Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta t [superseded]

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta t [superseded]
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta t

Postby TIG » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm

TIG Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm
Good news :D

Currently it doesn't export a 'normalized' vector for 'UP' - just the basic 'up' vector that the camera returns with the API.... but it could - is this likely to be the issue ? I'll normalize that vector anyway in the next update. ;)

You are still getting that js error ??? I thought this was caused by the 'slider' widgets - obviously not, but at least they are now hard-coded: no one else reports this error now ? I'll look and see if there's anything reported by others a using web-dialogs - something I can add into the 'header' to 'calm' such js errors etc........

In SUp png files can have 'transparency' [alpha]... I can look at the possibility of using this into the OBJ etc... once we get everything else working first...........
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:58 am

radiance Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:58 am
Hi,

I have just investigated and the reason why the panning is not correct in octane is because you're up vector you done to octane via the command line arguments is not normalized, and it's small:

--cam-up-x 0.00666407025202371 --cam-up-y 0.024198642557673 --cam-up-z 0.003895621393574

when i normalize this, the camera panning works %100 normal.

we will add in the next 2.3 an automatic normalize of it during scene startup in octane,
but for now you will have to do it in your exporter as 2.3 is not here yet.

can you fix this as it's a very annoying bug that makes the exporter very unfriendly to use, once you're trying to pan in octane.
you also need to normalize the motion up vector if using camera motion blur.

I will also write in the other forums that everyone needs to do this.

Thnx,
Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby TIG » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:29 am

TIG Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:29 am
The 'up' vector IS already normalized by SUp's API - when you use 'vector.normalize' on it it is unchanged.

BUT, I have got to the bottom of this - it's my error :oops:
I convert the XYZ values from SUp's inches into meters in the code, so that the camera details of a point3d like 'pos' are in the right units for Octane. I had inadvertently also included that conversion for the XYZ values of the 'up' vector - but it's NOT a point3d - it is already a normalized vector - this made the 'up' vector's XYZ values much smaller than they should be !

I have now fixed all of that 'up' code and it'll be posted shortly as beta.u.

That update will also include some code changes to try and circumvent this js error you are still getting - I discovered what I think is doing it - some browsers don't like a child process to try and change its parent before it's all fully loaded - in the case of the sliders' js it looks at the value in the associated text-box and updates the slider OR gets the value of the slider and updates the text-box - so they are always in step. However, to get the dialogs to format properly a text-box and its slider are inside separate table sections. If one tries to modify the other on the page's load your js/browser settings throw an error message as a child is modifying its parent [mine has never given an error though ???]. So now the new approach is that one only updates the other if their values differ - and on first load they should be the same anyway. Please try it and feedback on this - if this fix doesn't work then at least I think I have the cause that must have another solution somewhere... It could also be associated with the way SUp 'populates' a web-dialog - let's see how this fix works...

Another minor change is that the main dialog now closes/deactivates tidily when you cancel it with the X button top-right [previously it had closed the dialog but it had left the Octane Render 'tool' shown as activate in the File menu]...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:43 am

radiance Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:43 am
I think, just for as a safety net, do a normalize on it just before you use it as the octane params, both for camera up and motion camera up and sundir, just to be sure.
i've already added these in octane during init (when parsing the command line arguments), but these will only be in 2.3, so it's best if you do this now in your exporter, for those 2 vectors,
as a safety net.
even if you fix the issue, normalizing is always a good idea as you're sure it will be %100 ;)

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby TIG » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:37 pm

TIG Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:37 pm
It is doubly normalized in beta.u !
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous