Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h

Postby Nemo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Nemo Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:44 pm
TIG wrote:
_Nemo_ wrote:TIG, I have to go to class right now but I should be able to make those tests and send you those files later today.

Thanks - that's great :D
I too now see the possible 'glitch'... and I'm looking at it - but your feedback would be appreciated too...

It seems that the alpha opacity ['d'] value in the OBJ's MTL file is simply ignored by Octane.
It is properly set in the Octane exported OBJ/MTL files, just as in the SUp Pro OBJ/MTL versions.
[although it's mistakenly set to 'transparency' in the su2obj script, so it takes 30% opacity which should become 0.30 as 0.70 (=1.00-0.30)].
This disregarding of the MTL's opacity value might be done like this deliberately by Octane with a re-link to a mesh OBJ - because you can manually adjust a material's opacity in the Octane .ocs project project and then save it, and later when you re-render it with a new OBJ/MTL file it will remember the materials' current opacity settings [of any previously imported materials], and it will NOT take the SKP>OBJ opacity value... I can see the logic - you don't want to spend ages setting opacity etc in Octane only for it to be overridden by the SKP's values on a re-render from 'Render Frame'.
Similarly if you make your ..anim.ocs version as a copy of the main ocs it will keep any customized material settings and reuse them in the animation png frames exported...
Although the Octane exported OBJ/MLT files do have the correct opacity set from the SKP, Octane quite simply doesn't use it - these files do work OK, because importing them into another application WILL bring in transparent materials with the expected settings !

So to recap - I think it's not a problem with the Octane exporter at all, but it's rather a logical stance by Octane - whereby it ignores imported data that could otherwise screw around with your current carefully crafted settings. Set up the project - run SUp's exporter 'Render Frame' once - then in the Octane ocs adjust opacities etc as desired - either manually till it looks right or if you want to match the SKP's values then look at the material's % opacity in the SUp Materials Browser and convert it to a decimal number < 1, OR perhaps even easier read the MTL file itself, where each material has a 'd' value which is its opacity [last item in its data list - e.g. 0.52] - copy that value into the appropriate Octane ocs Material's opacity value: save the ocs project: now later when you have changed the model and want to re-render it, in SUp 'Render Frame' again and the Octane ocs project will [re]open with the new view, new geometry and changed materials etc, BUT any previously used materials with opacities you had previously set will be rendered - NOT those from the SKP. Any new transparent SKP materials will need their opacities tweaking in the ocs etc etc etc :geek:

I got animation working using 8 pixel quality, though it didn't exactly do what I expected - It rendered one frame for each SKP scene without tweening or transitioning between them like it does in Sketchup (7 Free). Regarding opacities, I was starting to suspect a limitation, intentional or not, in the current Octane beta but I can see where it is practical. I finally figured out how to identify material names in Sketchup so resetting the opacities after the initial import shouldn't be a problem because I'll know which material names to look for. I'm doing most of my tests with free interior scenes from Google's 3D Warehouse and the one in particular I tried last had close to 50 materials and they're not all intuitively named which is a pain. I'm sending you the files via pm so you can see the opacity differences I was seeing.

*edit*
My files are too large to send via the forum so I'll just link the original model and upload a render of what I get in Octane. The original is a model from Google Earth which I downloaded for free to test out how Octane and Sketchup worked with each other: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
Attachments
Apartment 5 Minute Render.png
No material modifications.
GeForce 8800 GTS 512|Q6600|Win7 64bit
Nemo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:28 pm

TIG Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:28 pm
__Nemo__
Thanks for the feedback...

If you have the 'Export Camera' option checked your animation should take the camera from each frame's scene.
If you don't have it checked, it'll use the camera already set in the .._anim.ocs project.
Then if you don't have 'Export Sun Direction checked either all frames will render to look the same - you told it to change nothing except make nnn steps of frames that look the same !? :roll:

It lets you NOT change the camera [and so use the ocs fixed one] BUT then change the lighting as taken from each of the SKP scenes - e.g a sun-path/shadow study.
OR
You can change the camera in each frame, BUT keep the lighting constant [i.e. it's unchecked] -so it uses the lighting as set in the ocs for each varying view.
OR
You select to change the camera AND the lighting - to match those in each scene per frame...

