component "always face camera"

Forums: component "always face camera"
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

component "always face camera"

Postby Interfaces » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Interfaces Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 pm
Is it possible to have a component "always face camera" in octane render?
example: a tree, a character, as animals with sketchup.
Interfaces
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: component "always face camera"

Postby pixelrush » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 pm

pixelrush Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 pm
As in billboards? No not yet.
I believe Refractive are working on changes ATM that will allow scale,rotation and translation of meshes.
I guess with a bit more code a billboard plane could be rotated perpendicular to the ground plane so the normal of the billboard is parallel to the horizontal component of the camera normal...hmmm did I get that right?... :roll: :lol:
You could flag the billboard(s) say by special name or manually by option check box in the material so Octane knew it was required to act like that. With instancing I suppose it could be possible to have a whole forest or crowd face the camera in a circle... :shock:
That's the other thing, mesh instancing is on the way so perhaps the need for billboards is less or even redundant soon.

Get your request for facing billboards in now if you need it. :geek: Could be a while coming though... ;)

If you have a mesh rather than a plane I suppose that's doable too based on its original orientation relative to the camera when its first loaded...dunno..my brain is getting tired... :)
Can't think of a situation off hand where you would want to 'face' a full mesh rather than a billboard though.
I'm not sure how Refractive will handle their new code. I guess it loads the geometry per usual and it is transformed by cuda maths utilities on the fly so the original position is always available for reference.
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp