Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h

Postby SurfingAlien » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm

SurfingAlien Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm
sorry...
octane.command (or octane_new.command) in your project folder
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burkhard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Burkhard Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:31 pm
Hi Surfin...
same error here. I sent a couple of files to TIG. Hopefully we can get it to work.
MacPro Quad * 8Gig RAM * GTX 285 Mac Edition ( delete two GT120 to make it run with octane! ) * Snow Leopard 10.6
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:48 pm

TIG Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:48 pm
Burkhard

Here are a set of variants of your Mac command files...
CommandVariants.zip
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Please unzip them into your project folder and double click each in turn - let me know which [if any] work...
First do the '_new' versions if it works it should make a .ocs file
If they don't make afile try making a .ocs file in the project folder manually - linking to the obj file...
Then double-click on the main command files in turn - they should open the obj in Octane and start to render it...

Other Mac users won't be able to use these as they are specific to B's project, BUT you could try making equivalent adjustments to your own command files and report back...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burkhard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Burkhard Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 pm
Ok, here are the results:
When starting NO_ESCAPE...._new.command with a double click octane starts and imidiately shut down with : invalid drawable ( see attached )
The .ocs file was build.
After taking a double click on the NO-ESCAPE.... .command all works fine. Octane opens, the render works and it seems no problems!

Same with the other NO-ESCAPE commands except the ORIGINAL ones. Same error here as before: no such file or directory ...or... Command not found
Attachments
oct.png
MacPro Quad * 8Gig RAM * GTX 285 Mac Edition ( delete two GT120 to make it run with octane! ) * Snow Leopard 10.6
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:19 pm

SurfingAlien Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:19 pm
:mrgreen: GOT IT! :D
(apologies for the caps...)

please check differences between original and tweaked .command files in the attached archive (don't share the model... it's a copyrighted masterpiece :lol: )

I had to take away the backslashes from the octane executable path only, while keeping them in any other path/object/filename/etc.
I'm not sure this is the final solution but it works for me (note that my data disk is labeled "Macintosh HD" so I always have spaces in paths)

let me know if it works for you too...

cheers,
Alessandro

P.S.: TIG I'm afraid you have to place the texture files in the same folder of .obj and .mtl (I'd prefer your clean approach - dedicated folder - but you have to manually relink any texture this way)
Attachments
SUtoOctaneTestWorking.zip
(304.88 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:41 am

TIG Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:41 am
Burkhard / SurfingAlien

Thanks for the testing - I suspected that the Octane PDF Guide was wrong - here's what I dragged up from the net about Mac command lines

Because the shell interprets 'words' (alphanumeric strings separated by spaces or tabs),
you need to use
either "escape" spaces or other characters with a backslash:

cd /Mac\ OS\ X/abc
or type it all with "quotes":
cd "/Mac OS X/abc"***
So the Octane Guide PDF is completely wrong with its !!! :roll:
cd \"/Mac OS X/abc\"
The \" tells the Unix shell to take the quote character " as an actual " within the text and NOT a 'wrapper' to start reading a 'single string with spaces' until it finds the next closing one - such as a file-path***...

So I will now adjust my Mac codings to have NO escaped quote characters ["] - hopefully this will now make everything work for you Mac users.
It'll be in a new beta-i topic - watch out for it later today...

Incidentally, when you run a Render Frame [or animation] the exporter checks to see if the specified .ocs project file exists [path+name+.ocs] - if it does not then it is made automatically for you - that's the function of the 'octane_new' .cmd/.command file you might find in your project folder- it is doing nothing 'wrong' when it opens and immediately closes the new .ocs project - it's the only way to get it to make the .ocs file if it's missing, using a basic setup, but then continue separately with the rendering using that .ocs file via the octane.cmd/.command file, because the command line arguments must differ in the two cases. You should not get this making+immediate_closing again when rendering your project, if the .ocs file exists. If you already have a .ocs file that you have linked to using the Project Configuration section Use Existing Project button then no '_new' command file should get made as it's never needed...

:P
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:59 am

SurfingAlien Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:59 am
TIG
I noted that if I don't use the \"......" form for the paths (except the first one pointing to the executable) it doesn't work (Octane can't find the .obj because of the space...)
I didn't try to leave the back slashes and take away all the quotes though
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 am

TIG Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 am
SurfingAlien wrote:TIG
I noted that if I don't use the \"......\" form for the paths (except the first one pointing to the executable) it doesn't work (Octane can't find the .obj because of the space...)
I didn't try to leave the back slashes and take away all the quotes though

But Burkhard seems to have it working without backslashes at all - just "..." around each string-sets with spaces in ?

I have just posted beta-i that has none in - please test and feedback - perhaps we need NOT to escape the first and last " only ?
Like "/Mac/.../octane/ -s 256 ... -r \"obj path\" ... \"ocs path\""
that way the whole thing is encapsulated in "..." and the paths [other than the app path] are encapsulated in sub pairs of \"...\" that are read as 'real' "s ???

This is very confusing... :?
Last edited by TIG on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:34 am

SurfingAlien Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:34 am
TIG wrote:Burkhard seems to have it working without backslashes ?
I have posted beta-i that has none - please test and feedback - perhaps we need NOT to escape the first and last " only ?
This is very confusing...

yep, but Burkhard has no spaces in his (?) paths... I just tried the new beta_i (sorry for the OT) and I confirm this: I need proper \"..." to have Octane launching

the console continue to give a "invalid drawable" error but the .ocs is created and the rendering starts (with materials but no textures)

very confusing indeed...
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]

Postby TIG » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:55 am

TIG Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:55 am
OK - beta-j is in progress :roll:
Last edited by TIG on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp