Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta o [superseded]

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta o [superseded]
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta o

Postby TIG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 am

TIG Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 am
Radiance

Fooled me on the XP/v7 !
So you should have an up to date IE installation.

The java-script error message is pretty cryptic - can you explain the steps leading up to the error - and you say the the dialog runs OK anyway :?
Does this error appear every time you click on the 'Octane' menu item ?

I have a possible cause - I note that the sliders aren't showing to the right of the two focal/aperture settings - these are made by installing widgets for the yui slider - so you need to have an Internet connection at least initially when you run the dialog so they are loaded - after that they should be cached and load without the Internet connection...

Can you retry with a connection and see if that's the problem...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:46 pm

radiance Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:46 pm
Hey,

Here's a test report on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

I'm using octane 2.2b.
Downloaded and installed current free google sketchup 7.

I extracted the contents of this plugin archive into the sketchup plugins dir.

I opened a testscene (the one i also mailed to you of the sport hall building).
Clicked File -> Octane... -> Plugin started fine (no problems or errors)

Pointed the plugin to my binary (default installation of our commercial package, wiht spaces etc in path, no problems)

One small issue which was annoying was that i had a brand new empty project folder,
and i could'nt select it as my project folder as the dialog to ask for the folder wants a file instead:

* please select a file in a folder to select the 'Project Folder'...

So i fired up textedit and made a dummy file in my new project folder. Can you fix this ? i can imagine users finding this very annoying.

When done i click export and the plugin launched octane twice.
It all goes quite fast so i did'nt catch why it does it 2 times,
but the first time it starts octane, quicly loads the OBJ and textures, exits,
then the plugin fires octane up a 2nd time, loads obj, textures, voxelises and i'm good,
octane is running fine with my scene exported identically with regards to textures/materials etc as on windows.

maybe you can replicate it with the scene i sent you via email, this is the one i used.
I wonder why it starts octane 2 times. for large scenes this will be a bit annoying.

i'll continue my tests now.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby TIG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:31 pm

TIG Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:31 pm
The problem is that the SUp API doesn't let you pick a folder/directory, but only a file [then you take the file's folder ! ] - I had a few ideas over the weekend on how to get around this [not working so far] BUT it's a 'standard problem' with the SUp7 interface. If it's an empty/new folder on a PC you can right-click in the dialog pane and 'add new-text-document' - then pick that - I know it's not elegant :?

If you don't have the .ocs file specified it first runs the command to make a new one using the obj etc and immediately closes, then it opens the [now] existing .ocs to render - as the .ocs exists thereafter it simply opens it every time after that...

I have emailed an updated SKP for you to try that corrects some errors in the original SKP modeling etc... I got an error message about a gmail account and illegal attachments - I assume it's a forwarding thing ? Please email me if you haven't got it...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:59 pm

radiance Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:59 pm
TIG wrote:The problem is that the SUp API doesn't let you pick a folder/directory, but only a file [then you take the file's folder ! ] - I had a few ideas over the weekend on how to get around this [not working so far] BUT it's a 'standard problem' with the SUp7 interface. If it's an empty/new folder on a PC you can right-click in the dialog pane and 'add new-text-document' - then pick that - I know it's not elegant :?

If you don't have the .ocs file specified it first runs the command to make a new one using the obj etc and immediately closes, then it opens the [now] existing .ocs to render - as the .ocs exists thereafter it simply opens it every time after that...

I have emailed an updated SKP for you to try that corrects some errors in the original SKP modeling etc... I got an error message about a gmail account and illegal attachments - I assume it's a forwarding thing ? Please email me if you haven't got it...

i think the export 2x just to get the OCS file is not needed.
people with large models will probably not like this at all as it will take a lot longer.

maybe you can do it like the other plugins, where you launch octane just once and leave the user to work on his scene, and when he's done he can save to his OCS file,
using the commands i wrote in the guidelines ?
that's a better solution than exporting 2x imo.

Radiance
radiance

Postby TIG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:50 pm

TIG Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:50 pm
I am looking at ways of joining the two operations together... BUT if you open a 'new' ocs then when you come to save it it doesn't default - it starts in your directory and offers no name ?

I think that we can somehow make the new ocs file and/or relink to it in one step?

I'll put this and some other stuff into the next beta... I also think I have a fix for the select-directory rather than 'by file' issue.......
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:33 pm

radiance Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:33 pm
TIG wrote:I am looking at ways of joining the two operations together... BUT if you open a 'new' ocs then when you come to save it it doesn't default - it starts in your directory and offers no name ?

I think that we can somehow make the new ocs file and/or relink to it in one step?

I'll put this and some other stuff into the next beta... I also think I have a fix for the select-directory rather than 'by file' issue.......

we will correct this in beta2.3, so it will do the ocs file by default,
so just do it the same as the other plugins, and let the user save the ocs manually after his first export and fine-tune in octane.

launching octane 2x with large models will make people very frustrated...

Radiance
radiance

Postby TIG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 pm

TIG Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 pm
Bet P is now out and addresses these issues...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta o [superseded]

Postby radiance » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 pm

radiance Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 pm
thanks a lot tig, great work ;)

Radiance
radiance

Previous