Material Export Problems

Forums: Material Export Problems
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Material Export Problems

Postby KAMISI » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 am

KAMISI Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 am
When I export from Sketchup8 to Octane, I have some problems with material/texture scale...
Using the SU standard material without any texturing the applied LiveDB material in Octane is much too small. I checked all unit settings are meters in SU and in Octane import.
While replacing my Sketchup materials with LiveDB materials I found out, that Octane scales the texture depending on the size of the SketchUp texture. So when replacing different SU textures by one material in Octane - i get the same material with different texture sizes.
Is there a way to adjust the material import settings. Or what ame I doing wrong?
Thanks for your comments and help.
KAMISI
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Material Export Problems

Postby TIG » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:02 am

TIG Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:02 am
It doesn't matter what units you have set in the SKP.
The exporter always uses meters anyway.
The units set for Octane should also be meters.
Materials export with the correct RGB values.
You need to manually reset any Alpha transparency.
If a material has a texture then that is imported into Octane as an image and it is UV-mapped per facet to mimic the SKP.
If you applied the textured-material to a face it will have its UV-mapping adjusted individually in the SKP and in the OCS.
If a textured-material is applied to a group or component-instance the exported faces have a basic UV-mapping.
What are these LiveDB materials of which you speak?
Are you trying to import different images to the OCS materials?
The original image in the SKP material might have been scaled, it might then have been UV-mapped per face.
When you swap the image file in the OCS it must have the same size/scale as the original image in the SKP.
Why aren't you setting the textures in the SKP and using them in the OCS ???
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KAMISI » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

KAMISI Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am
Thanks for the information TIG. There is a preset of materials in octane - in the socalled Live DB - an I wanted to replace my SU-materials with those materials in octane.
But these materials are not scaled correctly- as described above.
I have already worked on with my SU-materials and own adjustments in octane (added bump and reflection maps etc.). Sometimes the bump does not seem to work - I think this is also because of the scale import depending on the original texture? What do you think?
KAMISI
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:14 am

TIG Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:14 am
If you are sure you want to apply all of the textures inside the OCS then use plain-materials [i.e. no texture-images] for the faces in the SKP.
Then there is no unusual UV-mapping at all when you swap out the OCS materials...
If the OCS settings are to import in meters [correct default] the 'meter' OBJ file will import with the correct sizes.
Then you can texture the originally-plain-materials as needed with no UV-mapping issues, except for those you make for yourself with the new material ?
:?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KAMISI » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:30 pm

KAMISI Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:30 pm
Allright... I think I`ll change my workflow, set textures in SU and add material detail in octane. The scale problem is still the same- even if I work with sketchup standard materials without textures the applied materials from the LiveDB are too small... the model seems to be imported 10.000% size (1m Sketchup=100m Octane).
KAMISI
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:02 pm

TIG Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:02 pm
If SKP and OCS are both in meters I can't see why there's an issue... I think you need to pose this material question in another section of this forum... :?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dom » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:57 pm

dom Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:57 pm
I have exactly the same problem. The Octane Render material is too large, it seems to be scaled by factor 1000 or so. Is there really no solution for this problem yet?

Kind regards

Dominique
dom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 am

roeland Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 am
There are two things that need to be scaled correctly, one is the size of the mesh (the OBJ file), which determines the scale of procedural textures, the other is the scale of the UV coordinates, which determines the scale of image textures.

Is there a problem with image textures or procedurals?

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby dom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 am

dom Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 am
I examined the problem further and found that the problem only occurs under certain circumstances. I think a few example images will explain what I mean:

I created a SketchUp model by importing a floor plan (using "File", "Import") and building the model on top of it. In attachment test4.png you can see the model with the floor plan.
test4.png
Floor with imported floor plan

When the floor plan texture is replaced by a material from OctaneRender's LiveDB it is scaled incorrectly (test2.png).
test2.png
Floor with imported floor plan replaced with OctaneRender LiveDB material

However if a face is created in SketchUp with a normal SketchUp texture (test1.png)
test1.png
Floor with SketchUp Texture

and this texture is replaced by a material from OctaneRender's LiveDB it is scaled correctly (test3.png).
test3.png
Floor with SketchUp Texture replaced with OctaneRender LiveDB material

Do you see what I mean? It looks like a bug in OctaneRender, not in the SketchUp exporter. Materials in LiveDB have a certain size, there is a 10cm raster below the material preview for this purpose. And when applying such a material, this size certainly has to taken into account, regardless of the scaling of the original texture of a face. Do you understand what I mean? Can you fix this with the next update of OctaneRender? :)

And on an unrelated topic: Will you improve the 3D mouse navigation in OctaneRender? Is there a way to roll the camera clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Thank you very much! :)

Kind regards

Dominique
dom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 am

TIG Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 am
Have you done the LiveDB tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Q1EFXIu_I

Individual Materials in LiveDB can have a plethora of settings.
The examples below show a SKP with a plain 'pink' material and a textured brick material with two UV-mappings [the right one is 0.5 scaled] - in SKP and in OCS.
You can see that using the LiveDB>Material>Skin>Leather gives the same appearance to both swapped [relinked] materials, with both brick faces looking the same even with their different UV-mapping in the SKp and original OCS view.
However, using the LiveDB>Material>Cloth>Wallpaper gives different appearances to ALL materials, the originally untextured 'pink' seems to loose all scaling, and the two brick textured faces now seem to respect the different UV-mapping this time - as one might expect.
It is possible to Edit the settings for the LiveDB materials so the size changes...

As far as I can see you need to plan your SKP with the use of LiveDB in mind - swapping out only one SKP material for one LiveDB material; adjusting the LiveDB's texture scaling to suit, especially if the SKP material UV-mapping has been adjusted or the material is 'plain' [untextured]. You need to plan the size of a SKM texture so that you don't UV-map scale it in the SKP, as this will affect the LiveDB material scaling. There seems to be considerable differences between LiveDB materials' initial settings, so you must adjust each swapped material to suit your needs - it is unlikely to work straight out the box every time...
SKP.PNG
OCSasSKP.PNG
LiveDBMaterialSkin.PNG
LiveDBMaterialWallpaper.PNG
LiveDBMaterialSkinEdit.PNG
LiveDBMaterialWallpaperEdit.PNG
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to SketchUp