So, make sure you have at least one option checked... UNLESS you want every frame to look identical ?

Unfortunately you do need to have some grip on your materials as you need to adjust them in Octane as well as place/change them in SUp...
Take a moment early on in a SKP project to print off a scene in draft from SUp and annotate it with its materials, as read from the SKP - a quick way to do this is to use the Materials Browser > Model-tab [and Purge Unused - straight off the list is optimized]. Now select a material and right-click > 'Select' - now all faces with that material will highlight - then you know what it is used for - if it's called "material123xyzdingbat" and it's a wall finish change it's name to "wall1" ! Then it'll be easier to find, understand and manage in both SUp AND Octane... It's you model - take control of it ! :geek:

A well structured model is easier to manage and if you are using Octane, much easier to modify materials within its .ocs project... :idea:

As I said already - Octane simply ignores any material's opacity in the exported MTL file [although it's in the MTL file under 'd'] BUT it is deliberate as it allows you to tweak any materials opacity in the Octane ocs project without worrying about it being overridden when you next re-render your model after changing the SKP...

I'll try and look at that linked 3Dw model - but remember that even it were made in the 3D warehouse it's now yours, and YOU have to control it - remember who's the boss :?:
Last edited by TIG on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nemo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Nemo Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 pm
Thanks, TIG, those are some good tips. I really should learn Sketchup again now that I have such a fantastic renderer to use it with. :geek:
GeForce 8800 GTS 512|Q6600|Win7 64bit
Nemo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burkhard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:57 am

Burkhard Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:57 am
I try to open Octane by using the Render Frame button.
It calculate the obj in Sketchup but it does not open the Octane app.

I'm on Macpro all with the newest Versions and yes, the path to Octane is choosen.

Any suggestions?
MacPro Quad * 8Gig RAM * GTX 285 Mac Edition ( delete two GT120 to make it run with octane! ) * Snow Leopard 10.6
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:33 pm

TIG Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:33 pm
Burkhard wrote:I try to open Octane by using the Render Frame button.
I'm on Macpro all with the newest Versions and yes, the path to Octane is chosen.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback - I need Mac users to help here...
We are having awful trouble with the Mac command-line syntax - do you know anything about writing them? - the Octane PDF guide is very scant - or maybe just 'wrong' in places.
Please zip [or rar] your project.command file[s] and PM it to me...
Keep all of the project's files [obj/mtl/ocs etc] as just made - we can test an adjusted .command file on them later, without activating Sketchup again.
When I get you files I'll make some adjusted versions for you to try double-clicking on and see if you can get an acceptable result with one of them - then please report which [if any] work - hopefully I can then make beta-i that will work on Mac properly... :roll:
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burkhard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Burkhard Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:19 pm
Ahhh, here I can make the upload. Why are zip, obj...files are not allowed in pm. Radiance please.....
Attachments
Archiv.zip
(326.13 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
MacPro Quad * 8Gig RAM * GTX 285 Mac Edition ( delete two GT120 to make it run with octane! ) * Snow Leopard 10.6
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:46 pm

SurfingAlien Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:46 pm
Burkhard wrote:I try to open Octane by using the Render Frame button.

I'm on Macpro all with the newest Versions and yes, the path to Octane is choosen.

Any suggestions?

Hi Burkhard!

just to confirm some behavior:

1) try to point directly to the octane unix executable (octane[...].app/Contents/MacOS/octane) - you can do it inside SU or manually changing .command files

2) try to open the .command files and remove all the back slashes \ ; save it ; double click and see what happens (I get a crash with a bus error warning in the console)
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burkhard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Burkhard Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:51 pm
Yep pointed directly to the path, but I'm not confirm with thecommand.files
I can see the backslashes in the Temninal.app but how and where can I change it? ( I'm relativ a noob on Mac )

Burkhard
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm

SurfingAlien Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm
"open with" Text Editor (or similar), edit the text file and save over the old version (don't save as or you'll get a plain .txt file unless you changed default properties of TEd, if you wanna keep the original .command file just make a copy before editing)

so what you get calling the original one instead? a "no such file or directory" error?
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burkhard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Burkhard Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:15 pm
I don't know which file I have to open.
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp