revert back to the screen's original 'full-size' values - so if you take it initially as 50% it'll render at 'half-size' but if you then do another 25% it's now a quarter of what you have just set it to - not a quarter of the original full-size. To make it a quarter of the original full-size first use 'Reset' then take 25% of that.
Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do - perhaps post a screen shot of the dialog as you have it set just before you press 'Render Frame' :?
I've attached my working settings and renders...
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture0.PNG
Capture1.PNG
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby redmotion » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:15 pm

redmotion Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:15 pm
Thanks for the reply TIG.

I tried again this morning, this time deleting the ocs, obj and mtl files. And resolution export seemed to work.

I'm guessing because an OCS already existed in the folder with the same name, it wasn't overwriting it?

EDIT: What I don't understand is how I can export a model and have it hook up in an existing OCS file. I thought I had it but now Octane is giving an "Assertion failed" error! I press "ignore" and it loads in but I still have to connect up the material nodes again.
win 7 64 | q6600 | 4gb ram | gtx 260 [196] | driver nvidia 197.13 | SketchUp7 | Softimage 2010
win 7 64 | i5-2500k | 16gb | gtx 570 | driver 275.33 | SketchUp8 Pro
redmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:16 pm

TIG Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:16 pm
The use of an existing OCS should work the same way and take on board the updated Resolution etc... :?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to SketchUp