Aces and thinkbox deadline

Forums: Aces and thinkbox deadline
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Aces and thinkbox deadline

Postby gifmotion » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:27 am

gifmotion Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:27 am
Hey Otoy,

I can't seem to get aces to work on deadline with my computers. the computer that I submitted from with render but the other computers say the following.

2022-08-08 19:13:53: 0: STDOUT: Rendering frame 35 at <Mon Aug 8 19:13:52 2022>
2022-08-08 19:13:53: 0: STDOUT: Select some OCIO color space!!!
2022-08-08 19:13:53: 0: STDOUT: Render stopped because you need to select some OCIO color space to continue with the current OCIO option!!!

I have ACES all saved in the same location on each computer at C:\ACES\aces_1.2\config.ocio

I think it works set to ACES CG but not with Rec 709
Attachments
parsecd_P8LF0DarwX.png
gifmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Aces and thinkbox deadline

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:20 am

bepeg4d Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:20 am
Hi,
if all the clients are able ro render and save in OCIO from c4doctane, then probably the issue is in the deadline-c4doctane LUA script :roll:

Have you tried to contact Thinkbox Deadline support about this?

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby elsksa » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:36 pm

elsksa Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:36 pm
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gifmotion » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 am

gifmotion Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 am
What do you mean it's not supposed to be changed?

If I decide that I prefer the look I'm getting with Aces and tone mapping in the live viewer. And I want to have it in 16-bit PNGs SRGB, How should my render settings be?

I found I was able to get the look I wanted with the attachment setting below. It just wasn't working with Deadline.

Attachments
ApplicationFrameHost_z7VzCDyn1T.png
gifmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:24 pm

elsksa Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:24 pm
gifmotion wrote:What do you mean it's not supposed to be changed?

ACEScg is not a "look", and the Rec.709 isn't either, both are "technical options".
In very short: ACEScg was designed as a working scene-linear colorspace (mainly towards "non-spectral renderers"). Rec.709 is one of the ACES ODTs (Output Device Transform). For any user-subjective look, it should be properly done in post or "implemented" as part of a custom OCIO configuration file (LMT, Look Modification Transform), for instance.

However, ACES is highly subject to avoidance. It doesn't improve the imagery as many people fallaciously think so. Moreover, Octane is even less requiring ACES as it is already a spectral renderer.
This is what Octane needs. The page is recent, and still a work-in-progress.

gifmotion wrote:If I decide that I prefer the look I'm getting with Aces and tone mapping in the live viewer.

Only ACES, other options named "tone-mapping" in Octane, are "disabled" or shouldn't be used.
ACES, via OCIO, is color-managing the whole project (and is the point of OCIO, although ACES fails at it).
There is something wrong in your screenshot. Refer to this page (which I did link in my previous reply). It's capital to aknowledge the fundamentals of Octane & Post Imaging Pipeline. If you can't find out after carefully reading the page, do not hesitate to reach out.

gifmotion wrote:And I want to have it in 16-bit PNGs SRGB, How should my render settings be?

PNG should be avoided at all cost.
https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/file-format-debunk for more information.

gifmotion wrote:I found I was able to get the look I wanted with the attachment setting below. It just wasn't working with Deadline.

Deadline would have likely already worked as expected, without ACES due to its added workload and how it's confusing majority of individuals who do not have background in digital imaging. One more reason to avoid it. It's really dispensable. Anyone thinking otherwise is welcomed to reach out to me, for further explanations. Although it is mentioned on the pages I've linked.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D