Can't see the exported model in Octane

Forums: Can't see the exported model in Octane
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Can't see the exported model in Octane

Postby drucom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:08 am

drucom Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:08 am
Hi, this is my first post and if I'm making a mistake posting this here I apologize.

I was working on a sketchup model last night an rendering it with Octane. For some reason, when I export it, it usually shows the models quite zoomed out and I have to zoom into them inside Octane. That's a minor inconvenience, however, and not my actual problem.

Now, and this isn't the first time it happens nor is it the first file that I have this happen with, when I export the model, Octane opens up, it shows that it's rendering something, but I can't actually see the model. I can't even find it. I don't know if there's a command or a key to zoom in to the model automatically, but it's quite frustrating.

Is there something I'm doing blatantly wrong? What I've done does not differ at all from what I was doing before.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thought I'd mention that I'm using an NVIDIA GTX 260 (Core 216), and running Octane beta version 2.52
drucom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can't see the exported model in Octane

Postby t_3 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 am

t_3 Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 am
drucom wrote:Hi, this is my first post and if I'm making a mistake posting this here I apologize.

I was working on a sketchup model last night an rendering it with Octane. For some reason, when I export it, it usually shows the models quite zoomed out and I have to zoom into them inside Octane. That's a minor inconvenience, however, and not my actual problem.

Now, and this isn't the first time it happens nor is it the first file that I have this happen with, when I export the model, Octane opens up, it shows that it's rendering something, but I can't actually see the model. I can't even find it. I don't know if there's a command or a key to zoom in to the model automatically, but it's quite frustrating.

Is there something I'm doing blatantly wrong? What I've done does not differ at all from what I was doing before.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thought I'd mention that I'm using an NVIDIA GTX 260 (Core 216), and running Octane beta version 2.52

did you take care about units? base unit for octane is "meter" and the default camera is 10 meters away, pointing to 0/0/0. silly question: is octane actually rendering something, or might it be another problem? i.e. is the viewport greyish or black...

EDIT: if you know the dimensions of your scene, you should be able to place the camera by using some appropriate numbers for position and target point.
The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply

1x i7 2600K @5.0 (Asrock Z77), 16GB, 2x Asus GTX Titan 6GB @1200/3100/6200
2x i7 2600K @4.5 (P8Z68 -V P), 12GB, 1x EVGA GTX 580 3GB @0900/2200/4400
t_3

Re: Can't see the exported model in Octane

Postby TIG » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:10 pm

TIG Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:10 pm
Do you have your OCS preferences import > units set to 'meters'.
The Exporter converts your SKP geometry/camera location into 'meters' - no matter what your 'model-units' might be...
This is often the source of this kind of issue... :?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp